Author Topic: Mocks starting to pick Mcollum or Giannis as possible celtic choices  (Read 19555 times)

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Alot more earlier mocks and even still a large number of mocks , still have the Celts picking up a big guy.

But recently others have one of these three guys being chosen by the Celts. I forgot which one , but it was stated that, it would be a duplication of risk to pickup a big guy like Dieng or Withey, since the Celts already have Melo developing.

So with this to keep in mind, plus analysing what Danny has done in draft night, i guess i could see one of these non big talented picks get chosen. Especially the Greek Kid Giannis, be chosen in a heartbeat. I mean you don't call someone who reminds you of Pippen (who if people knew how good he was going to be, was easily a top 5 pick in his draft year) and then skip him over.

We need alot of things, now that we have seen the celts without the big two for long stretches. We need scoring help, inside help and could use a legit backup pg (like what LAC has with Bledsoe).

So just to see some feedback, would you

#1 draft the BPA that is a non big?  (non complete will be available when we pick)

#2 still draft a Big bc it is our #1 glaring issue and you see no hope for Melo.  (Withey for example , one of the best shot blockers/without fouling/keeping the ball in play would help make opposing players think twice before driving in)

#3 trade the 16th pick for OKC's late 1st and early 2nd, lessen the risk and fill in more voids?? (for example with OKC's late 1st, grab a post player Jaiteh/Noriega/Muscala and with the 2nd round pick grab a non post from a list of pretty decent talented players)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 01:18:19 AM by triboy16f »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
I would love GR3, I like his game.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

I wish he had more of a killer instinct, but can't deny his talents. He is still very young.

Would easily slide into sf backup once pp leaves , or even be put in with Jeff Green, if Doc has an urge to go with small ball.

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
this is a weak draft that has lots of guards, and no good bigs. alex len is the best center? what kind of joke is this. drafting a big this year would be a horrible decision when you can get a good kentucky guard for example.

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
unless Fab Melo suddenly explodes as a very good player  :'( , like AB last year,   I don't see anyway  given the KG situation at the moment  Boston doesn't try and find a another BIG man in the draft that will play mainly the 5 position.

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green

I wish he had more of a killer instinct, but can't deny his talents. He is still very young.

Would easily slide into sf backup once pp leaves , or even be put in with Jeff Green, if Doc has an urge to go with small ball.

Green/GR3

Dream lineup  8)
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
If GR3 is available you have to take him and trade Green. Similar players but I think GR3 will end up the much better player and be on a much better contract for the next 4 years. Also, after Pierce retires, you will want GR3 starting as I am guessing being bad for a while might be what the front office will want. Letting GR3 cut his teeth playing big minutes while the team is bad could be a good thing for the young player and good for the team as in getting a better draft pick.

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I know we have a ton of guards, but CJ McCollum seems like he could be a Damian Lillard type player.  I'm sure he'd be immediately better than Crawford.

There are a lot of project bigs in this draft, and a handful of oversized Euro wings.  I don't really trust any of them to pan out.  Dieng seems like a nice player, but he's probably just a capable backup (think Nazr Mohammed or Ian Mahinmi) who is already really old for a college player.

At #16, entering rebuilding, you just draft for talent.  I'd be okay with taking McCollum.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Offline CelticsFan9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 116
  • Everyone's excited for the new era.
If GR3 is available you have to take him and trade Green. Similar players but I think GR3 will end up the much better player and be on a much better contract for the next 4 years. Also, after Pierce retires, you will want GR3 starting as I am guessing being bad for a while might be what the front office will want. Letting GR3 cut his teeth playing big minutes while the team is bad could be a good thing for the young player and good for the team as in getting a better draft pick.

TP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I like Green, but if he continues to play well in the postseason, his trade value will be pretty good, and could net us (packaged with Lee/Bass/Crawford) an impact big to put next to KG.

GRIII is going to be a solid pro that can defend and run the floor (plus he's a superb rebounder for his size and position).  Hopefully he can get range on the jumper.

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
GR3 is nice player.  but he'll be gone before the Celtics pick.   

unless DA trades off JET , Melo and bucket load of guards and moves up  in the draft ;D

Offline letsgoblue86

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
I wouldn't be opposed to trading our pick this year and trying to upgrade for 2014. 

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2410
McCollum sounds fantastic. I would be delighted with him.

I would be surprised if he didn't move up the draft board over the next few weeks though.

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I wouldn't be opposed to trading our pick this year and trying to upgrade for 2014.

Given the way people are talking about 2014, I don't think anyone will be willing to trade a potential good pick for that year.  A more realistic path is probably trading down.  I'd be interested in trading down with Cleveland for Miami's first round pick plus some of the five second-round picks that Cleveland has picked up between this and next year's drafts, depending who I think will be available at certain spots.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
I'm dying for GRIII, but I can't see him being there. Almost every year a wing with his skill set is slotted right in our range and every year they shoot up the board with workouts. Paul George in 2010, Terrence Ross in 2012 are the last two guys I saw slotted in that range before workouts both went lotto. I can't see GR making it to 16-17 in a draft this weak.

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
I like GR3.

On a related note, I am available if the Celtics need a 36 year old sf/pf who is 6ft1.