Author Topic: Bogut Has Strong Interest in Joining C's (Update: Chooses Cavs)  (Read 31637 times)

Re: Bogut Has Strong Interest in Joining C's (Update: Chooses Cavs)
« Reply #150 on: February 28, 2017, 09:12:52 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
I guess since it's a given we aren't getting banner 18 then why should we even consider adding anyone? We should just cultivate our guys like Jackson & Mickey & Young. There is no reason to even try to rebound or win games. We should just tell all the fans that we have a boatload of assets and one day yes one day - you wait and see!

I think that we are going to have real trouble in round 1. Whoever we play will do the same type of defense on IT that Atlanta played and someone else will need to step up to fill the void. Problem is there is nobody that is reliable. The closest may be Smart because he is a winner or the rookie is stepping up big of late or maybe AB if he stays healthy. I think we squeak by a 1st round opponent in 7 games against a team like Indiana or Detroit. We probably lose in 7 games to Miami because they have a rim protector and rebounder.

There is no way we can beat anyone in the 2nd round unless the opponent has some major injuries. I love this team and will watch every game until it's over but I see it going nowhere. Evidently the ownership/management doesn't feel we can go all the way so there is no need to add any players or lose any of our assets. Waiting for ping pong balls to determine our fate.

« Reply #151 on: February 28, 2017, 09:12:54 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1410
  • Let's Go Celtics!
We don't want him anyway since he just showed he has no competition left in him to sign and warm the bench for the Cavs, same as KD
You can't win a ring with that kind of soft mentality in your team

People criticize players for not prioritizing winning (ie Carmelo Anthony) and then criticize the ones that do.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #152 on: February 28, 2017, 09:14:53 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Another failure by Danny. Not surprised with the Bogut decision, but to not even upgrade our current team's huge holes is just a gigantic failure. Not signing Jones is the cherry on top of this entire trade deadline fiasco, especially when he might legitimately be the second best big on the team behind Horford.

Keep on "liking our guys" and hoarding our lesser assets, Danny, because I'm sure they'll bring us banner 18.
How the hell can Ainge be blamed when free agents decide to sign elsewhere. What is he supposed to do, hold a gun to their head and force them to sign with the Celtics? Because if so he didn't blow it by not signing Bogut and/or Jones. He blew it by not signing Durant in the offseason. He shouldn't have taken Brady, IT, Smart and Olynyk to that meeting. He should have taken Luca Brasi.

By the way, the whole "liking our guts" thing is just what you say afterwards when you can't get things done that would have enhanced the team. Pay little attention to it. Its nothing but PR.

It's his job to close deals. He didn't close this deal, period. And, as a result of his failure, the team has a gapping need that has yet to be addressed. Thus I feel perfectly comfortable criticizing him for not adding to the roster.
If a player decides to go somewhere else, there is no deal to close. It really is as simple as that. Try selling something to someone that has already made the decision to buy something somewhere else. Its darn near impossible. Ainge tried to sign them they signed elsewhere. End of story.

He entertained Ainge's pitch, so presumably he was persuadable, and open to the C's overtures. He was open to buying what Ainge was selling--otherwise why take the meeting? Ainge wasn't able to close the deal. End of story.
Bad assumptions and unreasonable expectations on your part.

If I was Bogut and had a chance to play 10-15 minutes for a team that might have trouble getting out of the first round of the playoffs or a chance to play 10-15 minutes a game for the champions who are favorites to meet the team who jettisoned me, for the title, I would choose Cleveland every time.

Yeah, I would do my due diligence and listen to other offers because that's what smart business people do, but my mind would have already been made...and apparently so was Bogut's.

« Reply #153 on: February 28, 2017, 09:15:35 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
it's okay---we didn't want to kill the great chemistry of this squad...Jordan Mickey and D.Jackson carry a lot of weight in that locker room....LAUGHABLE.

Side Note: L.James is WEAK AS **** for always getting anyone he wants.
how?

What do you mean HOW--?...every year this crybaby gets EVERYTHING he wants---EVERY year.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #154 on: February 28, 2017, 09:22:25 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2707
Well since the Cavs got Bogut now and Derron Williams, I assume they are no longer considering Larry Sanders. The Celtics should revisit the idea of signing him now that they missed out on both the trade deadline and buyout options.

« Reply #155 on: February 28, 2017, 09:24:45 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
I just joined the thread and learned bogus did not pick the Celtics.

Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline. him, twice.  >:(
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #156 on: February 28, 2017, 09:28:33 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Godspeed to you, Bogut!
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #157 on: February 28, 2017, 09:28:51 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2934
Another failure by Danny. Not surprised with the Bogut decision, but to not even upgrade our current team's huge holes is just a gigantic failure. Not signing Jones is the cherry on top of this entire trade deadline fiasco, especially when he might legitimately be the second best big on the team behind Horford.

Keep on "liking our guys" and hoarding our lesser assets, Danny, because I'm sure they'll bring us banner 18.
How the hell can Ainge be blamed when free agents decide to sign elsewhere. What is he supposed to do, hold a gun to their head and force them to sign with the Celtics? Because if so he didn't blow it by not signing Bogut and/or Jones. He blew it by not signing Durant in the offseason. He shouldn't have taken Brady, IT, Smart and Olynyk to that meeting. He should have taken Luca Brasi.

By the way, the whole "liking our guts" thing is just what you say afterwards when you can't get things done that would have enhanced the team. Pay little attention to it. Its nothing but PR.

It's his job to close deals. He didn't close this deal, period. And, as a result of his failure, the team has a gapping need that has yet to be addressed. Thus I feel perfectly comfortable criticizing him for not adding to the roster.
If a player decides to go somewhere else, there is no deal to close. It really is as simple as that. Try selling something to someone that has already made the decision to buy something somewhere else. Its darn near impossible. Ainge tried to sign them they signed elsewhere. End of story.

Perhaps you should read my post again.

I said I wasn't surprised by Bogut's decision, and I totally don't blame him whatsoever for choosing Cleveland over Boston.

But that doesn't excuse his failings with Jones, who he simply didn't want to ruin "chemistry" over. That's BS. To me, Jones would clearly be our second best big on the team, and he would work really well with pretty much all of our other bigs due to his versatility. He's the exact type of player that you take a chance on, especially since there are no character concerns or anything with him.

After being too stingy to get people like Ibaka and Tucker and Noel and not doing a [dang] thing to upgrade our significant holes, he's definitely failed the team by once again not improving the team by not considering Jones. He's completely failed at this deadline, and even the Danny apologists can't argue that fact.

EDIT: The fact that we have so many assets, both more significant ones and lesser ones that are much more expendable, and Danny was still unable to upgrade any of our significant holes with all of the opportunities out there, to me that's unequivocally a major failure on Danny's part.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 09:36:33 PM by jpotter33 »

« Reply #158 on: February 28, 2017, 09:34:29 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
Well since the Cavs got Bogut now and Derron Williams, I assume they are no longer considering Larry Sanders. The Celtics should revisit the idea of signing him now that they missed out on both the trade deadline and buyout options.
Gotta let go of the Sanders idea. He has wirjout out for as much as 8 teams, including the Celtics. They all determined he is worse than the last players on their benches and not signed him. There has to be a reason for that and its not too difficult to figure out what that reason is. He just isn't good enough to sign. Whether thats due to his conditioning or loss of athleticism or loss of game or the fact thst GMs feel he still doesn't prioritize basketball doesn't matter. He just hasn't proven to anyone that he is good enough at this point to be better than even an end of the bench player.

« Reply #159 on: February 28, 2017, 09:41:05 PM »

Offline Trifecta

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 43
  • #18 at any cost.
I guess since it's a given we aren't getting banner 18 then why should we even consider adding anyone? We should just cultivate our guys like Jackson & Mickey & Young. There is no reason to even try to rebound or win games. We should just tell all the fans that we have a boatload of assets and one day yes one day - you wait and see!

I think that we are going to have real trouble in round 1. Whoever we play will do the same type of defense on IT that Atlanta played and someone else will need to step up to fill the void. Problem is there is nobody that is reliable. The closest may be Smart because he is a winner or the rookie is stepping up big of late or maybe AB if he stays healthy. I think we squeak by a 1st round opponent in 7 games against a team like Indiana or Detroit. We probably lose in 7 games to Miami because they have a rim protector and rebounder.

There is no way we can beat anyone in the 2nd round unless the opponent has some major injuries. I love this team and will watch every game until it's over but I see it going nowhere. Evidently the ownership/management doesn't feel we can go all the way so there is no need to add any players or lose any of our assets. Waiting for ping pong balls to determine our fate.

I would be very surprised if we made it out of the first round. Just my opinion. I hope I'm wrong.
KO and Zeller, aka Hopeless and Helpless aka the Twin Towers of Futility.

« Reply #160 on: February 28, 2017, 09:45:40 PM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88

I would be very surprised if we made it out of the first round. Just my opinion. I hope I'm wrong.
Which is totally fine, let the young guys learn experiences and next year is our turn

« Reply #161 on: February 28, 2017, 09:50:53 PM »

Offline TomHeinsohn

• NCE
  • Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 33
Veteran players that have been in the league for a while and made good money should be "appraised" in the event they are bought out or waived. They should then not be permitted to sign for significantly less than their appraised value to just chase a ring.

Re: Bogut Has Strong Interest in Joining C's
« Reply #162 on: February 28, 2017, 09:53:04 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
The NBA needs to do something to address this absurdity of ring chasing that we see every year that

Remember, plenty of aging vets ring chased with us in the Big 3 era. If players can clear waivers, they can sign where they want (with some exceptions).

Well define plenty... I remember PJ Brown was a big one. I remember marbury another year. I think we got an ineffective Troy Murphy another year. Did we ever get 2 in the same year (while get a third, Korver, in a salary dump)? This does seem a bit much. Not to mention their salary cap is way higher than the Celtics ever was right?

The quality has definitely gone up.

We got a lot of guys, many on their last legs. Sam Cassell, Mikki Moore, Michael Finley, Carlos Arroyo, and Sasha Pavlovic in addition to the guys you mentioned.

Of that list I would say that Korver, D Will, and Bogut are probably playing at a higher level than all of them and it isn't close.  I know that Cassell gave us some good minutes / games that year, but the rest of that list did really nothing.

Yeah the rest of the list is really irrelevant players. I do think there is less competitive spirit In the league right now among players and it makes me less into the NBA

« Reply #163 on: February 28, 2017, 10:08:44 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
Veteran players that have been in the league for a while and made good money should be "appraised" in the event they are bought out or waived. They should then not be permitted to sign for significantly less than their appraised value to just chase a ring.
Its a free market. The players got bought out or waived so they have been paid their money already. Why shouldn't they be able to decide to take a pro-rated minimum contract to play wherever they want? They are free agents. They can do and go wherever they please. The Celtics have benefitted from this in the past and probably will again in the future. I don't see an issue.

« Reply #164 on: February 28, 2017, 10:09:52 PM »

Offline Trifecta

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 43
  • #18 at any cost.

Which is totally fine, let the young guys learn experiences and next year is our turn

Is the goal not to improve though? As a fan, it bothers me that we're not looking to at least make progress.
KO and Zeller, aka Hopeless and Helpless aka the Twin Towers of Futility.