Author Topic: 2024 Celtics Draft Workouts  (Read 13941 times)

2024 Celtics Draft Workouts
« on: May 15, 2024, 11:59:22 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 428
This is the list Per Hoopshype, I have removed the players who have officially pulled out of the draft and included players ages.

Ryan Dunn      Virginia   PF   So   21.3
Baylor Scheierman      Creighton   SF   Sr   23.73
Justin Edwards      Kentucky   SF   Fr   20.51
Jonathan Mogbo      San Francisco   PF   Jr   22.64
Dillon Jones      Weber St.   SF   Jr   22.64
Enrique Freeman      Akron   PF   Sr   23.89
Harrison Ingram      North Carolina   SF   Jr   21.4
Antonio Reeves      Kentucky   SG   Sr   23.58
Trentyn Flowers      Adelaide 36ers   SF   2005   19.28
Blake Hinson      Pittsburgh   SF   Sr   
Judah Mintz      Syracuse   PG   So   
Marcus Domask      Illinois   SG   Sr   
Jesse Edwards      West Virginia   C   Sr   
Tristan Enaruna      Cleveland St   SF   Sr   
Jaelen House      New Mexico   PG   Sr   
Chris Ledlum      St. John's   SG   Sr   
Malevy Leons      Bradley   PF   Sr   
Jaylin Williams      Auburn   PF   Sr   
Kyle Rode      Liberty   SF   Sr   
Cormac Ryan      North Carolina   SG   Sr   
Anton Watson      Gonzaga   PF   Sr   
Jaylin Williams      Auburn   PF   Sr   
« Last Edit: June 20, 2024, 12:01:09 PM by CFAN38 »
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

Re: 2024 Celtics Draft Workouts
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2024, 12:06:36 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
Im going to try to keep an updated list of who the Cs are report to be working out. In recent draft cycles teams and prospects are much smarter about keeping workouts quiet.

The first one I have seen is JT Toppin, my initial reaction is that he might fit as a "pre-draft" candidate meaning take him now before he develops into a much higher pick. He will be 19 on the night of the draft and is a 6'7 221lb 7' wingspan power forward. He put up great numbers for New Mexico in only 26mpg he averaged 12pts 9rb 1stl and 1.8blks. He does check a few of my BS draft boxes in that he is young and has + length.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2024, 01:34:07 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
Added Jaylin Williams for Auburn to the list. He is an older prospect (23) who could be a late second round / post draft free agent option who at 6'8 245 and an explosive athlete. He also shot the 3 really well this season. Maybe at his veiling he could be Brandon Bass like role player.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2024, 06:07:44 PM »

Offline Boss_D

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 9

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2024, 07:52:12 PM »

Offline mobilija

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 654
Added Jaylin Williams for Auburn to the list. He is an older prospect (23) who could be a late second round / post draft free agent option who at 6'8 245 and an explosive athlete. He also shot the 3 really well this season. Maybe at his veiling he could be Brandon Bass like role player.

Fan of Jaylin Williams. Jack of all trades, very efficient team player. Will be able to fill a role day1. Celtics need draft picks like him.

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2024, 09:10:09 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1009

Fan of Jaylin Williams. Jack of all trades, very efficient team player. Will be able to fill a role day1. Celtics need draft picks like him.

Jaylin Williams would have fit better on last year’s team with Grant Williams, Robert Williams, and Jaylen Brown.

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2024, 07:53:35 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 989
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I’ve stopped following draft prospects and don’t watch any college hoops. That said, I would vote for a high-risk high-reward type player, maybe a Euro. Heck, maybe do a draft night trade for that type of guy. This team has plenty of depth so they don’t need help right away.

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2024, 08:20:17 AM »

Offline mobilija

• Jim Loscutoff
I’ve stopped following draft prospects and don’t watch any college hoops. That said, I would vote for a high-risk high-reward type player, maybe a Euro. Heck, maybe do a draft night trade for that type of guy. This team has plenty of depth so they don’t need help right away.

Disagree. I think this team needs cheap cost controlled players that can contribute if called upon. High floor guys.

Plus, I wanna see Brad nail some draft picks. His drafting is a bit of an unknown for us. He hasn’t really missed any picks yet, but he hasn’t really hit yet either. I like his picks so far, but they haven’t exactly contributed.

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2024, 09:22:31 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 633

Disagree. I think this team needs cheap cost controlled players that can contribute if called upon. High floor guys.

Plus, I wanna see Brad nail some draft picks. His drafting is a bit of an unknown for us. He hasn’t really missed any picks yet, but he hasn’t really hit yet either. I like his picks so far, but they haven’t exactly contributed.

Yeah, I like Oshae, but he sure isn't like Tim Harsaway, or even Obi Toppin. A better bench wing than Hauser would be nice right now.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2024, 09:28:20 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
2024 NBA Draft Workout Tracker
https://hoopshype.com/lists/2024-draft-workouts-tracker/

good find I didn't know they had started tracking for this year.

Interesting that the first round of workouts is power forward focused. 
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2024, 11:53:32 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 905
For the last couple of years, they have used the draft for more of the high upside “prospects”, such as J.D. Davison and Jordan Walsh.  We also have Jayden Springer and Neemias Queta who are more upside prospects than reliable low-cost bench guys (high floor guys), right now anyway.  The high floor guys have come through FA and trades.

We have 3 FAs, that may need to be replaced, Tillman, Mykhailiuk, and Kornet.  It is possible that Springer kind of replaces Mykhailiuk as more of a reliable low-cost guy vs. a prospect.  It is also possible that Queta replaces Kornet and kind of graduates from being just a prospect (although both may well be back).  I don’t see a draft pick replacing Tillman.  I see the draft pick as prospect.  I like having about 2-3 prospects on the roster, along with the two-way guys of course.

I would advocate for the following:

High Floor Reliable Guys:
Springer (replacing Mykhailiuk)
Kornet (bring him back)
Tillman (bring him back)

Upside Prospects:
Queta (he is probably still developmental)
Walsh (Rookie contract)
Draft Pick (best available)

Two-Ways:
Whoever, JD Davison may not be back but see who is available and take some chances.

I am assuming that the top 8 all come back (including Hauser who has a team option), so those 6 above plus Brissett (who is signed) would put us at 15.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2024, 12:43:22 PM by Vermont Green »

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2024, 01:39:14 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
For the last couple of years, they have used the draft for more of the high upside “prospects”, such as J.D. Davison and Jordan Walsh.  We also have Jayden Springer and Neemias Queta who are more upside prospects than reliable low-cost bench guys (high floor guys), right now anyway.  The high floor guys have come through FA and trades.

We have 3 FAs, that may need to be replaced, Tillman, Mykhailiuk, and Kornet.  It is possible that Springer kind of replaces Mykhailiuk as more of a reliable low-cost guy vs. a prospect.  It is also possible that Queta replaces Kornet and kind of graduates from being just a prospect (although both may well be back).  I don’t see a draft pick replacing Tillman.  I see the draft pick as prospect.  I like having about 2-3 prospects on the roster, along with the two-way guys of course.

I would advocate for the following:

High Floor Reliable Guys:
Springer (replacing Mykhailiuk)
Kornet (bring him back)
Tillman (bring him back)

Upside Prospects:
Queta (he is probably still developmental)
Walsh (Rookie contract)
Draft Pick (best available)

Two-Ways:
Whoever, JD Davison may not be back but see who is available and take some chances.

I am assuming that the top 8 all come back (including Hauser who has a team option), so those 6 above plus Brissett (who is signed) would put us at 15.

If you add Begarin to the Stevens pick list we get a picture that Brad values elite physical profiles and age in his prospects. 

Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2024, 01:42:41 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker

Yeah, I like Oshae, but he sure isn't like Tim Harsaway, or even Obi Toppin. A better bench wing than Hauser would be nice right now.

I suspect that the hope is for Walsh to surpasses Brissete in the rotation next season. 
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2024, 01:47:54 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 382
Im going to try to keep an updated list of who the Cs are report to be working out. In recent draft cycles teams and prospects are much smarter about keeping workouts quiet.

The first one I have seen is JT Toppin, my initial reaction is that he might fit as a "pre-draft" candidate meaning take him now before he develops into a much higher pick. He will be 19 on the night of the draft and is a 6'7 221lb 7' wingspan power forward. He put up great numbers for New Mexico in only 26mpg he averaged 12pts 9rb 1stl and 1.8blks. He does check a few of my BS draft boxes in that he is young and has + length.
I’m a huge New Mexico Lobo fan and couldn’t agree more on JT Toppin. If he develops an outside game he’s going to be a very solid NBA player. But he just withdrew from the draft yesterday and committed to Texas Tech. [dang] that NIL money.

The other New Mexico player to keep an eye on for the future is PG Donovan Dent. Excellent handle and finisher. But he’s not in this years draft either.

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2024, 02:07:44 PM »

Offline mobilija

• Jim Loscutoff
I’ve liked that BS has swung for the fences in guys with elite physical tools that have high ceiling, it’s been smart strategy. But so far Bergan is likely never gonna see the NBA, JD Davison has a chance to crack a rotation somewhere (not on Boston) and Walsh jury still out but feel like he could push Brissett.

But it’s time to draft guys that can play while we are in win now mode. High floor doesn’t necessarily mean low ceiling. Look at Miami, heck look at one of the top 3 guys on the Eastern Conference runner-up, Nembrand.

But I like VGs list. Keeping Kornet and Tillman should be a priority but they may be pricey (!?!). Springer is good investment but still closer to a prospect than a rotation guy. Bye Bye Svi for sure. Feels like a safer move would be to target a big or a swing that can be somewhat reliable.

I mean if the high upside guy slides in this draft (which…is that anyone in this class?) then it’s prolly worth taking a swing. Much like Davidson and Walsh. But in a draft loaded with experienced players, I’d take a shot at grabbing a good one. Plus I’d like to see Steven’s evaluation there, think he could hit on that.