Author Topic: The Moore signing was a mistake; Danny should have waited (split).  (Read 48518 times)

Re: The Moore signing was a mistake; Danny should have waited (split).
« Reply #75 on: March 02, 2009, 01:29:43 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
I'd rather have Moore than Smith.  

MM is a true center and has a better chance defensively against the likes of Big Z, Howard and Gasol.  We didn't need another pf playing out of position at the 5.

On top that, Smith's biggest strength is his outside J and Mikki's seems to be just as reliable.  Nope, no buyer's remorse here.

« Reply #76 on: March 02, 2009, 01:32:36 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255
Cut Davis or Powe to sign Smith? Are you out of your mind?

No.  They are both free agents next year and they are both (realistically) about 6-6 or 6-7.  The C's are not going to re-sign both of them.  If that's the case, why not cut the one you aren't going to re-sign now and pick up a legit big man with playoff experience in Joe Smith? 

Ideally, I'd rather cut Gabe Pruitt, who isn't under contract next year (team option) and isn't going to play this season anyway with Marbury here.  And if the team really wants him back next year when Marbury likely walks, I highly doubt there are going to be many teams competing with us for his services.  And even if he does sign with someone else, Pruitt is hardly irreplaceable. 

the problem with doing anything to sign Smith at this point is that you just flat-out lied to Moore. You promised a role to a guy who said he did not want to sign with the team if he was going to be buried on the bench and bringing in Smith does exactly that.

the big man rotation would be KG, Perk, BBD, Smith and Powe. You're not going deeper than that. especially not in the playoffs.

personally, i would not feel good about that happening.

« Reply #77 on: March 02, 2009, 01:34:34 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

No.  They are both free agents next year and they are both (realistically) about 6-6 or 6-7.  The C's are not going to re-sign both of them.  If that's the case, why not cut the one you aren't going to re-sign now and pick up a legit big man with playoff experience in Joe Smith? 

Ideally, I'd rather cut Gabe Pruitt, who isn't under contract next year (team option) and isn't going to play this season anyway with Marbury here.  And if the team really wants him back next year when Marbury likely walks, I highly doubt there are going to be many teams competing with us for his services.  And even if he does sign with someone else, Pruitt is hardly irreplaceable. 

the problem with doing anything to sign Smith at this point is that you just flat-out lied to Moore. You promised a role to a guy who said he did not want to sign with the team if he was going to be buried on the bench and bringing in Smith does exactly that.

the big man rotation would be KG, Perk, BBD, Smith and Powe. You're not going deeper than that. especially not in the playoffs.

Bringing Smith on doesn't mean that Moore's role would decrease. Why not Davis? Why not Powe? Especially when you consider that Moore would still be the only 7 footer on the bench.

« Reply #78 on: March 02, 2009, 01:35:53 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251

Bringing Smith on doesn't mean that Moore's role would decrease. Why not Davis? Why not Powe? Especially when you consider that Moore would still be the only 7 footer on the bench.

Defense.  Smtih isn't half the defender Powe or Davis is, and will struggle against any legit 5.

« Reply #79 on: March 02, 2009, 01:37:56 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255

the problem with decreasing Powe and BBDs roles is 1) They are better players than Moore and 2) They have had two years learning our defense.

seeing as we hang our hat on defense, lessening the roles of BBD and Powe, IMO, weakens our overall position.

« Reply #80 on: March 02, 2009, 01:39:20 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385

I agree with that statement.  Powe and Davis likely won't be back next year, so maybe whoever the odd man out is loses playing time.  Or maybe we just have a legit competition the rest of the way and whoever plays the best the last two dozen or so games gets the playoff rotation.  Or maybe we can start using some of our big guys at the 3 spot.  Powe might be athletic enough to guard some 3s in this league.  Furthermore, Garnett can play the 3 spot.  Maybe the answer to who guards the LeBrons and Joe Johnsons of the world when PP is out is KG sliding to the 3.  This would open up more time at the 4/5 spots.

Finally, it's Mikki Moore.  It would be one thing if we lied to Joe Smith or P.J. Brown, but Mikki Moore is hardly in their league in terms of accomplishments and in terms of respect accorded.  I don't think lying to him would hurt us all that much.  

« Reply #81 on: March 02, 2009, 01:39:53 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352

You can sign-and-trade the one you don't plan to keep, and get something in return that addresses our bench needs next season. Bonus: you don't have to use MLE money to do so.

Powe and Baby are chips, and have value. You don't give them away for nothing. I'd cut Pruitt first.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #82 on: March 02, 2009, 01:41:52 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

the problem with decreasing Powe and BBDs roles is 1) They are better players than Moore and 2) They have had two years learning our defense.

seeing as we hang our hat on defense, lessening the roles of BBD and Powe, IMO, weakens our overall position.

You're doing a ton of assumptions and ignoring other facts. Powe's defense is not that good to begin with, and you're ignoring matchups. Again, Moore would still be the only 7 footer on our bench that could be the better matchup against opposing centers over Smith, Powe, and Davis.

« Reply #83 on: March 02, 2009, 01:46:01 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas

You can sign-and-trade the one you don't plan to keep, and get something in return that addresses our bench needs next season. Bonus: you don't have to use MLE money to do so.

Powe and Baby are chips, and have value. You don't give them away for nothing. I'd cut Pruitt first.

I agree that you cut Pruitt first.  I was talking about just not playing the one the C's didn't plan on re-signing. 

As for a sign and trade, how is that going to happen?  Both players are coming off 2 year contracts, thus the C's do not have Bird rights on them yet.  They do have early Bird-rights, but that doesn't allow us to offer them much more than minimum contracts anyway.  Thus, in order to give them any sort of significant money, we'd have to offer them part of or all of the MLE, just like any other team.  Thus no team is going to give us anything in a trade when they could just sign them for part of or all of the MLE. 

Edit: actually, the above is only true for Big Baby.  Powe is in his third year now, so we would have Bird rights.  So assuming we wanted to deal Powe, that could work.  However, in this economic climate, I don't think that Powe is going to get a big contract from anyone.  There's talk that next year the likes of Allen Iverson and Rasheed Wallace might only net the MLE.  Thus, why not just use part of the MLE or LLE to sign him if you're another team?  Why give up anything for him? 
« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 01:52:01 PM by Jon »

« Reply #84 on: March 02, 2009, 01:54:15 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

I agree that you cut Pruitt first.  I was talking about just not playing the one the C's didn't plan on re-signing. 

As for a sign and trade, how is that going to happen?  Both players are coming off 2 year contracts, thus the C's do not have Bird rights on them yet.  They do have early Bird-rights, but that doesn't allow us to offer them much more than minimum contracts anyway.  Thus, in order to give them any sort of significant money, we'd have to offer them part of or all of the MLE, just like any other team.  Thus no team is going to give us anything in a trade when they could just sign them for part of or all of the MLE. 

Powe has been here three years, and we have his full Bird rights.

BBD has been here for two, and we have his early Bird rights.  That means we can give him a contract up to MLE money, without having to use the MLE.

EDIT:  Just saw your edit.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #85 on: March 02, 2009, 01:55:06 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White

Early-bird rights allow for us to resign either for up to the average player salary, which approaches the MLE.

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#19

A team looking to acquire either player without taking on additional payroll would be interested in a sign and trade. Given the economic climate for this year, and predictions for next, this could apply to a lot of teams.

« Reply #86 on: March 02, 2009, 02:00:58 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas

Early-bird rights allow for us to resign either for up to the average player salary, which approaches the MLE.

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#19

A team looking to acquire either player without taking on additional payroll would be interested in a sign and trade. Given the economic climate for this year, and predictions for next, this could apply to a lot of teams.

In this economic climate, no one is going to want Powe or Davis at close to the MLE.  Especially when there are whispers that Allen Iverson and Rasheed Wallace will see no more than the MLE.  If that's the case, Davis and Powe will be lucky to see more than a million or two a year.  And if that's the case, no one is going to to want to do a sign and trade. 

« Reply #87 on: March 02, 2009, 02:09:32 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
I agree, I said multiple times I'd have waited, even at the risk of having to sign a guy like Austin Croshere.

Ainge should have signed better players in the off-season, giving himself the luxury to wait now, and not being forced to pull the trigger on the first big man available (because POB was obviously an useless bum). 

« Reply #88 on: March 02, 2009, 02:18:19 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
Thus no team is going to give us anything in a trade when they could just sign them for part of or all of the MLE. 

In this economic climate, no one is going to want Powe or Davis at close to the MLE. 

So, you're saying no one will want to trade for either, when they can use some of their MLE money, but no one will want to spend their MLE money on them? I think you really just don't think much of either of them, which is a valid opinion.

But either definitely could be used in a trade, along with our expiring contracts (Allen, Scal, etc), to give a team financial relief from a veteran player on a long-term contract (e.g., Nocioni).

« Reply #89 on: March 02, 2009, 02:57:50 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
I'm just not convinced the difference between Moore and Smith is that great. Both aren't beasts that can protect the rim. Instead they are tall, mobile players that can hit jumpshots.

Would I rather have smith? yes. But i'll roll with Moore.

Lets get KG healthy, give Bill Walker a couple minutes and go get banner 18!