Poll

Is rondo now a hall of famer?

Yes. He won twice and set many records
4 (22.2%)
No, still hasn’t done enough for HOF
14 (77.8%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Author Topic: Lebron: “I needed rondo.” Is Rondo now a hall of famer?  (Read 2713 times)

Lebron: “I needed rondo.” Is Rondo now a hall of famer?
« on: October 12, 2020, 02:00:12 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/30095439/nba-finals-biggest-takeaways-los-angeles-lakers-title-clinching-win-miami-heat

That day, James gave a lesson on where he was in his basketball life. He talked about how he had to have teammates who could think the game as well as play it. He name-checked one player twice: Rajon Rondo.

"Not only do you have to have the talent," James said, "you have to have the minds as well."

And he brought Rondo, the player he thought was vital to a championship team, with him.

https://twitter.com/nbaspain/status/1315474101000048640?s=21
« Last Edit: October 12, 2020, 02:20:18 AM by CelticsElite »

Re: Lebron: I needed rondo
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2020, 02:04:54 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 995
Gross.

Honestly, if this wasn't a bubble season and all the NBA playoff teams had to actually travel to play their away games then IDK if the Lakers make it far. I don't know if the Clippers would choke a 3-1 lead. IDK if the Jazz would choke a 3-1 lead. IDK if the Celtics would have won all 4 road games in Toronto including Game 7, or if the Raptors winning all their games at the TD Garden. IDK if Miami would have faltered against the Bucks or Celtics on the road.

The bubble environment really increased the confidence of these role players like KCP, Tyler Herro, etc.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

Re: Lebron: I needed rondo
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2020, 02:22:03 AM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Gross.

Honestly, if this wasn't a bubble season and all the NBA playoff teams had to actually travel to play their away games then IDK if the Lakers make it far. I don't know if the Clippers would choke a 3-1 lead. IDK if the Jazz would choke a 3-1 lead. IDK if the Celtics would have won all 4 road games in Toronto including Game 7, or if the Raptors winning all their games at the TD Garden. IDK if Miami would have faltered against the Bucks or Celtics on the road.

The bubble environment really increased the confidence of these role players like KCP, Tyler Herro, etc.
Sour grapes.  Everybody played in the same environment.  Every team has role players who had the same opportunity to step up. 

Re: Lebron: “I needed rondo.” Is Rondo now a hall of famer?
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2020, 09:13:01 AM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 94
“I needed AD to force that trade. Now instead of missing the playoffs, AD and I won a championship.”

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2020, 09:20:40 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
He’s not close in my mind.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2020, 09:22:13 AM »

Offline cons

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
his highs are really high - HOF discussion worthy

but i think overall his lows have outnumbered his highs , and his low in dallas was pretty bad - derailed that seaon for them.

so i don think overall he'll be in the HOF.

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2020, 09:31:54 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
No, he's not.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2020, 09:35:05 AM »

Offline celts10

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 25
I don't think so. His Celtics highs were great but the ACL injury really screwed him in the prime of his career.

When was the last time he was a top five point guard in this league? Like 2013?

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2020, 09:56:11 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
Rondo can be an important player on a championship team that has a number of actual stars, like the 2008 Celtics or the 2020 Lakers.  But Hall of Fame?  Not even close.

Glad to see him get another ring though.  In aggregate, he has had a nice career.  Good for him.

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2020, 10:17:33 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Rondo getting another ring, as a vital contributor, is the only good thing to come out of these finals. I'll always be a huge fan of his and would love to see him don the green again.

I'm glad I didn't waste a single second of my time watching the finals though, I'd rather have just gouged my eyes out.

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2020, 11:17:05 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
Rondo has no where near the resume needed.  4 all star games, just 1 once All NBA and that was 3rd Team, though does have 4 All Defense Teams (2 each on 1st and 2nd team).  No awards.  He was at best the 3rd best player on the Lakers (at best) and was no better than 4th on the Celtics title team.  Did lead the league 3 times for apg and once for spg (which significantly boosts his HOF Probability - see below), but never was a scorer or efficient at what little scoring he had.  Solid rebounder, maybe even great for the position, but not uber elite. 

That said HOF Probability has him at 60.6%, which would probably put him in the HOF, but I just don't see it.  I mean Draymond Green has a better resume and he only has a 30.17% probability (Klay Thompson is 51.29% and I'd argue he has a better resume as well).  Kawhi is also at just 55.56% and he clearly would make the HOF before Rondo.  Rondo is getting a bit of a boost for longevity as well as those 4 stats leading the league, which is artificially making him seem like a better candidate than he actually is.  Rondo needs to do a lot more to make the HOF, though I do think he has a shot if he can remain an integral part of the Lakers and if they pick up another title or two.

And while Rondo played well in game 6, for the entire finals he averaged only 8.7/5.2/5.5 on 38.8% shooting.  It isn't like he was a menace for that series and really cemented himself or his candidacy.  He played well, but his level of importance to the series victory was like 2% and right around KCP in level of importance (Lebron was like 55%, Davis like 40%, and the rest of the team 5%).
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2020, 12:13:30 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I don't think his peak was high enough or sustained enough to get him there.  Yes he won a second title, but he did so as a role player coming off the bench.  He was never the best or even second best player on a title team. 

He also flamed out in several locations due to personality or conflicts with the coach.  That's bad for your legacy unless you're super duper talented.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2020, 12:45:42 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Nowhere close.

Two titles as a role player doesn't get you into the Hall.

He had a few All-Star caliber years in between but not many enough to warrant consideration here either.

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2020, 01:23:51 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
I mean, I love Rondo and all, but I don't see how he qualifies for the HOF.

Of course, there are probably worse players already inducted, so.....

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2020, 02:22:36 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
I'll add to the chorus that he's not a hall of famer.

What a bizarre career he's had. Remember when he led the NBA is assists on a 33 win Sacramento team?
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008