Author Topic: What's the Last Movie You Watched?  (Read 957684 times)

Re: What's the Last Movie You Watched?
« Reply #3120 on: March 23, 2020, 08:50:30 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
As crazy as it sounds, while I've watched most of the Marvel movies, I haven't watched the Thor ones. Every time I've tried to, something comes up, or I fall asleep before I can start watching on my phone at night (lol). Might watch the first one tonight though. There's certainly time for it now.

Recently watched Monsters University & Despicable Me 2 with my little sister + a toddler we were babysitting briefly

Watched Thor (2011) last night. I liked it, though I felt like the middle of the plot felt really rushed. Like everything just happened so fast without much "plot development" in the middle. But still a great movie.

Going to watch Thor: The Dark World tonight

The one advantage of working from home is that you can sleep in a little haha
Thor: Ragnarok is a really fun change of pace, considering how serious the other ones can be. Also, Jeff Goldblum
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #3121 on: March 23, 2020, 08:52:34 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Been watching The Last Kingdom on Netflix. Very entertaining.

It's one of those "inspired by actual events" type of tales about a fictional character Uhtred, who helped the very non-fictional character, King Alfred the Great of Wessex, overcome the invading Danish Vikings.

No great acting. But the story is compelling and there are lots of good action/fight/battle scenes. And Uhtred is a very likable character. So overall, good stuff.

This is an awesome series. I read Bernard Cornwell’s books years ago and was pleased to find out there was a series. Glad it was renewed for a 4th season. Destiny is all!
I read it was based on Cornwell's books. I think I might have to go read them. Just finished the third season so I'm excited the 4th season is right around the corner.

Also can't wait for the new season Ozark that starts...next week??? I think.

« Reply #3122 on: March 23, 2020, 08:57:07 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
As crazy as it sounds, while I've watched most of the Marvel movies, I haven't watched the Thor ones. Every time I've tried to, something comes up, or I fall asleep before I can start watching on my phone at night (lol). Might watch the first one tonight though. There's certainly time for it now.

Recently watched Monsters University & Despicable Me 2 with my little sister + a toddler we were babysitting briefly

Watched Thor (2011) last night. I liked it, though I felt like the middle of the plot felt really rushed. Like everything just happened so fast without much "plot development" in the middle. But still a great movie.

Thor: Ragnarok is a really fun change of pace, considering how serious the other ones can be. Also, Jeff Goldblum
The use of Led Zeppelin's Immigrant Song during his fight scene was inspired. Maybe one of the best uses of a song to enhance what is happening in an action scene ever.

« Reply #3123 on: March 23, 2020, 10:27:29 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

The use of Led Zeppelin's Immigrant Song during his fight scene was inspired. Maybe one of the best uses of a song to enhance what is happening in an action scene ever.
agreed.  had to be the best use of song to get a viewer pumped for an action scene.

speaking of action, just watched Alita: Battle Angel.  I enjoyed it.  the mix of CGI and human actors was fantastic. 

« Reply #3124 on: March 24, 2020, 09:44:52 AM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87

Hammer of the Gods, baby. Hammer of the Gods.

« Reply #3125 on: March 25, 2020, 11:06:04 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
just finished Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.  can see why it got rave reviews.  the ending brought a real smile to my face.

« Reply #3126 on: March 26, 2020, 10:40:47 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

I'm reading Hammer of the Gods right now. 

« Reply #3127 on: March 26, 2020, 06:42:34 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862

You are probably aware, but just in case:  Please take everything in that book with a huge grain of salt.  All three of Plant, Page & Jones insist it's garbage fiction and there is good reason to distrust a lot of what is in it given the books' primary source (a former disgruntled employee).

I remember reading it ages ago, back in college.  Only later did I find out that it may not be all that credible.

I still love LZ.   I was a drummer in my youth and Bonham was a god to me.  I still feel like he was the greatest drummer in like, ever.  His ability to layer in even & odd beat mixed tempos was meta-human.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #3128 on: March 26, 2020, 07:16:21 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2953
  • On To Banner 18!

You were right. Loved Ragnarok. Honestly, Dark World felt a bit "meh" IMO. And what was the purpose of Jane Foster in this? She wasn't even in the 3rd movie lol, and somewhere in between they just parted ways (broke up)?
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #3129 on: March 26, 2020, 07:28:41 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

You were right. Loved Ragnarok. Honestly, Dark World felt a bit "meh" IMO. And what was the purpose of Jane Foster in this? She wasn't even in the 3rd movie lol, and somewhere in between they just parted ways (broke up)?
Rumor has it Natalie Portman has been signed for more movies and will take on the role of Lady Thor in the next movie where Lady Thor wields Mjolnir and Thor will have Stormbreaker.

« Reply #3130 on: March 26, 2020, 07:32:24 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
So I am a big fan of the book American Gods by Neil Gaiman and have the opportunity to watch the series on Starz this weekend.

Has anyone seen it? Is it worth watching.

« Reply #3131 on: March 26, 2020, 07:34:24 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
So I am a big fan of the book American Gods by Neil Gaiman and have the opportunity to watch the series on Starz this weekend.

I started it and couldn’t get into it, but I wasn’t familiar with the source material.  It’s definitely got a lot of talent in the cast.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3132 on: March 26, 2020, 08:02:36 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

I started it and couldn’t get into it, but I wasn’t familiar with the source material.  It’s definitely got a lot of talent in the cast.
Yeah, even in the book at first getting used to who the gods are took a bit. When reading it I actually did a quick Google on some of the "older" gods to get a better handle on things. Once I figured that out, man, it was some of the best, most original sci-fi/fantasy I have ever read. Very deserving of the Hugo and Nebula Awards it won.

Guess I will just watch and see how it goes.

« Reply #3133 on: March 26, 2020, 08:12:57 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2953
  • On To Banner 18!

Rumor has it Natalie Portman has been signed for more movies and will take on the role of Lady Thor in the next movie where Lady Thor wields Mjolnir and Thor will have Stormbreaker.

Oh okay. That makes sense.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #3134 on: March 26, 2020, 08:34:05 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

You are probably aware, but just in case:  Please take everything in that book with a huge grain of salt.  All three of Plant, Page & Jones insist it's garbage fiction and there is good reason to distrust a lot of what is in it given the books' primary source (a former disgruntled employee).

I remember reading it ages ago, back in college.  Only later did I find out that it may not be all that credible.

I still love LZ.   I was a drummer in my youth and Bonham was a god to me.  I still feel like he was the greatest drummer in like, ever.  His ability to layer in even & odd beat mixed tempos was meta-human.
Yes, I've heard that some things were exaggerated but probably not by the author.  He's legit.  He was a writer for Rolling Stone and has written biographies/autobiographies on quite a few artists like Aerosmith, Guns N Roses, Fleetwood Mac, Jim Morrison, Michael Jackson.  I read this book many years ago also but wanted a refresher.