Author Topic: Woj: Spencer Dinwiddie signs 3yr/34M extension with BKN  (Read 4178 times)

Woj: Spencer Dinwiddie signs 3yr/34M extension with BKN
« on: December 13, 2018, 05:30:12 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Spencer Dinwiddie will get $34M over a three-year extension with Nets, league source tells ESPN. There will be a player option on third year, sources said.

Dinwiddie was eligible for four years, $47M, but sides went with a shorter deal that would get him back into free agency quicker. His new deal will pay him: $10.6M, $11.4M and $12.3M annually starting with the 2019-20 season.

Twitter link

This guy was awesome last year, bringing down BKN's pick position and preventing CLE from getting prospects like Doncic, JJJ, Ayton, or WCJ.

Re: Woj: Spencer Dinwiddie signs 3yr/34M extension with BKN
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2018, 05:43:56 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Good for him. It's tough for the "NBA middle class" to find a place and get the money they deserve, so seeing a guy like him get a long term commitment is nice
I'm bitter.

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2018, 06:22:26 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
Spencer Dinwiddie will get $34M over a three-year extension with Nets, league source tells ESPN. There will be a player option on third year, sources said.

Dinwiddie was eligible for four years, $47M, but sides went with a shorter deal that would get him back into free agency quicker. His new deal will pay him: $10.6M, $11.4M and $12.3M annually starting with the 2019-20 season.

Twitter link

This guy was awesome last year, bringing down BKN's pick position and preventing CLE from getting prospects like Doncic, JJJ, Ayton, or WCJ.

Yes, we should all worship Dinwiddie!  ;D

Cavs fans hate him for doing that to them, so that would balance things out.

Good for him. It's tough for the "NBA middle class" to find a place and get the money they deserve, so seeing a guy like him get a long term commitment is nice

I think he could have gotten a lot more on the market. Terry Rozier is gonna get a bigger contract than that for instance, I'm sure of that.

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2018, 06:57:26 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

Twitter link

I think he could have gotten a lot more on the market. Terry Rozier is gonna get a bigger contract than that for instance, I'm sure of that.

I'm not so sure about that. What a contract like this, Smart's 4 yrs - 52M, Josh Richardson's 4 yrs - 42M, Rubio's 4 yrs - 55M, Exum's 3 yrs - 33M, Gordon's 4 yrs - 53M, Barton 4 yrs - 53M, Bradley's 2 yrs - 25M, etc., is that it continues to set precedence in terms of market value for the 4th or 5th best player on a given team.

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2018, 07:10:41 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Twitter link

I'm not so sure about that. What a contract like this, Smart's 4 yrs - 52M, Josh Richardson's 4 yrs - 42M, Rubio's 4 yrs - 55M, Exum's 3 yrs - 33M, Gordon's 4 yrs - 53M, Barton 4 yrs - 53M, Bradley's 2 yrs - 25M, etc., is that it continues to set precedence in terms of market value for the 4th or 5th best player on a given team.
I agree. I think Rozier's value is about set at $10-13 million per.

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2018, 09:23:07 PM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
I wonder what will be the market for Marcus Morris..the guy is flat out balling right now. Practically tied with Tatum as the second best offensive weapon we have

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2018, 09:27:11 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I wonder what will be the market for Marcus Morris..the guy is flat out balling right now. Practically tied with Tatum as the second best offensive weapon we have
Yeah, he’s been amazing. 15/6 while shooting very close to 50/40/90, all the while his role changes game to game. I’d much rather keep him than TRoz, but unsure if we will be able.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2018, 10:04:25 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
Yeah, he’s been amazing. 15/6 while shooting very close to 50/40/90, all the while his role changes game to game. I’d much rather keep him than TRoz, but unsure if we will be able.
My idea to keep Morris is have Horford opt out and re-sign him for 4 years for $68 million. That gives Horford a basic extension of 3 years for $51 million. It saves $13 million from the team salary in 2019-20 so you can allocate some of that savings to a Morris contract and some to Kyrie's new contract without killing you in luxury tax.

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2018, 10:48:15 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
My idea to keep Morris is have Horford opt out and re-sign him for 4 years for $68 million. That gives Horford a basic extension of 3 years for $51 million. It saves $13 million from the team salary in 2019-20 so you can allocate some of that savings to a Morris contract and some to Kyrie's new contract without killing you in luxury tax.

I like that idea.  It seems like by saying this you are saying no to a Rozier deal in the 10 to 13 mil range? I’m greedy and would like all back. Ha At the very least I would like a sign and trade to get value back.  Of course a trade for say Davis complicates things more.

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2018, 11:14:52 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

I like that idea.  It seems like by saying this you are saying no to a Rozier deal in the 10 to 13 mil range? I’m greedy and would like all back. Ha At the very least I would like a sign and trade to get value back.  Of course a trade for say Davis complicates things more.
I'm good in letting Rozier go and using the Sactown pick to draft a good guard to replace him. That would give us a nice cost controlled fourth guard for 4 years and will need that with all the contracts coming up(Brown, Tatum) in future years.

We would still have Smart, Brown and Kyrie as a backcourt rotation which is pretty awesome and easily doable with each getting 32 minutes a game.

But long term it gives you
Kyrie
Smart
Brown
Hayward
Tatum
Horford
Morris
Ojeleye
Yabusele
Sac pick.

That's ten guys for years as a core. They will be ridiculously familiar with each other for those years which is huge for going for a multiple year run at titles.

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2018, 01:50:40 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

I'm good in letting Rozier go and using the Sactown pick to draft a good guard to replace him. That would give us a nice cost controlled fourth guard for 4 years and will need that with all the contracts coming up(Brown, Tatum) in future years.

We would still have Smart, Brown and Kyrie as a backcourt rotation which is pretty awesome and easily doable with each getting 32 minutes a game.

But long term it gives you
Kyrie
Smart
Brown
Hayward
Tatum
Horford
Morris
Ojeleye
Yabusele
Sac pick.

That's ten guys for years as a core. They will be ridiculously familiar with each other for those years which is huge for going for a multiple year run at titles.
Don’t forget Williams!

But yeah, there are a few nifty guards. Dort, Hands and K Johnson all look nice.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2018, 09:09:09 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
As has been said, I think Rozier's value is right around this. In fact, this and Exum's might be market-setters for Rozier.

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2018, 10:53:33 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I'd rather have Dinwiddie than Rozier, so hopefully this does set the market for TRoz.  At that rate he could potentially be brought back.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2018, 11:04:08 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
I'd rather have Dinwiddie than Rozier, so hopefully this does set the market for TRoz.  At that rate he could potentially be brought back.

Classic Moranis with his typical “grass is always greener on the other side” narrative. Would love to hear from Moranis in dissecting Dinwiddie’s game to support his statement. Hopefully he brings up Dinwiddie’s awful defense and rebounding (two things he loves to trash Irving for). Who knows maybe he also brings up his low assist numbers/high turnovers in discussion?

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2018, 11:36:11 AM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason

This does lock out any chance of signing Anthony Davis as a free agent later. Horford will jump all over this deal because it sets the breakeven point of 12.66 mil/yr on his future contract. The odds of him getting anything north of that at 34 years old is super slim.

I'd rather pay him his 30 mil next year and sign him for the vet minimum (about 3 mil a year -- total 39 mil over 4 years) and go for Davis in 2020. Should be an easy sell for Ainge.