Author Topic: Harry Giles Thread (Merged)  (Read 41277 times)

Re: Harry Giles has knee surgery (Out 6 weeks)
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2016, 06:54:18 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Seems like a candidate to stay in school for an extra year, or else fall to the back of the lottery, maybe even to the end of the 1st round.

I like Tatum and Jackson better anyway.  We need to add more wings with size.
This surgery is only going to have him out like 6 weeks. I expect that he will still be a top 5 pick.

I'm of the mind that a prospect is being foolish if they are a top 10 pick and choose to stay another year.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

Harry Giles damaged goods?
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2016, 06:20:41 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
He is out currently for about 6 weeks due to surgery on his left knee (Oct 2016)

He has torn his mcl, acl on his left knee and acl on his right knee in the past

Question is , is he on the same unfortunate path Greg Oden travelled on or with better medical

assistance via college/nba could lead to a proper road to recovery  (Embiid, Noel)?

Would you bite the bullet and take him at #5 for example?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/acc/2016/10/03/duke-star-freshman-harry-giles-has-knee-surgery/91478024/

Re: Harry Giles damaged goods?
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2016, 06:24:33 PM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
I have honestly been thinking about this alot since I have started looking forward to this draft. Its so tough because he is a top two talent.

But as you have brought up, he hasnt played a single game in college, yet his knees are basically bionic at this point. We will just have to see how he progresses along this year and trust the Cs doctors.

I think it would be hard for me to bite the bullet at 5. Talent, but its scary.
#JKJB

Re: Harry Giles damaged goods?
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2016, 06:32:35 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
He is kinda what Drose is at this point.

Harry Giles Thread (Merged)
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2016, 12:52:42 PM »

Offline Bostoncelticsforlife7

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 18
I know I just made a post about how we need to draft Josh Jackson, but I have changed my mind. I now stand in favor of drafting Harry Giles. He has the potential to be a Deandre Jordan Type rebounder, which would do wonders for our team. He is a versatility defender who can guard the perimeter and protect the rim. He has shown flashes on offense with his post hooks and runners. He is a very good athlete, can finish above the rim, and has a decent mid range jumper. He has great size at 6'11 with a 7'3 wingspan. Watching him rebound with his long body and nose for the ball send shivers of excitement down my spine. I can only imagine how good our team could be with a guy like Giles. Even with all of his injuries I would still take a chance on him, given his insane talent and upside.

Here is his scouting video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoBrMdMfWh4
Warning: I am a Marucs Smart homer

Re: Harry Giles is our guy
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2016, 12:56:35 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I know I just made a post about how we need to draft Josh Jackson, but I have changed my mind. I now stand in favor of drafting Harry Giles. He has the potential to be a Deandre Jordan Type rebounder, which would do wonders for our team. He is a versatility defender who can guard the perimeter and protect the rim. He has shown flashes on offense with his post hooks and runners. He is a very good athlete, can finish above the rim, and has a decent mid range jumper. He has great size at 6'11 with a 7'3 wingspan. Watching him rebound with his long body and nose for the ball send shivers of excitement down my spine. I can only imagine how good our team could be with a guy like Giles. Even with all of his injuries I would still take a chance on him, given his insane talent and upside.

Giles is like 65 percent kemp and 35 percent horford

Fine prospect but too many injuries.. risky pick

« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2016, 12:58:45 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17

32.5% Kemp, 17.5% Horford, and 50% Oden

« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2016, 01:27:29 PM »

• Jrue Holiday

I feel like Giles is a risk worth taking. If he does turn out to be a star, we have ourselves a monster down low who can grab 15 boards a night and protect the rim. If he doesn't, we bring back the croatian beast Mr. Zizic and he can help us down low, and we can look at the 2018 draft to find a gem. Plus if you look at Embiid and Noel they are turning out just fine.

« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2016, 01:28:30 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

If the medical staff clears him and Danny drafts him, I'll be happy. I wouldn't want to be the GM that ends up picking him, though, because if his injuries end his career, they'll end yours, too. It's an Embiid or Oden level risk
I'm bitter.

« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2016, 01:44:38 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741

If the medical staff clears him and Danny drafts him, I'll be happy. I wouldn't want to be the GM that ends up picking him, though, because if his injuries end his career, they'll end yours, too. It's an Embiid or Oden level risk
Definitely a risk. If he can comes back healthy and plays well for Duke that could go a long way in convincing me he's worth it. But now there's talk that maybe he won't play this season. That would make him a pretty scary pick.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2016, 05:43:05 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

Definitely a risk. If he can comes back healthy and plays well for Duke that could go a long way in convincing me he's worth it. But now there's talk that maybe he won't play this season. That would make him a pretty scary pick.
I don't think there is any basis for that talk.  Coach K had Giles and the other two injured freshman go through pre-game walkthrough before the last game so they all should be reasonably close to playing.  If he's healthy, Giles can't afford to sit out the season with the quality of this draft.  Definitely need to see him play well at Duke before I'd take him in the top 5 and probably top 10. 

« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2016, 06:23:29 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
If he was cleared by the Celtics to be drafted, I'd take him. But I'd like to see him play at least one game in Duke.

We can take a gamble on him, given that he is the BPA out there. He won't be forced to play heavy minutes as he will be behind Horford in the rotation. Plus he needs to learn Brad's system before given the green lights to play. It took Rozier a whole season to be integrated in the system. I expect Jaylen to be the same so I wouldn't worry about Giles not playing for awhile.

« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2016, 06:49:00 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

I feel like Giles is a risk worth taking. If he does turn out to be a star, we have ourselves a monster down low who can grab 15 boards a night and protect the rim. If he doesn't, we bring back the croatian beast Mr. Zizic and he can help us down low, and we can look at the 2018 draft to find a gem. Plus if you look at Embiid and Noel they are turning out just fine.
but, are the injuries comparable? embiid had bone trouble in his feet. i dont think that gives anyone any clue or indication of  giles' future health since his woes are ACL surgeries in his knees. embiid's injury sheds zero light on giles' future.

does anyone here know of any pro athlete who has undergone two ACL operations on their knee and went on to have a  successful and long career? and, conversely, do we know of any who have not?

UPDATE: there is this.
http://williamsterett.com/blog-dr-william-sterett/2015/8/28/10-top-athletes-who-have-recovered-successfully-from-acl-mcl-and-shoulder-injuries

and this.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/gameon/2013/01/09/nfl-rg3-knee-surgeries-others/1820461/

and even this.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1177651-10-nba-players-that-suffered-torn-acls-and-recovered-better-than-ever
« Last Edit: November 24, 2016, 06:54:06 PM by hwangjini_1 »
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2016, 07:01:02 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

but, are the injuries comparable? embiid had bone trouble in his feet. i dont think that gives anyone any clue or indication of  giles' future health since his woes are ACL surgeries in his knees. embiid's injury sheds zero light on giles' future.

does anyone here know of any pro athlete who has undergone two ACL operations on their knee and went on to have a  successful and long career? and, conversely, do we know of any who have not?

http://williamsterett.com/blog-dr-william-sterett/2015/8/28/10-top-athletes-who-have-recovered-successfully-from-acl-mcl-and-shoulder-injuries

and this.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/gameon/2013/01/09/nfl-rg3-knee-surgeries-others/1820461/

and even this.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1177651-10-nba-players-that-suffered-torn-acls-and-recovered-better-than-ever
Leon Powe, right?   Loved the guy but he didn't last very long.

« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2016, 07:35:51 PM »

• Jrue Holiday

and this.

and even this.
Oh ya your right with embiid, but didn't Nerlens Noel tear his ACL in college?