Author Topic: Shav signed for rest of season w/team option next year  (Read 1048 times)

Shav signed for rest of season w/team option next year
« on: March 20, 2013, 08:39:01 PM »

Offline mainevent

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 203
All of our China-men got the same deal....

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/226815/Shavlik-Randolph-To-Sign-With-Celtics-For-Rest-Of-Season

Shavlik Randolph To Sign With Celtics For Rest Of Season
Shavlik Randolph will sign with the Boston Celtics for the rest of the season with a team option on his contract for next season, a league source told RealGM.

With Randolph’s second 10-day contract expiring on Wednesday night, the Celtics decided to keep the 6-foot-10 forward to maintain their frontcourt depth and continuity in the locker room.

Randolph has played in three of the Celtics’ last four games, posting a combined 10 points, 12 rebounds and two steals in two matchups against the Charlotte Bobcats last week.

After a dominant run in China, Randolph, 29, signed his first 10-day deal with the Celtics on March 1 and a second on March 11.

The Celtics also kept D.J. White for the remainder of the season on Wednesday.
"Mosquitoes refuse to bite me....purely out of respect"

Re: Shav signed for rest of season w/team option next year
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2013, 08:42:02 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I'm pretty skeptical that it's a team option.  Rather, it would make more sense if it's a non-guaranteed next year.  Among other things, non-guaranteed deals are easier to trade.

A team option would be essentially useless.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2013, 09:10:17 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
I'm pretty skeptical that it's a team option.  Rather, it would make more sense if it's a non-guaranteed next year.  Among other things, non-guaranteed deals are easier to trade.

Thinking the same thing.

More trade fillers for Ainge to work with....Smart

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2013, 09:11:35 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

I often wonder about the accuracy considering how some reporters kinda use non-guaranteed and team option interchangeably.

Regardless, whether team option or non-guaranteed it's a good to have.

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2013, 09:11:36 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

I don't think it is useless, since Daryl Morey likes to sign these sorts of players with the second and third years as team options (see Greg Smith, Patrick Beverley, and Tim Olbrecht).

It may not be better than an unguaranteed year, but having a team option is better than having a player signed only through the end of the season because you can still have the player for cheap if he plays well during the rest of the season.  And the option year doesn't have to be guaranteed.

Perhaps a decent compromise would be an option with a large enough guarantee that the Celtics would be invested in seeing how the player does in summer league play before making a decision.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2013, 09:19:52 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
T.Will's deal looking a lot less significant.