Author Topic: Ten Thoughts From Game 1  (Read 21517 times)

Ten Thoughts From Game 1
« on: October 16, 2018, 10:42:40 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
1.  They didn’t play anywhere near their potential and won by almost 20.
2.  Rozier has gone to the next level.  Just so explosive.
3.  Kyrie had perhaps his worst game ever.  Not worried at all.
4.  Al is perfectly happy to not shoot.  Played great defense.  Should be considered for defensive player of the year.
5.  Tatum will be a star.  Duh.
6.  Stevens is going to have to really coach to keep everybody happy.
7.  On that note, someone HAS got to get lost in all this.  Could it be Brown?  I posted last week that he would be the one I would trade out and I might have been right.
8.  Morris is a fool.  He could play with 10 all stars and still squeeze off ten shots a game.  Looks great when they’re going in though.
9.  Hayward looked fine.  He’ll be lethal in a month or so.
10.  This team is good.

Re: Ten Thoughts From Game 1
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2018, 10:50:01 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Agree with all your points, especially #7. I know people love him but I've never been quite sold on him as a star. The guy is so smart off the floor but his BBIQ just isn't there. I'm perfectly okay putting him in a trade package.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2018, 10:52:07 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Right back where we left off last year for the 76ers. They couldn't beat the Celtics' B-Team, and now they got their A-team back and the 76ers look demoralized.

Once Kyrie and Hayward get their grooves back. Watch out.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2018, 10:53:52 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
I disagree with point #10.

This team is extremely dangerous in a good way.

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2018, 10:58:51 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Disagree with 7. Brown didn't finish well tonight but with his usual finishing, he probably puts up 20 tonight. Brown will be a two way star. He has to stay and be used properly.

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2018, 10:58:59 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
Yeah. The weapons on this squad are really unbelievable. Just unbelievable. 

Tatum is a heck of a player. But really, still young in feel for the pace of the game. He is special for sure, but add a couple of years of veteran experience, and whoa.

Somehow, Jalen Brown won't get the spotlight that he would likely have without JT around. Rozier's flash and tendency to draw attention by virtue of being a PG seem to be casting a shadow as well.  Still, he is another guy to pay at some point.

And Philly is not in the top 4 in the east.  They're just not.

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2018, 11:12:30 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
Simmons getting superstar calls. Embiid got horribly abused on the first game of the season.

:o

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2018, 11:12:53 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
Most teams when they get into the second unit have a slight let down in play. As we saw tonight with the 76ers.

This Celtic team is so deep there is no letdown. They have the ability to keep throwing fresh talented bodies at you for an entire game. In fact, the defense of the second unit may be better than the first.

That allows a player of the caliber of Kyrie Irving to have an off game and the team just gets baskets elsewhere.

When Hayward returns to himself, and this team really starts to really gel, the only thing that will stop them is overconfidence.

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2018, 11:17:09 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
Disagree with 7. Brown didn't finish well tonight but with his usual finishing, he probably puts up 20 tonight. Brown will be a two way star. He has to stay and be used properly.
But you’re only half addressing the point.  I think someone is going to get lost amid all these A players.  I happen to think that guy will be Brown.

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2018, 11:24:11 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
But you’re only half addressing the point.  I think someone is going to get lost amid all these A players.  I happen to think that guy will be Brown.
I think they will all find their role and on different nights, the leading scorer and star will be different and on many, many nights that star is Brown.

Brown missed several lay ups/offensive rebounds/makeable shots. He could easily have gone for 20+ tonight and if he did I am sure you aren't calling to trade him.

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2018, 11:25:53 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 324
1) Great to start the season with a win.
2) Great to see Hayward survive past the 5-minute mark.
3) 14 turnovers is way too many.
4) These guys still struggle to shoot well, even with a full complement of players.
5) Hopefully 3 and 4 get ironed out.
6) I couldn't care less if Ben Simmons averages a triple-double this season, or every season for the rest of his career. Westbrook did it last year and his team didn't even sniff the conference finals. Keep padding stats, Simmons, and Boston will keep going for NBA titles.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2018, 11:28:06 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
I was very impressed with Horford's defense.

I would prefer Hayward be the sixth man, because I think the second unit needs the shooting.

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2018, 11:28:46 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
I think they will all find their role and on different nights, the leading scorer and star will be different and on many, many nights that star is Brown.

Brown missed several lay ups/offensive rebounds/makeable shots. He could easily have gone for 20+ tonight and if he did I am sure you aren't calling to trade him.
I’m not seeing those makeable misses.  As I recall, he was swallowed up inside several times and he’s never really been known for his touch around the rim anyway.

As far as calling to trade him, that’s not really the premise of my thread last week.  I more was pointing to a guy that might be replaced by another guy to make us better (theoretically).  For instance, I think the Celtics would be better right now with someone like reddick versus brown.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 11:34:28 PM by droopdog7 »

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2018, 11:31:53 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150

I’m not those makeable misses.  As I recall, he was swallowed up inside several times and he’s never really been known for his touch around the rim anyway.

As far as calling to trade him, that’s not really the premise of my thread last week.  I more was pointing to a guy that might be replaced by another guy to make us better (theoretically).  For instance, I think the Celtics would be better right now with someone like reddick versus brown.

Reddick over Brown? Really? Reddick is 34, Brown is 21

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2018, 11:35:16 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas

I’m not those makeable misses.  As I recall, he was swallowed up inside several times and he’s never really been known for his touch around the rim anyway.

Reddick over Brown? Really? Reddick is 34, Brown is 21
Thats not the point.  I think reddick would be a better fit in this team and make us better right now.