Author Topic: Who will be the player to drop in 2013?  (Read 3133 times)

Who will be the player to drop in 2013?
« on: April 08, 2013, 01:27:53 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
Every year a  highly ranked player falls in the draft for one reason or another. The Celtics have had really good luck with this in the past. (Paul and Sully are first to come to mind)

Who will be the players to fall well below their projected spots this year?

My picks (projections based on 4/8 draftexpress mock)

Cody Zeller
     He is proj to go #6, I could easily see him dropping to the 10-20 range. His poor tournament performance and lack of length really hurt him. With only a 6'8 wing span he will have to be more PF then center in NBA.

Shabazz Muhammad
    He is proj #9 (already lower then i would have guessed). I could see him dropping out of the top ten to the 12-15 range. His lack of SF size coupled with UCLA's poor play could hurt his draft stock. The fact that his father was lying about his age also throws up some red flags.

Anthony Bennett
    He is proj #4. Just being an undersized PF he has to make this list. It is very rare for an undersized PF to go in the top ten. Could see him dropping to 10-15 if he doesn't wow in workouts.

With that being said as a Cs fan I would love to see Muhammad slide outside the top 12 and the Cs move up a few picks to get him. He would be a great fit with a Rondo, AB, Green and Sully core.

Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

Re: Who will be the player to drop in 2013?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2013, 05:55:20 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
I can say the third one, but because GMs are overly cautious, maybe Shabazz too... but will Danny take him after getting Sully?

Shabazz would be a mini-miracle
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 07:58:53 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
If it is a guard who clearly is the best player available when the Celtics pick, how many posters here will insist the Celtics should still draft for need and take a big?
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 08:10:45 PM »

Offline badshar

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 72
Shabazz Muhammad is another James Harden.

The question is will he able to transfer his play to the NBA? If he does, then I'd definitely want him.

The guy is the same type of player as Harden.

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2013, 08:14:19 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
If it is a guard who clearly is the best player available when the Celtics pick, how many posters here will insist the Celtics should still draft for need and take a big?

It might not be an issue. Right now the Draftexpress mock has in picks 10-21, 9 out of the 12 players are bigs: Gobert, Len, Plumlee, Olynyk, McAdoo, Adams, Dieng and Withey.

I always prefer BPA, for what that's worth. And right now Draftexpress has us taking CJ McCollum, which I kind of like. You could argue he's a bit under the radar due to his injury.

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2013, 04:48:00 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker

I think the Cs should always draft BPA.

However I also feel that drafting a 2/3 (like Shabazz or GRIII) can also fill a need. The current talent, style and sizes of the guards on the Cs roster do not lend themselves to an easy rotation. Rondo, AB, and Terry all have PG size. Lee and Crawford have SG size and only T Will has the size to really be a 2/3. In terms of skill set Rondo and T Will are PGs, AB and Lee defensive based players, Crawford and Terry scorers.

I hope that the upcoming off-season Danny is able to consolidate some of the Guard talent. My best case would be the addition of a scoring 2/3 to take the place of Lee and Terry. Making the rotation

PG Rondo 35min, Avery 13min
SG Avery 17min, new 2/3 15min, crawford 16min
SF Paul  25min, Green 15min, 2/3 8min
PF Sully 20min, Green 17min, Bass 11min
C  Kevin 25min, Sully 10, Randolph 13min 

Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2013, 10:53:18 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
a bit off the topic but this seemed like the best place to post this.

just heard Ricky Ledo, who couldn't play for PC his freshman year due to academics, is declaring for the draft.  I think this kid is going to be in for a rude awakening when he doesn't go as high as he hopes.  listening to his father's interview about how he never planned to go 4 years just sounded sleazy from word one.  I think this kid had the wrong people talking in his ear and feeding him high hopes.

on the same note, kadeem Batts of PC announces his return.  had to roll my eyes because there was no one on this roster that has a shot at the NBA so to announce his return just sounded so asinine.

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2013, 11:30:54 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Cody Zeller is my pick for player that falls to 16 who everyone is surprised by.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2013, 11:34:45 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Cody Zeller is my pick for player that falls to 16 who everyone is surprised by.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPWNsGFXCZk

Dream big.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2013, 01:48:57 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker

Dream big.

I actually don't think that it is to big of a "dream" to think that Zeller could fall to #16. When you compare Cody's measurables to other NBA bigs (measured 6'11 1/2 in shoes with a 6'8 wingspan) there are few that fit these dimensions. The players who are closest to his #s are not centers they are actually 4/3s Like Scal (6'10.25 with 6'9.75 wingspan), Steve Novak (6'9.25 with 6'9.5 wingspan), and Matt Bonner (6'10 with 6'8.75 wingspan). His brother Tyler measured 7'0.5" in shoes with a 7' wingspan. Now Cody is obviously a better athletes that bonne, novac or scal but at there size it is clear to me that he is not a center. He will have to play PF in the NBA.     
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet