Author Topic: Has Jeff Green Arrived?  (Read 4039 times)

Re: Has Jeff Green Arrived?
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2013, 03:07:36 PM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 406
My takeaway from this game is that green is a 4.
Start him next to kg. we don't really loose much in the rebounding dept and we gain SO much.

Yeah, with the way most teams play now, this is something that probably would be to our benefit.  Still, against teams that start a more traditional fron-court pairing, it is problematic.

Green still has probllems defending guys like Love, Griffin, Z.Randoplh, West, Milsap, etc..  Lukily, most all of these players play out West.  Not too many traditional front-court pairings in the East.
Against Miami staring Green is the way to go, even at full strength. Green gives us a bigger advantage over Haslem than Bass does, and if they go to their best lineup of Battier/Ray/Wade/LBJ/Bosh its our best matchup.

Against most other teams I think starting Bass and going from there is still best.

As Kg's Knee pointed out, there are only a handful of teams who's starting 4 is of the old school bang down low big guy variety. Green is at a disadvantage guarding these guys but they are at a disadvantage guarding him. I say play to our strength, force other teams to adapt to us.

« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2013, 03:28:57 PM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
I've been really optimistic on Jeff though it's been a long wait to see him contribute the way he has in the past couple months. I think he continues to rise. Thanks to Seattle & OKC for warming him up until we reacquired him.

To see him go toe to toe with LeBron, not back down and pretty much match him on both ends of the floor was impressive. I believed he could play that well, but to see it was something else all together. Hopefully, this is a new level of play that we can expect from him more often.

He's one of those guys who has an immense amount of talent and ability, but who has never matched that with a similar level of hard work, effort, or heart.

Love the post, and my only issue with it is the insinuation that Jeff Green has never worked hard enough. I totally disagree there. I started watching him back at Georgetown. He's always had game. It takes ridiculous work to build those skills.

But yes on confidence issues, fitting in, finding a role and getting back to full strength. I just don't think Jeff has ever been one to lack for hard work and effort.

« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2013, 03:53:18 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Everytime Green came out of the game last night, the Heat went on a streak to get back into the game. When Doc took Green out with 7 minutes in the fourth quarter I knew we were going to loose the game. What a dumb move that resulted in what a 9 - 0 or 11 - 0 run in about two and a half minutes after we had just gotten the lead to 13? I get that you need to give players rest. But on a night like last night, I dont care how dogged Green was, you dont take a player having a game of a lifetime and a true positive effect on the entire game like that out in crunch time like that.

So, when do you take him out?  Do you run him ragged and sit him the last three minutes of the game?  Is the problem that Doc should have sat him earlier instead of playing him the entire 3rd quarter and several minutes into the fourth quarter?
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2013, 04:53:34 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
No.  Jeff Green hasn't "arrived".

He's been pretty consistently solid since his 2nd season in the league.  His per minute numbers are on a par with anything he's ever done.

Per 36 minutes;  16 points, 5 rebounds, 1.2 blocks... career averages of 15 points, 6 rebounds, .7 blocks ... so he's actually scoring better in Boston than he's ever done.  There's only so much he can do averaging 23 minutes a night, though.

In Seattle, I noticed that in the rare games when Durant sat out, Green consistently put up 20+ points. 

In Boston in 4 games that he's started he's averaged 35 minutes,  24.5 points, 5.5 rebounds, 2.8 assists, 2.3 blocks, 1.3 steals 62% shooting, 62% from three and 79% from the line

That said, don't expect him to put up 20+ a night coming off the bench for Paul Pierce.   He'll never "arrive" until he's consistently starting and is the 2nd or 3rd scoring option on the team.  At that point, he'll be averaging 19 or so points and will be a fringe allstar... a Danny Granger type.  He'll probably never actually make an allstar team, though.   He's been capable of that for a few years now and he'll continue to be capable of that for the next 5-6.

« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2013, 05:17:53 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 227
what impressed me most about Green last night is that he did it on both sides of the floor. It's one thing to get 43 points when you're not exerting so much energy on the defensive end but Green played solid, smart defense on the best player in the game last night.

What i learned last night is that Jeff Green is a star. You don't put up 43 points on the best defensive team in the NBA by accident. It's just all mental with Jeff. He needs to bring the same energy and focus that he brought last night every night.

« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2013, 05:26:15 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
Everytime Green came out of the game last night, the Heat went on a streak to get back into the game. When Doc took Green out with 7 minutes in the fourth quarter I knew we were going to loose the game. What a dumb move that resulted in what a 9 - 0 or 11 - 0 run in about two and a half minutes after we had just gotten the lead to 13? I get that you need to give players rest. But on a night like last night, I dont care how dogged Green was, you dont take a player having a game of a lifetime and a true positive effect on the entire game like that out in crunch time like that.

So, when do you take him out?  Do you run him ragged and sit him the last three minutes of the game?  Is the problem that Doc should have sat him earlier instead of playing him the entire 3rd quarter and several minutes into the fourth quarter?

If I were Doc, I would've gambled and played Green till 3 minutes to go in the fourth. Gamble for a lead, like during our Bobcats game. (weaker opponent obviously, but same premise)

Taking out "hot" players is always dumb imo
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"