Celtics Basketball > Celtics Talk

The Hayward/Baynes Shuffle

(1/8) > >>

Big333223:
Aron Baynes started the third quarter in place of Hayward last night and it sounds like this was planned and will be the plan while Hayward is still on his minutes restriction.

I think this is a smart move by Stevens and maybe should continue even when Hayward is back 100%. I know there are posters here who think Baynes should be a full starter. I love this little shuffle as a way of keeping Hayward a starter helping ensure his rhythm and confidence but also coming out of halftime with a bigger, tougher lineup.

It's also a convenient way of staggering minutes for the top 5 and giving Hayward time to run some offense with the bench, against other benches.

knuckleballer:
Many posters here have been advocating to use Hayward off the bench to ease his transition back and to have a scorer with the 2nd unit.  I'm guessing Stevens might be thinking the same.  He's starting him in the first quarter so not to disrespect him.  It makes a lot of sense.

Celtics4ever:
Does Moranis still think Baynes can't guard Embiid because he did well on him last night?

hpantazo:

--- Quote from: Celtics4ever on October 17, 2018, 05:38:03 PM ---Does Moranis still think Baynes can't guard Embiid because he did well on him last night?

--- End quote ---

I was wondering about this. Baynes was great against him on both ends of the floor last night

IDreamCeltics:

--- Quote from: knuckleballer on October 17, 2018, 05:10:58 PM ---Many posters here have been advocating to use Hayward off the bench to ease his transition back and to have a scorer with the 2nd unit.  I'm guessing Stevens might be thinking the same.  He's starting him in the first quarter so not to disrespect him.  It makes a lot of sense.

--- End quote ---

I'm not sure that's a good idea.  Hayward's scoring (and overall game) is pretty mediocre right now even when surrounded by the best players on the team.  I don't think you want him trying to carry the scoring load for any unit at the moment. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version