Poll

Which big should the Celtics for the 2013 draft?

Withey
6 (18.8%)
Dieng
5 (15.6%)
Olynyk
10 (31.3%)
Gobert
4 (12.5%)
Austin
7 (21.9%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Voting closed: June 28, 2013, 04:56:58 PM

Author Topic: poll: Which big should the Celtics pick for the 2013 draft?  (Read 9755 times)

Re: poll: Which big should the Celtics pick for the 2013 draft?
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2013, 11:36:48 PM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
Macadoo. More athleticism and scoring ability. I like Withy too though for the D. And Dieng.

« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2013, 01:24:30 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Macadoo. More athleticism and scoring ability. I like Withy too though for the D. And Dieng.
Nailed it. MacAdoo is def not a big by NBA standards, but he's a talent at his size. He'll make for a good pro and prob the best of this bunch mentioned.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2013, 06:23:56 AM »

Offline T-LoDaniels

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 13
Nailed it. MacAdoo is def not a big by NBA standards, but he's a talent at his size. He'll make for a good pro and prob the best of this bunch mentioned.

Classic tweener without a defined position. He's also been very disappointing this year.

« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2013, 07:06:14 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
Anybody else getting depressed looking at this list?

Are there any good power forwards available when Boston will likely be picking?

And I don't expect Olynyk, Gobert, or Austin to be there at 16-20.  But if the C's keep losing without KG, they have a chance to pick as high as 12, which puts those guys, Plumlee, and Len into play.

Melo is struggling with the Claws, but one of these guys will probably pan out to be quite good--if Danny picks right.

I did note that he fairly confidently has picked Duke to win it all, and I wonder if that in part reflects his judgment of Plumlee.

« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2013, 09:39:45 AM »

Offline celticsleyte

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 9

And I don't expect Olynyk, Gobert, or Austin to be there at 16-20.  But if the C's keep losing without KG, they have a chance to pick as high as 12, which puts those guys, Plumlee, and Len into play.

Melo is struggling with the Claws, but one of these guys will probably pan out to be quite good--if Danny picks right.

I did note that he fairly confidently has picked Duke to win it all, and I wonder if that in part reflects his judgment of Plumlee.
[/quote]

How on earth are we going to miss the playoffs? that is what it would take to pick above 15th.

« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2013, 10:16:39 AM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343

I'm surprised to hear you say this. After Gonzaga's early exit, it seems reasonably likely to me that all three of those players will go outside of the lottery.

« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2013, 10:36:48 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
nbadrafts new 2013 mock has plumlee slipping to us picking 17. If that happened i would be pretty ecstatic. I'm not expecting it, but with this year draft being all over the place know its not impossible. Especially if the three euro kids (saric, adetokunbo, Gobert) get into the lotto.

The profile on him is a 6'10 guy who is a pretty high level athlete , with strength, iq and motor. If he had a consistent jump shot i have no doubt he could be a top 7 pick this year.  His build and game is similiar to Blake Griffin. If Griffin is a 9 athlete, plumlee is a 8. Just like Griffin also a very good defender able to help out on the weakside

Sully and Plumlee would be a good young upfront duo for years to come. Both have high motor and iq and don't mind mixing it up in the inside. Good thing is they are also different in that Sully has more offensive bag of tricks and a better jump shot while plumlee is an above the rim player , quicker and a defensive presence.

« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2013, 02:34:19 AM »

Offline jr_3421

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
If we could somehow get a 2nd round pick, Jackie Carmichael is someone who I think would be an excellent rotational big. I see him in a Leon Powe type of role except better intangibles.
"In the 4th quarter I'm whole different player"

-Paul Pierce

« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2013, 03:34:46 AM »

Offline Galeto

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 71
Before looking into Gobert more, I would have said Gobert.  He is so tantalizing on paper, with his 7 plus height and unreal wingspan of 7'9, plus he looked pretty mobile in highlights.  After getting a more extensive look at him and seeing his stats, I'm not too impressed. 

First off, he's kind of stiff.  His lateral movement is poor and he doesn't get much lift.  His stats bore that out.  One thing I didn't realize is that he plays a lot of minutes.  I figured he was on the typical youngster timeline in European basketball, not getting many meaningful minutes.  I was wrong. For instance, in his last five games, he's played 24, 27, 21, 24 and 30 minutes.  Thats' a good-size amount over in Europe.  In those five games, he's averaged 4.6 rebounds and 1.2 blocks a game.  That comes out to 7.3 rebounds and 1.9 blocks per 40 minutes.  For the season, his rebounds per 40 are under 10, which is a poor translation from Europe to the NBA while his blocks per 40 is good at 3.5.  If he's a poor rebounder and below-average athlete, I'm not sure he's that good of a prospect even with his freakish size.

I wouldn't mind if Ainge passed on Olynyk, Gobert and Austin.

« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2013, 05:33:59 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2406
nbadrafts new 2013 mock has plumlee slipping to us picking 17. If that happened i would be pretty ecstatic. I'm not expecting it, but with this year draft being all over the place know its not impossible. Especially if the three euro kids (saric, adetokunbo, Gobert) get into the lotto.

The profile on him is a 6'10 guy who is a pretty high level athlete , with strength, iq and motor. If he had a consistent jump shot i have no doubt he could be a top 7 pick this year.  His build and game is similiar to Blake Griffin. If Griffin is a 9 athlete, plumlee is a 8. Just like Griffin also a very good defender able to help out on the weakside

Sully and Plumlee would be a good young upfront duo for years to come. Both have high motor and iq and don't mind mixing it up in the inside. Good thing is they are also different in that Sully has more offensive bag of tricks and a better jump shot while plumlee is an above the rim player , quicker and a defensive presence.

I like the look of Plumlee. I would be happy if Danny landed him.

« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2013, 04:12:48 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
As everyone knows i'm a pro Withey fan. And certainly would of wanted him for this years draft pending tonights result vs Michigan and Mcgary. But Kansas lost to Michigan and Mitch Mcgary sort of schooled him tonight. The Freshman at times just powered in some shots over a weaker withey.

I thought withey who handled Sully pretty good last year would be able to do the same with Mcgary. But Mcgary has a step or two quickness on sully, an inch or two in height, vertical leap with the same kind of power. Kid is also plays possessed. Motor looks like it will catch on fire but it never does. At this rate looks like will be chosen within the lotto

Another efficient game by Dieng tonight. He is shooting like over 700 percent, rebounding, blocking shots, stls, assist.  Would like to see what he can do vs a talented big
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 04:49:04 AM by triboy16f »

« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2013, 07:48:04 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
We can add to this list

Adams (declared), Mcgary

Both are still raw, with Mcgary having more game. Adams has Tyson Chandler like body, athleticsm and quickness.

- Mcgary is tearing it up in the tourney. Came out of nowhere. He reminds me of Sully and likes to get beatup and beating people up in the interior. Motor is the same and never stops working. Has underrated skills. Not much fun to play against. Has stated likely will not declare , imo i think he is crazy not to in this weak draft

- Adams has declared. Raw like Melo, but already a better rebounder, quicker and better mitts. Is a 7 ft athlete with already a very good frame. Raw, with little to no post moves, jump shot needs work.  Even without these things could do alot of damage once he learns/develops

I'm also been pretty enormed with Dieng thus far in this tourney. Just plays smart and does little things to help his team win. The other night after the timeout it was "lets go to Dieng" for offense. He shot two long open jumpers without hesitation and made them. Ironically missed two free throws after. Another instance where he got a bounce pass going to the basket, avoided charging , glided and avoided getting his shot blocked by changing the angle of his shot the backboard Jeff Green style. Lastly he has more skills than i thought when he got the basketball near the three point line and using only two dribbles and his long strides was ready to drop in a layup before getting fouled. I didn't know he had this in this arsenal. Looks dangerous if he can develop further

On the defensive end, he is just too long, quick and athletic. Blocks shots out of nowhere and grabs difficult rebounds.  Needs to put in 10 more pounds of muscle, which should be possible after some time in the gym

I keep thinking he could slide into the lotto, but most mocks have him being pick in the mid 20's. I don't think you can build around him but think would be perfect on a team like the celtics, spurs

« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2013, 01:59:24 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtGdt51d96A

anyone know much more about Muscala?

« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 03:04:24 AM by triboy16f »

« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2013, 08:17:54 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Best player available is who you take!

« Reply #44 on: April 06, 2013, 08:57:19 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
Best player available is who you take!

I'd modify that slightly to 'most valuable player available'--meaning a big that is 95% the player of a two-guard is more valuable, given the scarcity of bigs who can play.

Also, Danny may have more patience for a developing player than he would have had when the team was already championship-competitive.