Author Topic: Coach Lue calls out a Cavs player (IT?) : "get rid of agendas if guys have it”  (Read 6559 times)

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/22049560/ty-lue-says-cleveland-cavaliers-got-get-rid-agendas-blowout-loss-toronto-raptors

Wheels on the bus falling off? Cavs blown out by 25pts + Again, lost 7 of last 10

"we've got to be better," Lue said after the Cavs lost for the seventh time in the past 10 games. "We know that. But until we play better defensively, I think offensively sharing the basketball, everyone on the same page -- and if guys have agendas, we've got to get rid of our agendas and play the right way."

Asked what he meant by "agendas," Lue declined to elaborate, saying he meant "just what I said."

When Lue's "agendas" remark was relayed to LeBron James, James couldn't identify what Lue was referring to

"I mean, I would hope not," James said. "I don't [have an agenda]. At this point, three and a half, four years in this thing, I hope not. I don't know. I don't have one. I just want to win. I just like playing ball the right way, getting guys involved and winning the game also. I don't."

Kevin Love said he was perplexed by Lue's remark.

"It's
my 10th year," he said. "We've got a lot of vets on this team. If there are agendas, I don't see it. But I'm sure whoever he's speaking of or speaking to with that, he'll address it, as we usually do. So, I don't know

Cavs reserve Channing Frye told ESPN that Lue's remarks should put his team on notice.

"This is a business," Frye said. "Maybe it's meant to be a wake-up call. My bags have been half-packed since I got here. This is meant to be a championship group. We have to understand, if we're not helping move everything in a championship direction, there could be changes."

Meanwhile

Wonder who Lue is talking about
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 01:04:50 PM by CelticsElite »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Haha, amazing. Getting the whole team ticked at their coach is exactly what they need right now.

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
Haha, amazing. Getting the whole team ticked at their coach is exactly what they need right now.
yup

Honestly I think coach Lue is talking about IT. IT was 0-17 in the first half of the past 2 blow out cav losses. Seems IT is out to get his contract instead of winning

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
yup

Honestly I think coach Lue is talking about IT. IT was 0-17 in the first half of the past 2 blow out cav losses. Seems IT is out to get his contract instead of winning

That sounds very plausible - I haven't really kept track of IT after that first game, but he's been eyeing getting paid for years and has no real loyalty to the Cavs.

From the comments it sounds like it's more than just one guy but IT is likely very prominent on whatever mental list Lue has.  Still very stupid for Lue to air it to the press.

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
yup

That sounds very plausible - I haven't really kept track of IT after that first game, but he's been eyeing getting paid for years and has no real loyalty to the Cavs.

From the comments it sounds like it's more than just one guy but IT is likely very prominent on whatever mental list Lue has.  Still very stupid for Lue to air it to the press.
haha yeah. Love channing Frye saying his bags are half packed. That def sounds like he loves the organization so far

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
yup

That sounds very plausible - I haven't really kept track of IT after that first game, but he's been eyeing getting paid for years and has no real loyalty to the Cavs. From the comments it sounds like it's more than just one guy but IT is probably on whatever mental list Lue has.  Still very stupid for Lue to air it to the press.

It’s got to be IT. He’s the only guy who reasonably would have an agenda, he’s shooting
at will and he plays no defense.

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
This is almost certainly about Isaiah Thomas. His "agenda" is still being an elite offensive option so that he can earn a big next contract.

The last two games  have been his worst two game stretch in 4 years. Offensively he is struggling to get to his spots and get his shots, and defensively he has been worse than usual.

I really want Thomas to get a good next contract with a winning basketball team, but Lue is right. He has to play for his team, not for his contract.

Frye's comment was telling also. Is there any way they flip Thomas to a team in desperate need of scoring on the perimeter before the deadline?

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
I always thought there was a chance that IT could be trouble trying to prove his worth for his first big contract in just 3 months of play...

PS tp to op for working int he funny pics and the post in general.

Offline Valid

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 27
Everyone is sitting here saying that Thomas is playing poorly because he is trying too hard to get his next contract, but has anyone considered the possibility that maybe, just maybe, he is a bit rusty after having not played competitive ball since May?

He is coming off of a pretty serious hip injury. It's going to take him a while to find his groove, especially with a new team where he is not the primary offensive option. It's not just LeBron taking away his shots, either. There are numerous guys on the Cavaliers who require touches on a nightly basis, which is something IT simply didn't have to deal with in Boston.

I think maybe the "agenda" Lue is talking about is Thomas just trying to get back at the Celtics for trading him. Or maybe he's not talking about Isaiah at all. Remember: there were problems in Cleveland's locker room earlier in the year when J.R. Smith had to come off the bench, and there was a point where Dwyane Wade ripped the starting lineup.

We need to give Thomas at least a few weeks to re-acclimate himself to the rigors of live game action and to become accustomed to his new surroundings before we start ripping him a new one.

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
Everyone is sitting here saying that Thomas is playing poorly because he is trying too hard to get his next contract, but has anyone considered the possibility that maybe, just maybe, he is a bit rusty after having not played competitive ball since May?

He is coming off of a pretty serious hip injury. It's going to take him a while to find his groove, especially with a new team where he is not the primary offensive option. It's not just LeBron taking away his shots, either. There are numerous guys on the Cavaliers who require touches on a nightly basis, which is something IT simply didn't have to deal with in Boston.

I think maybe the "agenda" Lue is talking about is Thomas just trying to get back at the Celtics for trading him. Or maybe he's not talking about Isaiah at all. Remember: there were problems in Cleveland's locker room earlier in the year when J.R. Smith had to come off the bench, and there was a point where Dwyane Wade ripped the starting lineup.

We need to give Thomas at least a few weeks to re-acclimate himself to the rigors of live game action and to become accustomed to his new surroundings before we start ripping him a new one.

Pretty curious who you feel was "ripping him a new one." A few people mentioned that they thought he could be talking about IT especially given his shooting struggles the last few games. I mentioned I was worried about this in the off season because he is playing for a big contract with a very limited amount of minutes and games. Does any of that qualify as ripping him?

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
So, no one on the team has a clue regarding which guys (plural) he is talking about, but it’s all on IT?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline Valid

• Brad Stevens

Pretty curious who you feel was "ripping him a new one." A few people mentioned that they thought he could be talking about IT especially given his shooting struggles the last few games. I mentioned I was worried about this in the off season because he is playing for a big contract with a very limited amount of minutes and games. Does any of that qualify as ripping him?
People here are saying that he is playing for his contract rather than his team, which, in essence, is saying he is a me-first player. I'd say that qualifies as ripping him.

Offline Valid

• Brad Stevens
So, no one on the team has a clue regarding which guys (plural) he is talking about, but it’s all on IT?
Exactly. It's like people forget there were locker room issues in Cleveland this year before Thomas even returned to the floor. This is something that has been going on since October.

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

People here are saying that he is playing for his contract rather than his team, which, in essence, is saying he is a me-first player. I'd say that qualifies as ripping him.

Seems like a quite stretch to call it ripping him. He IS playing for a contract right now. He definitely will feel some pressure from that. Tougher still, he is trying to prove his value in a short period of time (half a season) coming onto a team with title hopes. It is a challenging situation. Doesn't make him any less of a good player or anything else, just human.

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
I’m not criticizing IT by saying he may be the guy with the agenda. IMO he SHOULD be playing with an agenda. That injury followed by the trade could screw him out of his one big chance to get a well deserved payday, and he has no reason to show loyalty to anyone but himself and his family at this point. If he scores like pre injury IT he will get paid.