Author Topic: 76ers Fans Panicking over Fultz; Many Deeming Trade a Disaster  (Read 12687 times)

Re: 76ers fans panicking over fultz, many deeming the trade a disaster
« Reply #90 on: October 22, 2018, 05:15:14 PM »

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 286

They should be panicking Fultz is looking more and more like a blown pick.  All that tanking and all those picks, you're bound to miss on one of them.   Of course, with Fultz the signs were there his only college year when he vanished for half the year, and could not play his team,which good college players can, into the NCAA March Madness.  They drank the Kool-aid and got on the hype train.   People did here, too, it happens, no one is right all the time.

I don't root for Philly in any way, nor do I want them to right the ship.   I recall them ganging on up on Bird.  While, I really respected those Philly teams, I do not respect the new team.  Embiid and Simmons are crybabies, and hard for an old school like me to like.

yeah but this would be the 2nd one.  People forget that Okafor was a bust too.

2017: Markelle Fultz (#1)
2016: Ben Simmons (#1)
2015: Jahlil Okafor (#3)
2014: Joel Embiid (#3)
2013: Nerlens Noel (#6)

Having picks this high for 5 consecutive years is astonishing. If Fultz ends up being a huge whiff, Philly should be embarrassed by what they have to show their tanking.  Yes they have a franchise cornerstone in Embiid and a future all star in Simmons, but this team could have been a juggernaut for a decade
Don’t forget about the colossal whiff that was ET in 2010, ahead of DeMarcus Cousins, Hayward & PG13

Although he’s not a great player, Turner is pretty good. I think that the present day  Sixers would be better if he was still around.

« Reply #91 on: October 22, 2018, 05:48:28 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

They should be panicking Fultz is looking more and more like a blown pick.  All that tanking and all those picks, you're bound to miss on one of them.   Of course, with Fultz the signs were there his only college year when he vanished for half the year, and could not play his team,which good college players can, into the NCAA March Madness.  They drank the Kool-aid and got on the hype train.   People did here, too, it happens, no one is right all the time.

I don't root for Philly in any way, nor do I want them to right the ship.   I recall them ganging on up on Bird.  While, I really respected those Philly teams, I do not respect the new team.  Embiid and Simmons are crybabies, and hard for an old school like me to like.

Having picks this high for 5 consecutive years is astonishing. If Fultz ends up being a huge whiff, Philly should be embarrassed by what they have to show their tanking.  Yes they have a franchise cornerstone in Embiid and a future all star in Simmons, but this team could have been a juggernaut for a decade

Noel is also arguably a bust, at minimum an underachievement, though he didn't start that way. But you're missing the Saric pick at #12 too, which they essentially made.

« Reply #92 on: October 22, 2018, 05:56:53 PM »

Online greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585

Noel is also arguably a bust, at minimum an underachievement, though he didn't start that way. But you're missing the Saric pick at #12 too, which they essentially made.

i wasnt trying to do a complete list.  Botching a #12 pick isnt much to write home about, but having 4 consecutive years of top 3 picks, with two of them being #1 picks and you only have a 50% win rate.  thats pretty alarming.  especially considering they gave away a potential 5th high lottery pick to select Fultz
Greg

« Reply #93 on: October 22, 2018, 06:16:34 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527

Don’t forget about the colossal whiff that was ET in 2010, ahead of DeMarcus Cousins, Hayward & PG13

Although he’s not a great player, Turner is pretty good. I think that the present day  Sixers would be better if he was still around.

If C’s had drafted ET #2, it would be a disappointment IMO... it’s like taking Olynyk #2. Nice role player but

« Reply #94 on: October 22, 2018, 06:33:13 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961

If C’s had drafted ET #2, it would be a disappointment IMO... it’s like taking Olynyk #2. Nice role player but

didn't they draft some guard , i forget the name , he had like five amazing games , one of the best first games ever for a guard scored like 50 points , then their tanki g system destroyed his brain , he was traded and now i have not heard anything about him.  He was like one of the first high draft tank choices .  They fired the best coach , got rid of ET ....so many stupid things , no respect for fans , basically a joke of a club, joke for a GM   and maki g a farce of the draft system.   If Philly NEVER has a suscess again i ll be happy .....its a curse for cheating , untill the idots that own the team sell out to decent people.

« Reply #95 on: October 22, 2018, 07:08:59 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

didn't they draft some guard , i forget the name , he had like five amazing games , one of the best first games ever for a guard scored like 50 points , then their tanki g system destroyed his brain , he was traded and now i have not heard anything about him.  He was like one of the first high draft tank choices .  They fired the best coach , got rid of ET ....so many stupid things , no respect for fans , basically a joke of a club, joke for a GM   and maki g a farce of the draft system.   If Philly NEVER has a suscess again i ll be happy .....its a curse for cheating , untill the idots that own the team sell out to decent people.

I think you’re combining Michael Carter Williams (Sixer; won ROY) and Brandon Jennings (not a Sixer; had a 50 point game early his rookie season).

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #96 on: October 22, 2018, 08:06:19 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

I think you’re combining Michael Carter Williams (Sixer; won ROY) and Brandon Jennings (not a Sixer; had a 50 point game early his rookie season).
MCW is an interesting one. Philly played a system that really benefitted PG's, but its like he forgot how to play basketball after he left. He has a 2017-18 highlight reel of air balls and missed layups
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #97 on: October 22, 2018, 09:15:17 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
MCW is an interesting one. Philly played a system that really benefitted PG's, but its like he forgot how to play basketball after he left. He has a 2017-18 highlight reel of air balls and missed layups

I'm not surprised he nearly flamed out with his poor shooting in college. Bad luck with their LAL pick staying in top 3 several times though.

Unfortunately Fultz's shooting is even worse right now.

« Reply #98 on: October 22, 2018, 09:51:47 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

To be fair, Noel was not their own pick.  They traded Holiday for him, so they really only had picks that high for 4 years ending up with 3, 3, 1, 3 (remember they moved up for Fultz).  It isn't as rare as you might think landing top 5 picks for 4 straight years.  I mean the Cavs ended up with 4, 1, 4, 1 (they also landed Irving with a pick they acquired).  Minnesota had a stretch where they went 6, 7, 3, 5/6 (same draft), 4, 2.  How about this Chicago stretch starting with Brand and ending with Rose - 1, 4/7 (same draft), 2, 7, 3, 2, 9, 1.  The Kings haven't not had a top 10 pick since 2008 and have had 5 top 5 picks in that time.  The Lakers just came off of 3 consecutive picks at #2 and were at 7 the draft before that (and were 10 this past season though that went to Philly).  I mean even the Thunder who got every pick right went 2, 4, 3 in consecutive seasons (I get that is only 3 years, but again they got every pick right and got a MVP at their spot in 3 straight years, which has basically never happened before). 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #99 on: October 22, 2018, 11:06:48 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Fultz when all is said and done would be the Bowie to Jordan...

Not saying Tatum will be MJ but just the impact... Tatum will have atleast an all star appearance in the horizon.. Fultz is looking like he will have a career projection like that of Livingston... But I don't think Fultz is in the league of Kwame Brown or Bennett who are probably the ultimate number one busts in history.
Oh I think Fultz could definitely be on the level of bust of Kwame Brown or Anthony Bennett. One year later after a season of the yips, he still looks horrible.

Look who else Philly could have grabbed

Tatum
Ball
Mitchell
Markennan
Kuzma
Smith, Jr.
Jackson
Fox

There will be a lot of excellent players from that draft the Sixers could have taken but instead they took a guy who could be out of the league in 4 years. 
Mitchell was the #13 pick and Kuzma was #27.  No one was taking them at #1 or #3.  Markkanen wasn't going that high either and doesn't fit with the Sixers.  Ball is really redundant and a lesser version of Simmons.  Jackson and Smith Jr haven't done much to merit being on the list.  I really like Fox but his fit with Simmons is questionable too. 

The problem wasn't drafting Fultz.  The problem was trading another top 1st rounder to do so.  There's a good chance Fultz would have been available at #3 anyway. 

« Reply #100 on: October 22, 2018, 11:09:42 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

No they wouldn't.  They would have had to give Turner a really bad contract to keep him.  People ignore that Indiana didn't keep Turner either.  We only took him because he was cheap.