Author Topic: Gooden is bought out  (Read 6581 times)

Gooden is bought out
« on: March 02, 2009, 12:24:58 AM »

Offline KelticFan

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 15

http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/sports/kings/archives/020217.html

It looks like Cleveland will have a chance at both Smith and Gooden.

While I'm not a fan of other teams getting better, I personally don't have regret because, while I would have liked Joe Smith here, I don't really believe that we would have competed with Cleveland which has
  • familiarity: he played there, knows the system, the coaches, the facilities, the city
  • friendships: I heard it said that M. Williams is his best friend and I've also read that he hoped to go back to Cleveland several times
  • finances: Cleveland could outbid us
  • floor time: He's going to be the third big in Cleveland after Z and Varejao and fourth at worst if Wallace comes back whereas in Boston, third would mean him being the top reserve past Powe and Baby, while not out of the question, not a guarantee either.

As far as Gooden is concerned, I read that San Antonio is also in the running for his services. I'm not sure how we would have stacked up against the Spurs in a competition for his services but I believe that the Spurs would win that one over us as well. I'm not sure what their financial status is but they could offer him a starting role.

KF

Re: Gooden is bought out
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 12:40:41 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Gooden is a double-double guy, but I guess he doesn't play defense, huh?

I say we talk to both and if one is willing to sign just cut that bum Gabe Pruitt.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 12:46:25 AM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2009, 12:52:37 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Danny should consider cutting someone and adding one of those guys.

Why isn't Orlando being mentioned as a possible destination? They just beat in the paint again by the Pistons, a Drew Gooden could be a huge bonus for that team. Also, if the Hornets could get one of those guys on a minimum contract it would be well worth their money too.

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2009, 01:33:55 AM »

Offline Rondo_is_better

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 495
  • R.I.P. Nate Dogg

I say we talk to both and if one is willing to sign just cut that bum Gabe Pruitt.

Gabe Pruitt is about ten times better than JR Giddens. Cut the real scrub to make room for a new player; not Gabe.
Grab a few boards, keep the TO's under 14, close out on shooters and we'll win.

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2009, 01:40:06 AM »

Offline The Walker Wiggle

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 758
  • Pretend Hinkie
Possibly because Orlando is too familiar with Gooden's flaws? (Though I do believe he still has a home there.) He's a notoriously bad decision maker on both ends of the court.

On the other hand, he can score in the paint and has a nice mid-range game, is good on the glass, plays physical defense, and I remember he gave Garnett fits in their first match up last season, before being dealt to Chicago.

Still that ducktail on the back of his neck was maybe the worst look I've ever seen on the court. (Second runner up, Skinner's dyed goatee?)

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2009, 01:44:12 AM »

Offline The Walker Wiggle

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 758
  • Pretend Hinkie
P.S. Also guys has a lingering groin injury, possibly a hernia. That's going to make it tough for him to get up to speed wherever he lands.

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2009, 02:02:55 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Any chance Danny takes a shot at signing Gooden for super back up and reinforcement plans? Id love to have Gooden sitting at the end of the bench playing around 8-10 minutes a game. Too many big bodys can never hurt a team.

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2009, 02:24:05 AM »

Offline jimmehx

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 166
I heard someone on here say recently that the bigs will make the difference in the post season. I would love to see Gooden on our bench but I doubt we can make a serious run at him.
Smith to Cleveland, almost for sure.

"Uhhh... Wife makes chicken..." - Brian Scalabrine 2007.

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2009, 03:07:53 AM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
Gooden wasn't to happy with the Cavs, they kinda scapegoatted the guy. I think he'll go to The Lakers, (who would even spend that little amount ) Spurs ( Best spot for Gooden.) Orlando. ( I don't see it but?) Suns ( They have a spot and need him, he'd start) Celtics ( He'd get back at The Cavs and best chance for a ring.)

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2009, 03:50:58 AM »

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1227
now that scal is out indefinitely, i hope we can make a run at gooden.

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2009, 07:39:30 AM »

Offline TatteredOnMySleeve

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107

Gabe Pruitt is about ten times better than JR Giddens. Cut the real scrub to make room for a new player; not Gabe.

and we know this how? Gabe is in his second full-year as an NBA player and is still warming up the bench, struggles to get a few minutes, and if he does struggles to do much of anything and we have no idea how good JR giddens is, I highly doubt hes ten times worse then Gabe Pruitt
When you got it going, you got it going. I just keep my focus down the stretch. That's when I want the ball. I'm just not afraid to fail."-PaulPierce