Author Topic: The problem isn't the Celtics. It's some of the fans.  (Read 8971 times)

Re: The problem isn't the Celtics. It's some of the fans.
« Reply #75 on: June 24, 2016, 02:22:37 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448

I love that you post a quote that supports my argument just as much your argument and claim it as evidence for your argument.  ::) "He's a versatile player that can play multiple positions" =/= he's a 3/4 instead of 2/3. At most, its says that he can occasionally guard 1-4 for short periods of time, just like Smart.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Jaylen-Brown-72912/

http://www.nbadraft.net/players/jaylen-brown

Both of these have him listed as SG/SF, so.....

Wow using Draft Express over the guy who runs the team and actually drafted him.  You sure got me there!

And again you're wrong about Smart and Bradley.

Wow! You don't understand logic and realize that the quote you used provided you no evidence toward your claim whatsoever! You got me there, Sherlock!

So you don't know what wing means?  He said he is a wing.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #76 on: June 24, 2016, 02:24:30 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
Yet for the past two years we've accumulated assets and still are at .500.  Nothing wrong with fans being impatient. Ainge has been drafting potential instead of talent. By his team has been lacking talent and they need to go out and make an attempt at getting it....unless we as fans are supposed to be happy each year with mediocre players and draft and stash projects
How are they at .500?  They were 48-34, (0.585), last year with the 3rd youngest roster in the league and added a player rated in the top half of the lottery at a position of need?

2 8 in the weak East Playoffs says it all. As constituted this Team will not get better unless talent is signed or traded for. 19 year old kid is not the answer.

You drafted 8 Players last night. 2 landed you a First rounder that ain't worth the paper its written on. A bunch of Euro guys who will never sniff an NBA court.

Ainge should already know what Free Agents will sign here. If nobody legit wants to play in Boston then you must take chances with the trade market.

Ibaka, Young, Rose were all legit gambles if you cannot get anyone else. You had the #3 to move to get an established player. You didn't.

Purgatory!

Ibaka and Rose will probably leave their teams.

« Reply #77 on: June 24, 2016, 02:26:09 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2970

I love that you post a quote that supports my argument just as much your argument and claim it as evidence for your argument.  ::) "He's a versatile player that can play multiple positions" =/= he's a 3/4 instead of 2/3. At most, its says that he can occasionally guard 1-4 for short periods of time, just like Smart.

Wow using Draft Express over the guy who runs the team and actually drafted him.  You sure got me there!

Wow! You don't understand logic and realize that the quote you used provided you no evidence toward your claim whatsoever! You got me there, Sherlock!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swingman

The term "wing" generally refers to the 2 and 3 positions...

« Reply #78 on: June 24, 2016, 02:26:52 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

To the OP. Dude, what did you expect? This is Boston after all. People are savage's around Beantown. It is what it is.

« Reply #79 on: June 24, 2016, 02:29:02 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I'll say one thing...

IF the plan is to target Horford in free agency and Kevin Love via trade, it makes total sense why we didn't trade for one of Philly's bigs.

I'm fine with the pick.  19 year old who might have potential.   He's less valuable today than the pick was yesterday, but if we're keeping him it doesn't matter.

« Reply #80 on: June 24, 2016, 02:30:04 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

How long have you been watching this team?

#1   19 24 vs .500 or better clubs 

#2   14  31 when the opponent scores more than 100 points

#3  No defensive presence in the Frontcourt

#4  No outside Shooters

And you wonder why all the negativity
And I guess adding Noel on a one year rental and/or swapping half of your starting lineup for Butler fixes all of this, right?

No it doesn't. Neither does JBrown.

At some point you have to pony up. Noel would have been that guy to solidify at least one issue. Not a Rookie at 19.
Yes, "ponying up" is what got us Rodney Rogers and Tony Delk. How did that work out?

Hey, Rodney Rogers and Tony Delk were significant members of a team that made it to the conference finals.

You're approaching self-parody here.  I'm genuinely unsure if you're serious.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #81 on: June 24, 2016, 02:31:10 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2970
I'll say one thing...

IF the plan is to target Horford in free agency and Kevin Love via trade, it makes total sense why we didn't trade for one of Philly's bigs.

I'm fine with the pick.  19 year old who might have potential.   He's less valuable today than the pick was yesterday, but if we're keeping him it doesn't matter.

Jaylen would make more sense, too, if we're going to have to lose a WING position to get them, too.

I'd still prefer Noel over giving a max to Horford, though. More mobile, cheaper for a year, and much, much younger.

« Reply #82 on: June 24, 2016, 02:32:17 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I'll say one thing...

Jaylen would make more sense, too, if we're going to have to lose a WING position to get them, too.

I'd still prefer Noel over giving a max to Horford, though. More mobile, cheaper for a year, and much, much younger.
Absolutely.  I have heard Crowder or Bradley could be the key part of a Kevin Love deal... so if that happens, we'll be happy to see our #3 pick get minutes.

« Reply #83 on: June 24, 2016, 02:32:53 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swingman

The term "wing" generally refers to the 2 and 3 positions...

In the modern NBA, it's a 3/4.  You think when Ainge said "en vogue" type of player he meant a  2/3?  I know you keep up with the NBA.

Beyond that, again, we are bypassing your whole basis that we are just loaded with wings when we have one and two other guys you brought up are a pure SG (Bradley) and a PG (combo guard at best in Smart).  I don't get why you keep saying this.  You are trying so hard to argue it and its based on a lie.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #84 on: June 24, 2016, 02:34:17 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

How long have you been watching this team?

#1   19 24 vs .500 or better clubs 

#2   14  31 when the opponent scores more than 100 points

#3  No defensive presence in the Frontcourt

#4  No outside Shooters

And you wonder why all the negativity
And I guess adding Noel on a one year rental and/or swapping half of your starting lineup for Butler fixes all of this, right?

No it doesn't. Neither does JBrown.

At some point you have to pony up. Noel would have been that guy to solidify at least one issue. Not a Rookie at 19.
Yes, "ponying up" is what got us Rodney Rogers and Tony Delk. How did that work out?

Hey, Rodney Rogers and Tony Delk were significant members of a team that made it to the conference finals.

You're approaching self-parody here.  I'm genuinely unsure if you're serious.

It's a joke.  But it's a serious one.

I have fond memories of both Tony Delk and Rodney Rogers.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #85 on: June 24, 2016, 02:35:08 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2671
  • bammokja
You'll find this kind of complaining among all fanbases of major sports teams.  Just ignore them or laugh at their knee-jerk reactions.  Some of the negative responses are actually pretty comical, even if they can be over the top and annoying at times.

In general, people need to remember that the outspoken opinions of a few don't represent the viewpoints of the regular users of C's blog as a whole.  Oftentimes posters here will group the blog together, making generalized statements like "people here think Ainge is a draft savant" and proceed to post negative remarks in a condescending tone. 

This is a great blog with many, many knowledgeable fans.  There are other sports boards where practically every topic degenerates into flamewars and insults without meaningful discussion.  Don't let the complaining on C's blog detract you from the fact that this is overall a well-moderated and great sports forum.

TP for the laugh.
i am sure you including yourself in this dismissal, yes?
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #86 on: June 24, 2016, 02:39:06 PM »

Offline SCeltic34

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2029
Aside from player debates -

A lot of fans get far too caught up with trade rumors, scouting reports and analyses from sites like DraftExpress, mock drafts, youtube highlight videos and interviews, and even opinions from other fans.  For those who watch a lot of college or international ball, these things may not factor in quite as much.

The explosion of social media and all the nonsense that accompanies this, I think, really amounts to preconceived expectations of what a GM "should" do with draft picks and trade scenarios, despite the fact that the majority of it is speculation, and that much of it is just flat out false.  When these expectations are not met, fans become sorely disappointed and call the draft a failure.  It's very easy to set yourself up for disappointment in this fashion.

Much of the time, the actual deal that goes down has no long-standing rumors attached to it before hand.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't recall any rumors between Orlando and OKC until it was actually about to happen.  Same with Thad Young and Indiana.

Anyhow, main thing is to stay objective.  Just because draft day didn't go according to plan by some peoples estimations, it doesn't mean that the trade doors are closed.  Free agency is also right around the corner.

« Reply #87 on: June 24, 2016, 02:41:43 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
Big fan of Danny's draft last night but I respect the views of the poster's here who disagree. Think I might need to keep the radio turned off for the next couple of months though.

Listening to these casual Boston fans who suddenly think they're draft experts because they watched the ESPN broadcast was giving me a migraine last night. I'm sorry but just because you didn't know who Ante Zizic was before last night and he has a name that sounds funny does not make it a bad pick.

One self indulgent clown last night was like "So at 23 we take a chair salesman?????" -Referring to the anecdote that Fran Frashella gave about Zizic on the broadcast- Like is that supposed to be witty? Just because your ignorant about Euro Prospects isn't DA's fault!
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 02:50:01 PM by Smartacus »

« Reply #88 on: June 24, 2016, 02:47:21 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
I just don't understand how anyone is coming to any definitive opinions about last night. Am I worried that Jaylen Brown could be Kedrick Brown the sequel? Sure, though in fairness Kedrick Brown was much more of an unknown coming out of some junior college. But will there also be some fans who decide he's the next LeBron after he dominates some summer league games? Absolutely, look at all the silliness that happened last year surrounding Rozier, Mickey, and Hunter (not to mention other scrubs people thought would be great).

The truth is probably somewhere in between and regardless, we won't know if Danny was a genius, a moron, or just mediocre for several more seasons. So I'd just recommend everyone calms down and just hopes for the best.

« Reply #89 on: June 24, 2016, 02:53:58 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
One self indulgent clown last night was like "So at 23 we take a chair salesman?????" -Referring to the anecdote that Fran Frashella gave about Zizic on the broadcast- Like is that supposed to be witty? Just because your ignorant about Euro Prospects isn't DA's fault!
Yes, I caught that guy as well. He was insufferable -- but in all fairness, so were the two hosts who realize that the NBA exists about once a year.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."