Author Topic: The Moore signing was a mistake; Danny should have waited (split).  (Read 48594 times)

Re: The Moore signing was a mistake; Danny should have waited (split).
« Reply #45 on: March 02, 2009, 09:54:15 AM »

Offline MMacOH

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 129
The Celtics traded Cassell with the agreement that Moore would be bought out so they could sign him.  They couldn't just trade Cassell for Moore because the salaries didn't match.

I saw this on an insider board somewhere in cleveland.  I just can't find the post anymore

« Reply #46 on: March 02, 2009, 09:57:42 AM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255
The Celtics traded Cassell with the agreement that Moore would be bought out so they could sign him.  They couldn't just trade Cassell for Moore because the salaries didn't match.

I saw this on an insider board somewhere in cleveland.  I just can't find the post anymore

so SAC agreed to release Moore....what was forcing the Cs to sign him?

plus, Moore was pushing for a buyout. was SAC not going to buyout a player that they had no use for, wasn't playing and wanted to get bought out?

I mean, they just bought out Gooden who was a better player....

« Reply #47 on: March 02, 2009, 10:02:02 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

plus, Moore was pushing for a buyout. was SAC not going to buyout a player that they had no use for, wasn't playing and wanted to get bought out?

Right.  Nothing forced the Celts to sign him, or forced Moore to sign here.  Both parties seem to have sought out the arrangement.  Danny *chose* Moore over Smith and Gooden.  I don't get it.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #48 on: March 02, 2009, 10:03:29 AM »

Offline MMacOH

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 129

I guess nothing made Danny sign him, but he did.  Maybe he thinks Moore is ore valuable than Smith

« Reply #49 on: March 02, 2009, 10:11:42 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Back room deal:

The Raptors want to move Solomon and need a big to replace Oneal on the bench at the 5 spot.

Sacramento wants salary cap relief and cash.

Boston wants Moore.

But due to the salaries involved and the restrictions in how much money can be included in a deal and how much money each team could afford. A strict trade wouldn't work. But if there is a pretense of trades for second round picks and cash and Sacramento promises to but out Moore to some predetermined number so that the Celtics could sign him and Moore's agent is down with the whole thing with a little wink and nod, then the whole deal goes down the way it does and Danny, due to the wink and nod, has to sign Moore. If he doesn't, Moore's agent comes forward with the tampering and the Celtics pay big time ala Minnesota/Joe Smith.

The way it worked everyone save a little money and got the players they wanted. I mean think about it, who the hell puts protection on second round draft picks to the point of making them impossible to get? No one, that's who. It was all pretense to make it appear legal.

« Reply #50 on: March 02, 2009, 10:22:49 AM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.

a verbal agreement...there was a day when a man's word once meant something.  i'm guessing danny made the promise...
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #51 on: March 02, 2009, 10:28:12 AM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas

yeah, but Moore wanted to be released anyway....It's not like he only wanted to be released if the Cs wanted him.

he was on a team going nowhere and he was buried on their bench....so i don't see where a promise comes in that respect.

now in terms of convincing to WANT to come here, clearly they promised him PT.

but as for a promise being a part of some back room deal, that doesn't make much sense.

Moore was going to get bought out either way. There was no reason to keep him and they save money...

a verbal agreement...there was a day when a man's word once meant something.  i'm guessing danny made the promise...

« Reply #52 on: March 02, 2009, 10:30:33 AM »

Offline soap07

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 145
Danny *chose* Moore over Smith and Gooden.  I don't get it.

What is there not to get? He didn't want to take the chance of losing out on all 3. There is no guarantee that Smith would have come to Boston. There were many indications, outside of Aldridge, that he would have gone to Cleveland. He also didn't want to take the chance that Gooden and Smith wouldn't be bought out so he took a sure option.

« Reply #53 on: March 02, 2009, 10:31:10 AM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
Back room deal:

The Raptors want to move Solomon and need a big to replace Oneal on the bench at the 5 spot.

Sacramento wants salary cap relief and cash.

Boston wants Moore.

But due to the salaries involved and the restrictions in how much money can be included in a deal and how much money each team could afford. A strict trade wouldn't work. But if there is a pretense of trades for second round picks and cash and Sacramento promises to but out Moore to some predetermined number so that the Celtics could sign him and Moore's agent is down with the whole thing with a little wink and nod, then the whole deal goes down the way it does and Danny, due to the wink and nod, has to sign Moore. If he doesn't, Moore's agent comes forward with the tampering and the Celtics pay big time ala Minnesota/Joe Smith.

The way it worked everyone save a little money and got the players they wanted. I mean think about it, who the hell puts protection on second round draft picks to the point of making them impossible to get? No one, that's who. It was all pretense to make it appear legal.

but this is based on us wanting Moore, not having to take him in order to get a deal done....

I though you were arguing that we had to take him for some reason....

« Reply #54 on: March 02, 2009, 10:31:24 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Moore gives effort and what not, but I'll stick with my original assessment: HE'S A BUM

PJ Brown is a tougher guy resting his retired buttocks on his couch, cozied up in a Snuggee, than Mikki will ever be.
Yup

« Reply #55 on: March 02, 2009, 10:33:19 AM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
Danny *chose* Moore over Smith and Gooden.  I don't get it.

What is there not to get? He didn't want to take the chance of losing out on all 3. There is no guarantee that Smith would have come to Boston. There were many indications, outside of Aldridge, that he would have gone to Cleveland. He also didn't want to take the chance that Gooden and Smith wouldn't be bought out so he took a sure option.

the thing not to get is why not risk all those things you're talking about...

if you lose out on Moore, go grab someone else to be at the end of your rotation.

Smith and Gooden are players that would get heavy minutes. heck they both now may be starters for CLE and SAS....

« Reply #56 on: March 02, 2009, 10:40:52 AM »

Offline soap07

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 145

the thing not to get is why not risk all those things you're talking about...

if you lose out on Moore, go grab someone else to be at the end of your rotation.

Smith and Gooden are players that would get heavy minutes. heck they both now may be starters for CLE and SAS....

Smith and Gooden in any starting line up do not scare me.

« Reply #57 on: March 02, 2009, 10:51:24 AM »

Offline twistedrico

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 22
I think Mikki Moore was a very good safe signing and he will help us in the long run for the title.

« Reply #58 on: March 02, 2009, 11:01:57 AM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
Nothing is stopping Danny from cutting Pruitt and signing Smith or Gooden.

I'm glad he signed Moore because if we ended up with nothing we'd be much worse off.

« Reply #59 on: March 02, 2009, 11:05:21 AM »

Offline twinbree

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 170
In hindsight its easy to say it was a mistake since Smith/Gooden have been bought out but there was no guarantee either of them were going to end up here so the Celtics rolled the dice on the safest option.
Smith is a better player but there is also no guarantee that he's going to be more useful to the Celtics than Moore will be. The Celtics are about the sum of the parts. The roster is full of players with gaping holes in their game but the team is making it work.
Tommy: He's got a line about me. Tell him the line.

Mike: Everybody 60 or over knows Tommy as a player. Everybody 40 or over knows Tommy as a coach. Everybody 20 or over knows Tommy as a broadcaster. And everybody 10 or under thinks he's Shrek.