Author Topic: The Moore signing was a mistake; Danny should have waited (split).  (Read 48367 times)

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Both Gooden and Smith are miles better than Mikki Moore.  Danny jumped the gun.

I'm guessing that Smith ends up in Cleveland and that Gooden goes to San Antonio. 
« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 08:21:30 AM by Roy Hobbs »

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

Online celticinorlando

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 637
  • MASTER OF PANIC
cut pruitt and sign gooden..i guess now if boston would have waited they would have had smith or gooden...

Offline TatteredOnMySleeve

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107

I'm guessing that Smith ends up in Cleveland and that Gooden goes to San Antonio. 

I still think we couldve ended up with nothing waiting around until the last minute to try and sign Joe smith who clearly wanted to go to cleveland all along, Im suprised he didnt in the beginning of the season honestly. And drew gooden..I assume he'll take the better offers then what we couldve gave him...I dont think danny thought we were frontrunners to get either smith(and he obviously heard it from his agent) or gooden, so he took what was there
When you got it going, you got it going. I just keep my focus down the stretch. That's when I want the ball. I'm just not afraid to fail."-PaulPierce

Offline TatteredOnMySleeve

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
cut pruitt and sign gooden..i guess now if boston would have waited they would have had smith or gooden...

Why do you assume that?
The reports from the begginning of the season were if Joe Smith got bought out, he was going to cleveland, hes played there and has a house there.
and no realistic shot at gooden as far as im concerned
When you got it going, you got it going. I just keep my focus down the stretch. That's when I want the ball. I'm just not afraid to fail."-PaulPierce

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336

Indeed. +1
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

Online celticinorlando

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 637
  • MASTER OF PANIC
i think boston would have gotten either gooden or smith. but it is a moot point now i guess

Offline CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 353

Let's not get carried away.  A healthy Gooden is definitely better than Moore (although a lot of everyone's defensive complaints about Moore would be just as true with Gooden).  But Smith and Moore are not that far apart, skill-wise.  And when you have a situation where Moore is already bought out, and there are no signs that Smith will be bought out, you don't wait around to see what transpires.  Especially when Cleveland has the benefit of more $$ to offer.

Now if Danny really believes that Smith or Gooden can help out a lot, I'm sure he won't hesitate to cut either Pruitt or Giddens and make a play for them.  But he still made the right decision by signing Moore, IMO.

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural

Let's not get carried away.  A healthy Gooden is definitely better than Moore (although a lot of everyone's defensive complaints about Moore would be just as true with Gooden).  But Smith and Moore are not that far apart, skill-wise.  And when you have a situation where Moore is already bought out, and there are no signs that Smith will be bought out, you don't wait around to see what transpires.  Especially when Cleveland has the benefit of more $$ to offer.

Now if Danny really believes that Smith or Gooden can help out a lot, I'm sure he won't hesitate to cut either Pruitt or Giddens and make a play for them.  But he still made the right decision by signing Moore, IMO.

Skills-wise, Smith is a better rebounder and defender, and a more consistent jump shooter.  He is significantly better than Mikki Moore.  Moore is an energy guy who is efficient offensively, but he's a poor rebounder, poor defender, and mediocre jump shooter.

Gooden is better offensively and a better rebounder than both, but he's lazy on defense.  However, I don't think he's any worse than Moore is; Moore simply tries harder.

I don't think Danny made the right decision at all.  It was fairly obvious that Smith was going to get bought out, and there were strong rumors about Gooden.  Unless Danny had specific information that buyouts were *not* going to happen, I would have preferred that Danny wait.  Moore is an upgrade over POB, but he's still the fifth best big in our rotation, in my opinion.  Smith or Gooden would have contended for the role of first big off the bench.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Offline CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 353

Skills-wise, Smith is a better rebounder and defender, and a more consistent jump shooter.  He is significantly better than Mikki Moore.  Moore is an energy guy who is efficient offensively, but he's a poor rebounder, poor defender, and mediocre jump shooter.

Gooden is better offensively and a better rebounder than both, but he's lazy on defense.  However, I don't think he's any worse than Moore is; Moore simply tries harder.

Since when is a 7-foot center who can consistently hit the jumper from 15-17 feet out considered a "mediocre" jump shooter?  And it doesn't change two very important facts.  Moore was the only one available out of the two.  And Cleveland had more $$ to offer.  If we let the Cavs, Spurs or any other contender pick up Moore, and Smith was never bought out, everyone would have been all over Danny for sitting on his hands and not doing anything.  The bottom line is, Danny improved the roster after the trading deadline.

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632

I don't think Danny made the right decision at all.  It was fairly obvious that Smith was going to get bought out, and there were strong rumors about Gooden.  Unless Danny had specific information that buyouts were *not* going to happen, I would have preferred that Danny wait.  Moore is an upgrade over POB, but he's still the fifth best big in our rotation, in my opinion.  Smith or Gooden would have contended for the role of first big off the bench.

I prefer Gooden or Smith over Moore, but I think Danny made the right decision, only because Smith was not coming here over Cleveland.  There is a reason he didn't care for a buyout until Cleveland came calling.  We were not getting Smith and Danny knew it. Personally, I think the way the Smith buyout was handled was done on purpose to make sure Boston signed someone else before he was bought out.  Remember Cleveland had said that they understood that Boston was interested in Mikki Moore and would wait for Smith to be bought out.  I remember reading that even before Mikki was signed.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
Since when is a 7-foot center who can consistently hit the jumper from 15-17 feet out considered a "mediocre" jump shooter?  And it doesn't change two very important facts.  Moore was the only one available out of the two.  And Cleveland had more $$ to offer.  If we let the Cavs, Spurs or any other contender pick up Moore, and Smith was never bought out, everyone would have been all over Danny for sitting on his hands and not doing anything.  The bottom line is, Danny improved the roster after the trading deadline.

To me, hitting 41% of your looks is "mediocre", regardless what height you are.  Moore averaged exactly one point per game on jumpers while in Sacramento.  If this was the weapon some suggest, I'd have to imagine that he could score more than that.

I don't know that Moore is really an upgrade for our playoff roster.  Doc is probably going to only play four bigs in the playoffs, and I would prefer that Powe and BBD over Moore.  Adding an inferior player to that rotation isn't really an upgrade.

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
I prefer Gooden or Smith over Moore, but I think Danny made the right decision, only because Smith was not coming here over Cleveland.  There is a reason he didn't care for a buyout until Cleveland came calling.  We were not getting Smith and Danny knew it. Personally, I think the way the Smith buyout was handled was done on purpose to make sure Boston signed someone else before he was bought out.  Remember Cleveland had said that they understood that Boston was interested in Mikki Moore and would wait for Smith to be bought out.  I remember reading that even before Mikki was signed.

There have been rumors all season that Smith was looking for a buyout.  Even as Smith was telling the media he didn't want a buyout, Smith's agent was talking with the Thunder.  This was before the Moore signing.

It's conjecture that Smith would have signed in Cleveland before Boston.  Maybe that's the case, and maybe it isn't.  However, I would have rather had the chance at Smith (or Gooden) than I would have Mikki Moore, who just isn't that good.

(As for Gooden, Danny obviously has a good relationship with the Sacramento front office.  I'm sure he could have gotten an update on the Gooden negotiations.)

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632

There have been rumors all season that Smith was looking for a buyout.  Even as Smith was telling the media he didn't want a buyout, Smith's agent was talking with the Thunder.  This was before the Moore signing.

It's conjecture that Smith would have signed in Cleveland before Boston.  Maybe that's the case, and maybe it isn't.  However, I would have rather had the chance at Smith (or Gooden) than I would have Mikki Moore, who just isn't that good.

(As for Gooden, Danny obviously has a good relationship with the Sacramento front office.  I'm sure he could have gotten an update on the Gooden negotiations.)

But it appears that Smith was working on a contract with Cleveland before he was bought out.  He didn't give the Celtics the same opportunity.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural

But it appears that Smith was working on a contract with Cleveland before he was bought out.  He didn't give the Celtics the same opportunity.

How do we know that at this point?

Re: The Moore signing was a mistake; Danny should have waited (split).
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2009, 08:28:01 AM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
Moore is the perfect length that we need, he's learning the team and i think he's going to do a good job.