Author Topic: draft option: Trade 16th for multiple picks  (Read 9696 times)

draft option: Trade 16th for multiple picks
« on: April 20, 2013, 03:07:12 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Like many have said this is a weak 0-10 draft, but with an excellent closely talented 10 to mid 2nd round prospects.

So if the celts dont get their one or two guys they are looking for at 16th, and the 16th pick can't get us much in the trade market, should we then lessen the risk and trade our 1st for a late 1st and early 2nd or two early 2nds plus?? (if another team who has these picks have their guy at 16th)

The celts will have Sully and Rondo back, but overall lack depth and KG/PP might retire as soon as next year. Melo project is not looking promising.

I have a list of late 1st, 2nd round picks that could step in and immediately help out next year.  A few i would be ecstatic to grab , in no order

1. Erick Green 6'4 combo guard - Saw a few games of him this year and at times i thought i was seeing Ray Allen and Barbosa in one player. Scoring champ of last year + efficiency stats. The knock on him is needing more strength and a few other little nitpicks. But overall if we need back a guy that plays like Barbosa but can shoot, this guy looks like he is it. There is a good chance he gets chosen much earlier

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhzwLXF7fVA

2. Jackie Carmichael 6'9 pf/c - Saw a few games of him recently and you would think you are seeing lebron james out there on the court. Not all out skill wise, but body, athleticism, quickness, intensity and strength. Skills are underrated, but whats more interesting is his ability to play defense, rebound at a high rate, character and also reminds you of sully the way he bullies people around. At worse i see a hard working guy, that will rebound at a high rate, block shots, and just help you wear down opponents on boh ends.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M96Dt5swZq8

3. Myck Kabongo 6'1 pg - Another solid prospect. Top notch quickness, athleticism. A true PG and good feel for the game. Scoring like Rondo is mainly driving and hitting tough finishes. Shooting is work in progress, but not bad already. Would solve the issue of having a legit off the bench pg and insurance pg in case Rondo is out for a while longer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YscxR6zUEw

4. Tony Snell 6'7 sf/sg - One of the best catch and shoot players in the ncaa. Nice 3 pt shooter and shoots about 85 on the FT line.  Can also drive for a dunk or layup plus play very good defense. But his bread and butter is running around like a headless chicken utilizing screens , then catch and shoot in one instance. We just don't have neither a 3 pt shooter or a guy that can utilize screens like Snell can. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5otYNtJfwo

for now these are some of my top late 1st/early 2nd guys. Do you like the trade idea for multiple picks? or at 16th there will someone there that can help us out. Any other late 1st/early 2nd prospects you like
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 06:41:04 PM by triboy16f »

Re: draft option: Trade 16th for multiple picks
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2013, 05:19:40 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
You have to see what happens, I do not see us going for the nobody's you mention, they are not sleepers, they are comatose.

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2013, 05:45:42 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I don't know what's going to happen. This draft is so incredibly like last years' (for us anyway) in that there isn't really a clear 'homerun' pick in our range..which is just what you get when you are picking just outside the lottery.

Like last year, trust in Danny. If a guy falls that shouldn't, pick em up. If they're in love with a guy, take em. If they aren't in love with their options, trade the pick for a haul they're satisfied with.

Actually, its kind of been that way the last 3 years.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2013, 05:47:42 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
This draft isn't nearly as deep with NBA talent as some think. After about pick 19-21(it was 23-25 but we had several people decide not to enter this year), the draft will have a ton of players that will be borderline NBA players, 14th, 15th man types.

The Celtics don't need that. They have Fab Melo and DJ White  and Terrence Williams already.

They will need young talent with large upside ready to develop for play when KG and Pierce go. I think they move up or sell the pick if they just don't pick right there because they are on that outer fringe of being able to get someone fairly decent.

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2013, 07:01:55 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
You have to see what happens, I do not see us going for the nobody's you mention, they are not sleepers, they are comatose.

How are you making your conclusions that some of these prospects are nobodies?  Have you watch them play?

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2013, 07:16:27 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
16th pick is lucky for big men... Nikola Vucevic was a 16th pick two years back ;)
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2013, 07:47:01 PM »

Offline connor

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 37
Its a good thought if there isn't anyone that Danny is in love with, but I think its going to be pretty hard for there not to be someone at 16 who has enough talent or future potential for Danny to decide to move back.

Its one thing if Danny was looking solely for depth on next year's roster, but he is without a doubt going to be considering future years with this pick and I think there will at the very least be a tempting Euro player that Danny would consider taking and stashing until they are ready.

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2013, 08:15:59 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
How are you making your conclusions that some of these prospects are nobodies?  Have you watch them play?

I follow the draft pretty closely this year because we have no shot at the title.  Yeah, I seen some of them play but let me go a step farther and expose your picks as being flawed, my friend.

Erik Greene - 6'4" is short for a SG let alone PG.  His team is horrible with a 13-19 record.   Good numbers this year on a horrible team.  Averaged 13 PPG for his career.  Not even remotely dominant until he is a crappy team.

Jackie Carmichael - slow footed.  Will struggle in the pros with better athletes.  He is the second best of the nobody's you mention.  Good size and NBA ready body.

Myck Kabongo- is the best of the guys you mention.  But we do not need him.  We have Rondo is a better version.  This kid can make plays but he is a short 6'1" and not an uber athlete.

Tony Schell - averaged 12 PPG .  Wow is all I can say.  He failed to score in double figures in half their games.  This one made me laugh and almost fell out of my chair.

In fact all these guys killed it in the NCAA Tourney, oh wait, they didn't.  They are all projected late in the first round at best and a lot of them in the second.

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2013, 08:27:10 PM »

Offline celticsleyte

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 9
I would be very surprised if the Celtics bring in more than one rookie.  I hope somebody they like drops to sixteen. A few good underclassmen stayed in school, so will take some luck.

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2013, 08:42:40 PM »

Offline aporel#18

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 170
I think Danny will use the pick, maybe he'll trade it like in the Randy Foye/Brandon Roy/Rajon Rondo draft, taking a bad contract who expires in june 2014 to use it in a future trade.

There are mostly project big men in our pick range, or players with question marks in the next level (i.e. McDermott), so it wouldn't surprise anyone if those project bigs (Nogueira, Gobert et al)end up impressing in practices and go in the lottery. That would mean a more talented wing or guard can fall into Danny's lap.

If Danny can find better value through trades (trading down, or packaging the pick) he'll do it.

Ideally, he could trade down some spots, get Dario Saric/Giannis/Karasev/Nogueira... and a second rounder (44th) from Utah. You keep your pick in Europe, hopefully in a good Euroleague team, and pick someone like Kadji, Muscala or whoever falls within the 44th pick. But that's more the NFL way.

The Rondo draft was great, hopefully Danny can make something as good happen this year.

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2013, 08:44:52 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
6'4" is short for a SG let alone PG.

Lots and lots of NBA players beg to differ ;D
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2013, 09:08:35 PM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
he's not trading down, the last thing we need is 5 d-league players occupying our roster spots.

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2013, 11:00:10 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

I follow the draft pretty closely this year because we have no shot at the title.  Yeah, I seen some of them play but let me go a step farther and expose your picks as being flawed, my friend.

Erik Greene - 6'4" is short for a SG let alone PG.  His team is horrible with a 13-19 record.   Good numbers this year on a horrible team.  Averaged 13 PPG for his career.  Not even remotely dominant until he is a crappy team.

Jackie Carmichael - slow footed.  Will struggle in the pros with better athletes.  He is the second best of the nobody's you mention.  Good size and NBA ready body.

Myck Kabongo- is the best of the guys you mention.  But we do not need him.  We have Rondo is a better version.  This kid can make plays but he is a short 6'1" and not an uber athlete.

Tony Schell - averaged 12 PPG .  Wow is all I can say.  He failed to score in double figures in half their games.  This one made me laugh and almost fell out of my chair.

In fact all these guys killed it in the NCAA Tourney, oh wait, they didn't.  They are all projected late in the first round at best and a lot of them in the second.

your points are on the negative side. And have merit, bc thats the reason why some of these guys are not lotto bound instead. But i'd like to add

Erick Green - On a bad team still led the nation in scoring and scored in high efficiency. And if you saw the draftexpress video, you can see that he is a much improved ball distributer.  Even as a senior, 25 ppg in college should = at worst half of that in the nba, if given an opportunity. Green has the same kind of body as Courtney Lee, but is much more skilled

Jackie Carmichael - Slow footed in terms of what?? Does he have to guard guards or sf's at the next level?? How many pf/c in the nba have such quick feet to be able to guard , guards one on one?? It's not common. But most learn, how to do it to get by. Maybe lean to the left more, press against certain players more etc.  Carmichael has a great body, athletic and pretty swift for his height. He runs up and down the court with ease.  Once he learns he will "get by" with np in the nba.

And lastly about snell, near the end of the regular season plus tourney, he brought his A game. He is a lights out shooter. It doesn't matter if you play in russia, or college, if you know how to shoot, you know how to do it. We could really use a guy like that, especially losing Ray Allen
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 11:07:28 PM by triboy16f »

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2013, 11:05:16 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Come on!!! Enough with the "if you look at the video you can see...." stuff.

DraftExpress, NBADraft, Scout and a host of other sites all have highlight video of every possible pick. They are highlights. All you are going to see are the players good points. Everyone looks like a superstar in those things.

Watch the games and then tell me about how good some of these players are. Their game film consists of them having difficulty with college players that will never be pros and doing the good things too. THAT is how you get a solid feel for these players, not with internet vids of them making their best plays they ever made.

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2013, 11:05:36 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
he's not trading down, the last thing we need is 5 d-league players occupying our roster spots.

your not getting the deal. From about 12-at least early 2nd round, its a crapshoot. Mason Plumlee is not that much better than Carmichael. Kentavious Caldwell Pope is not that much better than Green.  Only way to justify picking plumlee at 16 vs carmichael is that he played in a tougher conference and is 1 to 1 and half taller, though Carmichael has a couple inches in wingspan plus is stronger.  KCP might have a good guard body and can shoot well, but also came from a poor team and Erick Green is a much better ball handler.

The only players i really see being a "steal" is to grab one of those unknown but highly potential euro kids (giannis/Saric). Bc its considered a weaker draft though, lots of mocks now have these guys being drafted from 10-15. So we may not get a chance
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 11:19:28 PM by triboy16f »