Author Topic: O'Bryant hate  (Read 24223 times)

Re: O'Bryant hate
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2008, 11:34:35 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I wonder if anyone who posts on here has actually seen this guy play as a professional? It would be amazing if anyone had, since the guy played very few minutes. 

Here is a sneak preview of what we might expect:

http://www.youtube.com/v/zm7zNa5aCy4&hl=en&fs=1

Looks to me like he's got all the tools. It's up to him to make something of himself, but if he's committed to do the work, I think this signing can potentially offer huge reward and very little risk.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2008, 11:41:37 AM »

Offline iowa plowboy

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
I'd take O'Bryant in a heartbeat if he plays anything like O'Blount did under O'Brien....Especially on the defensive end.

Coach Ray seems to get the most out of big men like Obie got the best out of everybody so I think this can work.  Huge reward if it does.

« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2008, 11:52:41 AM »

Offline ram

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 32
Highlight films are always impressive but Wow!

A more athletic, taller center who can run the court...

I love Perk and what he brings, how hard he plays and how strong he is but when you see how open he (Perk) gets due to all the attention the other 4 get, you have to dream about a taller, more athletic player getting those wide open chippies.

The question is can he learn the defensive schemes. Is intelligence (lack of) what held him back in Golden State?

I can't wait to see him play in green.

« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2008, 12:21:16 PM »

Offline truthhurts34

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 11
He looks softer than charmin

« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2008, 12:24:18 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
my best friend's favorite team (other than the C's) is the warriors, so he tivo'd every game last year and i got a good look at watching o'bryant play. i really think that he didn't have a chance to show off his talent in the run and gun system and will be able to show off his skills here in boston. STOP HATIN!

« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2008, 12:25:23 PM »

Offline gar

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 247
  • Strength from Within
Mark Blount Comp (O'Blount) is totally unfair. Besides, he does not have Blount's soft contract to fall back on. The Celtics have everything to gain and not much to loose on this one. POB's agent also deserves some credit in seeing this as a good route to revitalize his career. The Anxiety may also be tied to BBD's minutes at center.

Other related Questions:
Can BBD play center or is he retooling himself as a PF?
Can Scal play SF or do we need help @ SF

« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2008, 12:38:22 PM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
he is somehow a tyson Chandler clone when he fully develops, he has a soft touch around the rim and likes to catch and shoot at the top of his head with arms outstretch, that is good IMO and will serve him well once he matures....I have not given up on POB he is very young and will definitely would still improve.

« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2008, 12:47:26 PM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible
I wonder if anyone who posts on here has actually seen this guy play as a professional? It would be amazing if anyone had, since the guy played very few minutes. 

Looks to me like he's got all the tools. It's up to him to make something of himself, but if he's committed to do the work, I think this signing can potentially offer huge reward and very little risk.

he's probably not very consistant, but in that video, he has some serious allstar moves; aka flashes of brillance. then again gerald does too.

Become Legendary.

« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2008, 12:53:10 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

he's probably not very consistant, but in that video, he has some serious allstar moves; aka flashes of brillance. then again gerald does too.

gearld also got more than 5 minutes a game.

im looking at this kid as a rookie, i can't judge him based on nelli relagating him to the end of the bench because he was a half court player he inherited from a defunct coaching staff.

as far as im concerned, he has a clean slate, lets see what he does with it. should be a good subplot for the regular season.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2008, 12:54:07 PM »

Offline ram

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 32
excerpts from Draftexpress scouting report 2 years ago:

Patrick O’Bryant has the type of body that will always attract NBA attention. O’Bryant is legitimately 7 feet tall, and has an outstanding frame. Despite already weighing in at 260 pounds, O’Bryant has plenty of room to add weight. While O'Bryant doesn't appear particularly athletic at first glance, he is that and more when you consider just how big he is.He posses a 7’5 wingspan and a 9’4 standing reach, freakish even for NBA standards. By the time he is done developing, he could be one of the more physically imposing big men in the NBA.

Of course, there is more than just a prototype NBA body here. O’Bryant is your classic late bloomer, after a non-descript high school career and very little high-D1 recruiting interest (local school Minnesota didn’t offer him). He has made a stunning turnaround at Bradley, developing into a force as a rebounder and shot blocker, and dramatically improving his all-around game. Obviously, improvement like this doesn’t come without a lot of hard work and dedication. For this reason, it is likely that O’Bryant will continue to improve down the road.

O’Bryant is a dominant shot blocker, able to alter shots with either hand. While he isn’t as bouncy as many of the nation’s leading swatters, he is quick off his feet for a player his size. Typical back to the basket scorers have trouble with his size and length, and O’Bryant does a great job of not just blocking shots as a help defender, but also altering the shots of the man he is guarding.

O’Bryant is very tough to stop once he gets the ball close to the basket, as he is very strong finisher.

His upside is immense, with a potent combination of length, strength, and athleticism. There are 7-footers stronger than O’Bryant and 7-footers quicker than O’Bryant, but very few that are both.

« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2008, 12:57:41 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Yeah, roll the dice. 

But have someone on the team that can be the 2nd center in case he craps out. 

Agreed.  I've got no problem with a project at the end of the roster, but if he's actually going to be relied upon as the primary backup, I see that as an issue.

Danny did mention the team has a hole at center right now, so hopefully he rectifies that.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2008, 01:03:32 PM »

Offline Oldschoolkid

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 5
How can anyone except other teams dislike this guy....? Give him a chance in "our" system......let him prove himself....you can't teach height!!! We do need a backup center, and there he is...!

« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2008, 01:09:05 PM »

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 213
Thanks for posting the youtube clip.  I searched it out and watched it when I first heard of the signing, and one of the things I got out of it was hot soft his approach is to taking shots.  I saw a lot of fallaway crap on almost all of the non-dunks. 

The jump hook over Kamen from the right block was impressive and showed a nice touch, but again, it was going away from the basket. If he can just learn Perk's one offensive move, the back in and jump hook, he could help the cause, because he displays a lot of lateral quickness and lenght, and decent hands for rebounding. 

I'm guessing that Perk is going to murder this guy physically in workouts, and he's going to improve. 

« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2008, 01:13:50 PM »

Offline Hoops

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 5

I'm much more optimistic about O'Bryant than many of the people on this board, but "serious all-star moves"? Really? He may have some great moves, but I didn't see him do anything in that video that I would consider to be special. Let's keep the hyperbole to a minimum, please.

« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2008, 01:32:03 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
If this guy plays like Mark Blount next year, the Cs would have found themselves a bargain backup bg. 
Blount had 34 blocks and 263 total rebounds in 1542 minutes (that is 0.8 blk and 6 rebs per 36 minutes).  O'Bryant had 9 blocks and 29 rebs in 99 minutes (that is 3.3 and 10.5 per 36).  I suspect that many of those 99 minutes came during garbage time but still, he did put something in the score book.  All we are going to ask him to do is defend within the team concept, keep his man from getting Off Rebs (and maybe get some himself) and then finish when he is left all alone and given a pass.  I think he already can defend and rebound better than Blount (which isn't saying much) and we just don't need all that much more from him to be a productive bench big man.

I can't understand Don Nelson and why he wouldn't be trying to get about the same out of young 7-footer.  I don't get the role that Nellie seems to want his Centers to play. O'Bryant may be like many young players who never figure it out but I can't see how you could call this a bad pick-up.  Whether or not we still need even more depth at center doesn't take away from a decision to grab a young big guy for relatively cheap money.