Author Topic: Mitch McGary  (Read 9792 times)

Mitch McGary
« on: April 06, 2013, 11:17:23 PM »

Offline syfy9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • We may as well put Tyrion in at center.
We should draft this kid. No, we need to draft this kid.

Anyone watching Syracuse vs Michigan can feel the Wolverines aura rejuvenate the moment he steps on the floor. He works hard, he's a banger, his defense is superb (you really can tell the confidence of the Wolverines skyrocket when he's guarding the paint), he has a beautiful jump shot, he is a very good passer from the high post, and he apparently has some decent handles too!

He is really good! Like a Dave Cowens kind of player. If he becomes a Celtic, we'll just add to our collection of incredibly hard working players that will lay their life out for the win.

Trey Burke might win national player of the year but if Michigan manages to win it all, the mvp of the tourney should be the freshman, McGary.
I like Marcus Smart

Re: Mitch McGary
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2013, 11:26:45 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
I. Think hes gonna be an NBA starter someday

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2013, 11:33:02 PM »

Offline MVPPierceNoJoke

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 106
He reminds me of Harongody

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2013, 11:43:39 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
We already have him and his name is Sully. They are the same kind of players. Even though we could use another sully, having two on the court at the same time , could be too much strength , interior play and not enough perimeter balance/weakside help Doc requires.

I'm starting to warm up to both Muscala and Payne to meet this need.  Both are more like late 1st/early 2nd , so we would have to trade down + get an extra pick.  Muscala has alot of skills + iq, but lacks strength and like sully plays under the rim. Payne on the other hand is a super athletic, above the rim  pf, who can also step out and knock down jumpers. Helped his team get to the elite 8.

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2013, 11:47:38 PM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367
We already have him and his name is Sully. They are the same kind of players. Even though we could use another sully, having two on the court at the same time , could be too much strength , interior play and not enough perimeter balance/weakside help Doc requires.

I'm starting to warm up to both Muscala and Payne to meet this need.  Both are more like late 1st/early 2nd , so we would have to trade down + get an extra pick.  Muscala has alot of skills + iq, but lacks strength and like sully plays under the rim. Payne on the other hand is a super athletic, above the rim  pf, who can also step out and knock down jumpers. Helped his team get to the elite 8.

We also have a second Sully in Shavlik Randolph.

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2013, 12:26:21 AM »

Offline Quinn

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 28

Shavs what though? 29? We've been lacking bangers. I'd rather have 3 hustle, bang in the paint players than only one and relying on a Brandon bass or Jason Collins to do the dirty work. A
Practice? Whatchu talkin about practice?

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2013, 12:32:28 AM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
I love that he's built like a bruiser, but is still very mobile. It's hard to get a coordinated big  with that combination. From a physical stand point he's NBA ready. I would love to pick him up.

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2013, 01:18:33 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Then you don't watch much Harongody or McGary.  He's much more like Tyler Hansborough.

That said, he's going to stay at least one more year in college, is a poor free throw shooter, and is mediocre at defense.  (Sounds crazy, because he gets steals and blocks, but he fouls a lot and is often out of position from being too aggressive.)  I'm a huge Michigan fan, have watched every game they played that wasnt on big ten network, and love the kid, but he's not ready for the NBA.  Wait a year or two, Celtics fans.

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2013, 01:47:25 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Then you don't watch much Harongody or McGary.  He's much more like Tyler Hansborough.

That said, he's going to stay at least one more year in college, is a poor free throw shooter, and is mediocre at defense.  (Sounds crazy, because he gets steals and blocks, but he fouls a lot and is often out of position from being too aggressive.)  I'm a huge Michigan fan, have watched every game they played that wasnt on big ten network, and love the kid, but he's not ready for the NBA.  Wait a year or two, Celtics fans.

He has changed his mind since being asked before if he will declare and imo will declare. He would be foolish not to. The reason is post hardaway, robinson and burke, how is going to keep up what he is doing now?? 

Better keep riding the wave while you can. 

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2013, 01:52:27 AM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367

Shavs what though? 29? We've been lacking bangers. I'd rather have 3 hustle, bang in the paint players than only one and relying on a Brandon bass or Jason Collins to do the dirty work. A

I wouldn't mind having 3 Sullies either.

I remember thinking to myself: wouldn't it be nice to have 5 Sullingers on the floor at the same time? We'd have 4 including playoff Rondo (who's scrappy, rebounds and does everything non-scoring).

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2013, 01:58:05 AM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1676
I'd take him.  I was very impressed with what he did tonight.  Syracuse couldn't handle him. 

Having more than one quality big man is certainly not a bad thing.  Best case scenario, Sully and McGary play effectively together; worst case scenario, one supplants the other and you have a nice trade chip (quality big men will always be an asset in the NBA). 

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2013, 09:52:42 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

He has changed his mind since being asked before if he will declare and imo will declare. He would be foolish not to. The reason is post hardaway, robinson and burke, how is going to keep up what he is doing now?? 

Better keep riding the wave while you can.

Michigan has some very nice players coming in next year, as well as some good players who will return, even if Hardaway and Robinson both go (Burke is of course a given.)  Next year's team will give him plenty of opportunities to be noticed on the national stage.

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2013, 10:06:56 AM »

Offline rickyfan3.0...

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 110
He's a tougher David Lee

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2013, 01:22:38 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
I'd take him.  I was very impressed with what he did tonight.  Syracuse couldn't handle him. 

Having more than one quality big man is certainly not a bad thing.  Best case scenario, Sully and McGary play effectively together; worst case scenario, one supplants the other and you have a nice trade chip (quality big men will always be an asset in the NBA).

I wonder how Mcgary will do in the nba. His motor is running high all time, bc its MM. But in the regular season at times he was a completely different player. Just looked disinterested.  Also conditioning is a concern.

If Mcgary worse = rafael Arrujuo , than that will be a waste of a pick. 

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2013, 01:59:32 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
The players from yesterday's games I would love to see the Celtics land even though yesterday may not have been their best games:

Michael Carter-Williams - let him play a year under Rondo and then trade Rondo later

Glenn Robinson III - star potential and one heck of a defender. Once he starts hitting his three more regularly, I think he will be blossom in the NBA game. Of course, this allows for Jeff Green to be traded while his stock is high and GR3 can learn under Pierce for a year or so.

Gorgui Dieng - big defensive, shot blocking, rebounding presence with what could be a developing inside offensive game, though right now he's pretty much just a garbage man offensively, I am not sure the Celtics need more than that for the future as I am expecting Sullinger to be the main offensive big in a couple years.