Author Topic: O'Bryant hate  (Read 24220 times)

Re: O'Bryant hate
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2008, 02:08:50 PM »

Offline tapper

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 2
I think we should remember a few of things. One, we got nothing from pollard last year and BB and Powe did the job until PJ got here. Both Powe and BB should be better players this year. O'B can be used by Doc in limited situations to find out if he can fill the role. I think if the celts bring him along  with caution and build his confidence up, he will be a useful backup. Maybe even better than any of us could have hoped.

« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2008, 02:16:13 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
If this guy plays like Mark Blount next year, the Cs would have found themselves a bargain backup bg. 
Blount had 34 blocks and 263 total rebounds in 1542 minutes (that is 0.8 blk and 6 rebs per 36 minutes).  O'Bryant had 9 blocks and 29 rebs in 99 minutes (that is 3.3 and 10.5 per 36).  I suspect that many of those 99 minutes came during garbage time but still, he did put something in the score book.  All we are going to ask him to do is defend within the team concept, keep his man from getting Off Rebs (and maybe get some himself) and then finish when he is left all alone and given a pass.  I think he already can defend and rebound better than Blount (which isn't saying much) and we just don't need all that much more from him to be a productive bench big man.

I can't understand Don Nelson and why he wouldn't be trying to get about the same out of young 7-footer.  I don't get the role that Nellie seems to want his Centers to play. O'Bryant may be like many young players who never figure it out but I can't see how you could call this a bad pick-up.  Whether or not we still need even more depth at center doesn't take away from a decision to grab a young big guy for relatively cheap money.

he wants his centers to be like dirk and sheed, rebound, toss the outlet, and be able to hit a 3 as a trailer.

o'bryant's problem was he was drafted by the previous coach, who played half court (which is what O'bryan is suited for, a set defense) and had no place in nellies "who cares abotu half court defense just score!!!!!" strategy.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2008, 02:29:44 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
I think we should remember a few of things. One, we got nothing from pollard last year and BB and Powe did the job until PJ got here. Both Powe and BB should be better players this year. O'B can be used by Doc in limited situations to find out if he can fill the role. I think if the celts bring him along  with caution and build his confidence up, he will be a useful backup. Maybe even better than any of us could have hoped.

That's somewhat of a myth; you forget about Posey.  The Celtics frequently went to an undersized lineup with Posey at the 4.  They can't do that this year. 

I think Danny will find some solution.  But the point remains, O'Bryant is best as a something that could be pleasant surprise, not something that should be relied on. 

And let's not underestimate the value of size.  While I applaud Danny for looking at Powe and Davis's talent, not size, in landing them, you can't argue that one of the reasons that the C's had such a hard time with Atlanta was because of size and athleticism.  Having another 7-footer instead of a 6-7 center would help in that department.

« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2008, 02:37:16 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

That's somewhat of a myth; you forget about Posey.  The Celtics frequently went to an undersized lineup with Posey at the 4.  They can't do that this year. 

I think Danny will find some solution.  But the point remains, O'Bryant is best as a something that could be pleasant surprise, not something that should be relied on. 

And let's not underestimate the value of size.  While I applaud Danny for looking at Powe and Davis's talent, not size, in landing them, you can't argue that one of the reasons that the C's had such a hard time with Atlanta was because of size and athleticism.  Having another 7-footer instead of a 6-7 center would help in that department.

they've done that undersized lineup with powe and BBD at the 4 and KG at the 5 before. not as effective as the posey at the 4 option certainly, but a possable good, agressive smallball lineup that could shoot the 3 when were down big would be.

rondo
house
R.Allen
Pierce
KG

or, if you want more defense, but give up some of the shooting

rondo
T.Allen
R.Allen
Pierce
KG

shooting from the PG you could go

house
T.Allen
R.Allen
Pierce
KG

none of these are lineups you'd want to trot out on a regular basis, but niether was the posey at the 4 lineup, it was a situational lineup that turned out to work well. you discover those during the course of the regular season, and im sure we'll discover some over 82 games this year as well.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2008, 02:53:25 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
i'd be a huge fan of :
Rondo
House
R.Allen
Pierce
Garnett

« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2008, 03:20:32 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Too bad we don't have Posey to use this lineup:

Rondo
Tony
Giddens
Posey
Garnett

or the:

Tony
Giddens
Posey/Pierce
Powe
Garnett

Here are some I'd be interested in (some curiousities more than anything). Mainly looking for athletism from the bench, penetration, fast break opportunities, foul drawing, and defense:

Rondo
Tony
Giddens
Walker
Garnett

Rondo
Tony
Walker
Garnett
O'bryant

Rondo
Giddens
Walker
Garnett
O'bryant

Rondo
Ray
Giddens
Pierce
Garnett

Tony
Giddens
Pierce
Powe
Garnett

Rondo
Giddens
Pierce
Powe
Garnett

Rondo
Pierce
Walker
Powe
Garnett

There are many more, but that's the gist of it.

« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2008, 03:33:53 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
POB could be our starting 5 in 2-3 years. If Perk goes down with an injury again, sooner than that.

« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2008, 03:34:28 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I'm not really going to read this full thread, but I just want to say this...

I guarantee ... regardless of how everyone feels about the "stiff/bust" at this point... that at some time during this next season one (or many) of the posters here will come to the conclusion that Patrick O'Bryant is the next _____ <--- insert retired former superstar center here.  

Should we start a pool?  My money is on the comparison being Patrick Ewing.  And I'm guessing it happens after a random Celtic blowout where O'Bryant gets in the game and pulls down 9 rebounds in 12 minutes of action.   I'm guessing the thread will reach 9 pages by morning and that everyone will be debating how soon he makes the allstar team.

If I'm right, I win.

I know you people far too well.  You will bash him right now, but by mid-season he'll be the next great American center.  A former lotto pick with "unlimited potential" who just needed a shot.  I fully expect people to cry about his lack of minutes, someone to suggest he should be starting over Perk, and at least one conspiracy theory involving Doc Rivers holding him back.  It's time to just buckle in and enjoy the show, I say.   :-)

Personal thought:  I don't mind the signing.  I wanted us to sign a young 7 footer to work with Clifford Ray and hopefully be inspired by Kevin Garnett.  My hope was that we could find a "7 footer with potential" in the draft, but this "stiff/bust" fits that concept pretty well.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 03:41:24 PM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2008, 04:11:08 PM »

Offline PRIDE

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 41
If Patrick O'Bryant is in Waltham working out right now then I think he will develop into a solid center. We have great coaches and a great facility and if he isn't taking advantage of that at this time of year then he's gonna be a dud. He needs to get stronger and have Clifford Ray work on his post game. His conditioning is also a problem and it makes me wonder if he failed in Nellie ball because he couldn't get up and down the court with the other 9 players. Perk stays in great shape so he can play as many minutes as he can. If O'Bryant doesn't get his conditioning to that level then he wont make it in this league.

« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2008, 04:51:19 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
If Patrick O'Bryant is in Waltham working out right now then I think he will develop into a solid center.
He is actually somewhere in Texas(?) participating in Coach Ray's big man camp.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #40 on: July 23, 2008, 05:02:50 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
If Patrick O'Bryant is in Waltham working out right now then I think he will develop into a solid center. We have great coaches and a great facility and if he isn't taking advantage of that at this time of year then he's gonna be a dud. He needs to get stronger and have Clifford Ray work on his post game. His conditioning is also a problem and it makes me wonder if he failed in Nellie ball because he couldn't get up and down the court with the other 9 players. Perk stays in great shape so he can play as many minutes as he can. If O'Bryant doesn't get his conditioning to that level then he wont make it in this league.

Quote from: Boston Globe
Ainge said O'Bryant will have the tough task of earning playing time off the bench over Powe and Davis. O'Bryant will spend much of the offseason working out at the Celtics' training facility in Waltham and will attend assistant coach Clifford Ray's big man development camp in Orlando, Fla.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #41 on: July 23, 2008, 05:19:13 PM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 406
o'bryant is 22 years old, 7 foot tall, a mobile instinctive shot blocker with a soft touch around the rim.
i have a good feeling about this signing...

give the kid a chance...

« Reply #42 on: July 23, 2008, 05:22:14 PM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 406

I guarantee ... regardless of how everyone feels about the "stiff/bust" at this point... that at some time during this next season one (or many) of the posters here will come to the conclusion that Patrick O'Bryant is the next _____ <--- insert retired former superstar center here. 

tyson chandler

« Reply #43 on: July 23, 2008, 05:26:05 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Honestly, I don't think anyone knows what will happen with this kid.  The talent is undeniable, but so are the questions about him.

I would not be surprised if he doesn't play a meaningful minute next year, and I wouldn't be any more surprised if he ends up playing 15 minutes a game, and is incredibly effective.

I think the deciding factor will be how much desire he has to succeed.  If he is willing to do the work, then I think this could be a steal...but if he is half-assing it, then it will be wasted money.

« Reply #44 on: July 23, 2008, 05:36:06 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385

Should we start a pool?  My money is on the comparison being Patrick Ewing.  And I'm guessing it happens after a random Celtic blowout where O'Bryant gets in the game and pulls down 9 rebounds in 12 minutes of action.   I'm guessing the thread will reach 9 pages by morning and that everyone will be debating how soon he makes the allstar team.

Come on!  9 rebounds in 12 minutes!  That's like 36 rpg over 48 minutes!  People will be evoking names like Bill Russell and Wilt Chamberlain!  Just like Brandon Hunter was the next Charles Barkley, Jerome Moiso the next Kevin Garnett, J.R. Bremer the next Dennis Johnson, Jiri Welsch the next John Havlicek, Joe Forte the next Vinny Johnson, Gerald Green the next Tracy McGrady, and Ron Mercer the next Michael Jordan.