Author Topic: Celtics want Telfair back?  (Read 19323 times)

Re: Celtics want Telfair back?
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2013, 11:30:40 PM »

Offline Rick Robeys Return

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 35
  • The bringer of DJ

Someone asked about  Szczerbiak...he's working as a TV analyst  for the Knicks http://www.msg.com/network-talent/wally-szczerbiak-.html, but I'm sure once he sees the Telfair signing....

« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2013, 12:56:50 AM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
Pass DA. Please.

To the talk about what we think about the young guys and what we (irrationally most of the time) think they can become... LOL I thought FAB was going to be our starting center and a defensive beast one day... yea, I thought it until we sent him packing. I really have a problem with thinking everyone we have is going to be better one day. It's a disease. I'm always thinking "if we just give him playing time he could ____" LOL Yea, I'm crazy. Even if we pick up a guy off the streets, I'd say "just give him a chance, Danny didn't pick him up for nothing." Matter of fact if I was a Celtics fan b4 KG and the losing streak happened I would be thinking every game, if only we win once we could get on a run and make the playoffs and be the Cinderella of the playoffs! I mean, I know my feelings are crazy, it's not that I'm ignorant when it comes to the game... I just want us to win and have good players so bad. I know when we stink and can't be better but I just hope so much that I become blind in the moment.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2013, 01:07:21 AM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5350
  • Thumper of the BASS!
i miss

him and

had the potential to be the best

one two punch since

*SIPPIN*

« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2013, 01:16:34 AM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
i miss

him and

one two punch since

*SIPPIN*

LOL are you suffering from the same disease I am?
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2013, 01:24:08 AM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5350
  • Thumper of the BASS!
i miss

him and

one two punch since

*SIPPIN*

Mz ImShakHeIsShaq what disease we got?

« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2013, 01:41:08 AM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
i miss

him and

one two punch since

*SIPPIN*

Mz ImShakHeIsShaq what disease we got?

Thinking people can be better than they are.

« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2013, 05:08:11 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I really liked Wally! 

« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2013, 05:59:52 AM »

fitzhickey

And thus the "bring back Wally" threads began

« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2013, 07:29:05 AM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
it would be to much to handle...useless pg imho
give somebody younger a real shot, considering the rondo situation
p.s. the gah-en  :-\
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2013, 10:07:57 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Pass DA. Please.

To the talk about what we think about the young guys and what we (irrationally most of the time) think they can become... LOL I thought FAB was going to be our starting center and a defensive beast one day... yea, I thought it until we sent him packing. I really have a problem with thinking everyone we have is going to be better one day. It's a disease. I'm always thinking "if we just give him playing time he could ____" LOL Yea, I'm crazy. Even if we pick up a guy off the streets, I'd say "just give him a chance, Danny didn't pick him up for nothing." Matter of fact if I was a Celtics fan b4 KG and the losing streak happened I would be thinking every game, if only we win once we could get on a run and make the playoffs and be the Cinderella of the playoffs! I mean, I know my feelings are crazy, it's not that I'm ignorant when it comes to the game... I just want us to win and have good players so bad. I know when we stink and can't be better but I just hope so much that I become blind in the moment.

Cheers.

I think there needs to be a support group of some kind.  I have the disease too.  The thing is, I've grown to accept and even embrace my condition.  Over the years, the likes of Gerald Green, Ryan Gomes, Semih Erden, JuJuan Johnson, Fab Melo, to name just a small handful, have all steeled me against my proclivity for having high expectations for young Celtics.

The fact that those expectations are in many cases never met doesn't deter me, though.  What's the fun in that?

I'm going to continue on with my somewhat secret dreams of the futures of the likes of Avery Bradley and Kelly Olynyk.  I understand the risks of disappointment (and what's worse) public ridicule, but, to me, it beats the alternative of vehemently believing that all young players' ceilings are as 15 minute a night 8th man role players--at best. 

I understand the other philosophy of assessing young players.   If you guard against expectations, it becomes easier to handle eventual disappointment.  The risk, however, that I see with taking the more pessimistic stance is that when we get players who do exceed expectations and do turn into good to great players, those who have spent so much time arguing that those players' ceilings are low sometimes seem to become so attached to their own beliefs, that they are almost forced to root for the failure of said players to justify what they've been arguing for years.

Anyway, I'm not sure what all this has to do with the possibility of signing Sebastian Telfair, other than that I proudly admit that I once thought he was the Celtics' point guard of the future, destined to be the next Kevin Johnson or Rod Strickland.  I didn't work out for Bassy, and it hasn't worked out for many young Celtics before him and since . . .

But, I'm going to choose to keep believing.  I can't help it.  I don't mind being thought of as a "Celtics' homer" or a "fanboy."  After all, in my case, the shoe fits.   

DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #40 on: September 08, 2013, 11:17:19 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I don't really see the problem if Rondo's going to be out for a long time.

It's always good to have competition for playing time, even if the team may not win a lot of games. Telfair's a bust when you consider the hype around him while he was in high school, but surely he's a better option that Bradley, Pressey, or Crawford starting at the point.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #41 on: September 08, 2013, 11:39:46 AM »

Offline Meadowlark_Scal

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 670
  • You say when......
Wally never played defense a day in his life...scal.....didn't have a halfway decent game since he left NJ.....the only player worth considering is TWILL...they aren't going to file any charges on him, as it was mostly a hoax.....he is a very strong all around player, and only got to play for us VERY short minutes, but showed STRONG results...play that guy more and then we got a team...!

« Reply #42 on: September 08, 2013, 12:47:03 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I do not want Wally, Twill or Telfair back.   

Twill is over rated and a journeymen who shoots in the 41% shooter at FG range.  He has potential but may never realize that potential.  The league is full of what if's and most of them remain that.  He is eight years in the league.   Last year was a good one for him but he won't have KG and PP to play off this year.  He is versatile but I disagree with the strong player statement.  Jack of all Trades but master of none suits him well.

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/terrence_williams/career_stats.html

Wally is out of the league.  He is in media and he will stay there.  Not laced up since 09.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/s/szczewa02.html

Telfair is a has been.  Shot 29% from the field last year.  His career highmark was that movie sadly.

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/sebastian_telfair/career_stats.html

« Reply #43 on: September 08, 2013, 03:09:37 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Nobody said they want Wally back.  They said they miss him.  I miss Bird too, but I don't want him back.  Well, maybe if he wanted to come back ;)

« Reply #44 on: September 08, 2013, 04:32:11 PM »

Offline Meadowlark_Scal

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 670
  • You say when......
Wally is a guy you'd like on your league team....as in "hey guys..i got a ringer for us this year at 2-guard..!" He could shoot the lights out in a league team..!