Author Topic: The Moore signing was a mistake; Danny should have waited (split).  (Read 48577 times)

Offline Coach

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 109
Now if Danny really believes that Smith or Gooden can help out a lot, I'm sure he won't hesitate to cut either Pruitt or Giddens and make a play for them.  But he still made the right decision by signing Moore, IMO.

Let's get something straight.  They are not cutting Giddens, and probably not Pruitt.  They are on the books next year, and for them to cut them, they would have to eat their salary.  In these economic times, that isn't happening.  If we are going to cut someone for a power forward, it would be either Powe or Davis.  They come off the books this year, and by signing another power forward, they would become more redundant than they already are.
Pruitt is on a team option for next season. If the Celtics were to add another player and they feel that Pruitt will not grow into the type of player they need in one off season, he would be the man to go because he actually isn't on the books for next year.

You are right, they could cut Pruitt.  I said probably not Pruitt.  But I stand by saying they will not cut Giddens.  This doesn't mean they won't try to move him in the off season, but they won't cut him.

A tangent.... do you think they will try to sign both Powe and Davis in the off season?  I think they will only sign one, making one of them expendible.

Offline CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 353
Now if Danny really believes that Smith or Gooden can help out a lot, I'm sure he won't hesitate to cut either Pruitt or Giddens and make a play for them.  But he still made the right decision by signing Moore, IMO.

Let's get something straight.  They are not cutting Giddens, and probably not Pruitt.  They are on the books next year, and for them to cut them, they would have to eat their salary.  In these economic times, that isn't happening.  If we are going to cut someone for a power forward, it would be either Powe or Davis.  They come off the books this year, and by signing another power forward, they would become more redundant than they already are.
Pruitt is on a team option for next season. If the Celtics were to add another player and they feel that Pruitt will not grow into the type of player they need in one off season, he would be the man to go because he actually isn't on the books for next year.

Oh yeah, you're right.  Even more reason why Pruitt would be more at risk of getting cut.  Truthfully, though.  I don't see any more changes being made.  It looks like Gooden is going to San Antonio and Smith to Cleveland.  I don't know who else is out there that would be worth picking up.

Re: The Moore signing was a mistake; Danny should have waited (split).
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2009, 09:15:02 AM »

Offline kenmaine

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 25
  • Boston 104, New York 59
Moore is the perfect length that we need, he's learning the team and i think he's going to do a good job.

I hear that a lot, and maybe it's my basketball ignorance, but I don't understand.  What good is length, if it doesn't translate into blocks, rebounds, or offensive mismatches?  A player needs to bring more to the table than being 2 inches taller than other players, doesn't he?

I second that emotion Roy. Just because it's basketball, height isn't always everything. Examples- Cowens, Barkley, Adrian Dantley, etc. etc.
But I don't see that it was a huge mistake signing Moore- I just think he's a tenth or eleventh man, and if things go well(Scal comes back, or we sign another big) he won't see any time in the playoffs.

« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2009, 09:18:18 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
if Scal can't return, what are the chances we can get an injury exception for him in order to free up a roster spot?
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
Well Roy, it's entirely possible that Danny knew Smith was not coming to Boston when he talked with Smith's agent. This would not be publicized. If Danny knew Smith was not coming, then it was not a mistake to go for Moore, unless you really think he won't improve as he learns the C's system. Which is another issue. But the fact is Danny and others in the NBA know more than the public does about where players are going to end up, while you are assuming Smith was totally open to going to any contender.

Agreed.  If Danny knew that neither Smith nor Gooden would sign here, then Moore was the third best big available.  However, there have been several media reports that Smith wanted to be a Celtic, and publicly, he said he was flattered by the potential interest.  I have no idea what Gooden's thinking is, but I don't see why he wouldn't be motivated to stick it to his former team in the playoffs.

Hopefully some public comments come out to clarify this.  However, the picture that has been painted this far is that Danny specifically targeted Moore, and that makes little sense to me.

Danny was not born yesterday. You have to believe that he had pretty exhaustive conversations with Smith's agent and Presti before moving forward with Smith.

Mike

(My name is not Mike)

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Well Roy, it's entirely possible that Danny knew Smith was not coming to Boston when he talked with Smith's agent. This would not be publicized. If Danny knew Smith was not coming, then it was not a mistake to go for Moore, unless you really think he won't improve as he learns the C's system. Which is another issue. But the fact is Danny and others in the NBA know more than the public does about where players are going to end up, while you are assuming Smith was totally open to going to any contender.

Agreed.  If Danny knew that neither Smith nor Gooden would sign here, then Moore was the third best big available.  However, there have been several media reports that Smith wanted to be a Celtic, and publicly, he said he was flattered by the potential interest.  I have no idea what Gooden's thinking is, but I don't see why he wouldn't be motivated to stick it to his former team in the playoffs.

Hopefully some public comments come out to clarify this.  However, the picture that has been painted this far is that Danny specifically targeted Moore, and that makes little sense to me.

Danny was not born yesterday. You have to believe that he had pretty exhaustive conversations with Smith's agent and Presti before moving forward with Smith.

According to David Aldridge -- perhaps the best NBA reporter in the business -- Smith's first choice was Boston, but we passed due to Moore.

http://www.nba.com/2009/news/03/01/gooden.smith/index.html?rss=true

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2009, 09:27:22 AM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544
This is a business right, so if moore doesn't fit the bill waive him. We have guys that could help us more than Mr. moore. From what I saw Kings were right about not playing him. I doubt Gooden ever joins this team, but Ainge should at least make a bid for Joe Smith & waive Moore

« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2009, 09:31:13 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
As I said, I think the Moore signing had to get done to fulfill some back room, smoke filled deal with Sacramento. Because if it wasn't, I just don't see why Danny didn't just wait for the deadline before signing someone. It's not lkike if he hadn't signed Moore just yet that we could have signed him after exhausting our attempts at Smith.

« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2009, 09:37:51 AM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255
As I said, I think the Moore signing had to get done to fulfill some back room, smoke filled deal with Sacramento. Because if it wasn't, I just don't see why Danny didn't just wait for the deadline before signing someone. It's not lkike if he hadn't signed Moore just yet that we could have signed him after exhausting our attempts at Smith.

you're gonna have to lay this out better, nick.

what possible motive would SAC have to insist that we sign Moore?

« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2009, 09:39:59 AM »

Offline soap07

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 145
I am a little surprised at the amount of attention being paid to Joe Smith and Drew Gooden. Come on. Mikki Moore is already contributing more than PJ did during the regular season. This isn't that big of a deal. Are Smith/Gooden better than Mikki? Probably. It's not a significant enough difference to overshadow the fact that the C's have the best starting line-up in the league, with four potential all-stars...a solid back-up point guard,- arguably the best back-up point in the league, three big-men with different skill sets (all useful), including a 7 footer who can hit a 15 footer.

Joe Smith? Really? That still doesn't make the Cavaliers better than the C's. More than likely, the starters of the C's will be playing 38-42 minutes a game during the playoffs. This gives the C's, at any given point during a game, at least 3 of the best five players on the floor.

« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2009, 09:41:52 AM »

Offline soap07

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 145
My bet - if Moore wasn't signed by the C's, he would have been signed by someone else before Smith/Gooden had been bought out. Could you imagine the backlash if Ainge had lost out on all three? I respect Aldridge's reporting. But there were numerous reports about Smith's interest in going back to the Cavs as well. Until I see a direct quote attributed to Smith, I won't believe it. The difference between Moore and Smith is not big enough to make the Cavs better than the C's.

« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2009, 09:46:28 AM »

Offline TatteredOnMySleeve

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
My bet - if Moore wasn't signed by the C's, he would have been signed by someone else before Smith/Gooden had been bought out. Could you imagine the backlash if Ainge had lost out on all three? I respect Aldridge's reporting. But there were numerous reports about Smith's interest in going back to the Cavs as well. Until I see a direct quote attributed to Smith, I won't believe it. The difference between Moore and Smith is not big enough to make the Cavs better than the C's.

Mikki Moore definetly would've been signed by someone else...he chose Boston over Dallas that day (wouldve been a reunion with JKidd)

And I agree with your first post as well...this fuss over Gooden/Smith is ridicoulous..if signing Joe smith makes the cavs much better than us, we werent gonna win that series anyways...Joe smith isnt that much better than Mikki Moore at this point in his career
When you got it going, you got it going. I just keep my focus down the stretch. That's when I want the ball. I'm just not afraid to fail."-PaulPierce

« Reply #42 on: March 02, 2009, 09:50:50 AM »

Offline MMacOH

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 129
The Moore signing was part of the Cassell deal. 

« Reply #43 on: March 02, 2009, 09:51:15 AM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas

Mikki Moore definetly would've been signed by someone else...he chose Boston over Dallas that day (wouldve been a reunion with JKidd)

And I agree with your first post as well...this fuss over Gooden/Smith is ridicoulous..if signing Joe smith makes the cavs much better than us, we werent gonna win that series anyways...Joe smith isnt that much better than Mikki Moore at this point in his career

Smith doesn't need to make CLE "much" better than us for it to be a difference maker....

« Reply #44 on: March 02, 2009, 09:51:44 AM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
The Moore signing was part of the Cassell deal. 

in what way...