Author Topic: I got rid of Facebook. When will you?  (Read 33407 times)

Re: I got rid of Facebook. When will you?
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2011, 07:09:13 AM »

Kiorrik

I'm in my last year of college right now. I remember when Facebook was still developing, not many people new about it, and Myspace was the craze. I was probably a junior or senior in high school then. The point of that little story is that I missed the Myspace craze, too.

I have a few friends. (people I see on a regular basis, talk to, and get together with.) That's it. Just a few. I used to have a lot more friends back when I was in high school, but I have no desire to stay in touch with them through the internet, unfortunately.

I know a lot of my former friends from high school have about 100 to 200 friends on their Facebook, and they are all former high school "friends." I just have no desire to see what Joe Schmo is up five years after high school, honestly.

Perhaps Facebook is a good tool for those who have twenty close friends. But how many people have that many close friends? Most have two, three, or maybe even four. Or maybe Facebook is good for those who just like to lurk around and see what their old acquaintances are up to. That's fine. That sort of thing is not for me personally, but I can understand why some do it.

I'm just not very social anymore. But I feel that there are many people who are less social than me who are on Facebook. What do they do, make good with strangers or half acquaintances? It's unfortunate that I'm indifferent on Facebook because when I meet someone new they invariably say, "Are you on Facebook?"

On another note, this is an observation I've made: I find that at school (a four year university) women are much more open about talking about Facebook than men, yet aren't men and women equally on FB? It seems like men keep it as a guilty pleasure...   Has anyone observed this?
I believe women make up about 2/3rds of Facebook. That's the latest numbers I've seen anyway.

They also post more, and are more active.

Blame it on the housewives ;)

Also; the word "friend" on Facebook, to most people, doesn't mean the same as "friend" in real life.

It shouldn't.

It's more of a "contact".

« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2011, 08:43:28 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
I started a Facebook account a few months ago, only because most of my friends and family have it.  I've logged on once since I joined and I never respond to anyone who wants to be my friend.  It just doesn't interest me at all.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2011, 08:47:24 AM »

Offline TradeProposalDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 56
I see that many of you are admitting to feelings that I similarly associated with my facebook. It is a silly networking tool. It seems rather benign to the uninformed citizen that facebook allows one to connect with old and current acquaintances and be able to keep up with eachothers lives. But sadly, the people, whom you may very well care two hoots about, who incessantly keep creating statuses and posting garbage that successfully adulterate your mind, are those you actually grow dismay for, rather than its so-called intended purpose.

In the grander scheme of things, facebook is no different from video games, internet games, or those other "virtual" realities that share the common quality of being addictive. The people who create these virtual realities want you, the user, to become hooked. They want all their users to become hooked, so that they rake in the most amounts of money. Do they really care if your mind is being affected by your use?

Well, I just have my perspective. But having talked to close people I know about facebook, they share my concerns. To address KungPoweChicken's post - I am not aware of the reasons behind women using facebook more than men. If I had to attempt to explain the phenomenon, my guess would be that women enjoy the chance of catching up with old friends more and "shooting the ****". Especially housewives who have nothing better to do. I was connected to a few during my time on that site for what it's worth.

« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2011, 09:46:31 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I can't stand the useless updates about baking cookies, Johnny is home from college and other irrelevant topics.  It gives people a way to be "famous" even if their lives are boring.

« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2011, 09:55:57 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
One of my good friends became addicted to social networking sites.  She was going through a divorce, and needed a connection, I guess.  Unfortunately, it led to her neglecting her kids, as she'd be online as close to 24-7 as possible.  That, and a number of other bad decisions over a period of time, led to us not being friends any more.

I don't know if Facebook is uniquely addictive -- millions of people have no issue with it -- but for some people, it's definitely going to be a problem. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2011, 09:57:49 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
I can't stand the useless updates about baking cookies, Johnny is home from college and other irrelevant topics.  It gives people a way to be "famous" even if their lives are boring.

I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with facebook.  I signed up but don't use it because to me it's just a jumbled mess, but that's my problem and my dislike of sitting still in front of a computer for too long.  Not a problem with facebook.

Regarding people wanting to be "famous", I'll recommend an excellent book on media, society, culture, etc...called "Mediated" by Thomas de Zengotita, maybe two t's at end I don't know.  A very good book about new media and its effects on people and society.

« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2011, 09:59:36 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
To quote:  "It is what it is."  or "It is what you make of it."

I've enjoyed reconnecting with friends from college, high school etc...I don't really understanding the need for peripheral acquaintances to be my "friend" but most of them are local people.  I can see where it could be really harsh for teens and college kids, but I honestly give less of a crap about what other people think about me at this stage in my life.  I YAM WHAT I YAM.

I can see the addictive side of it, and have gotten sucked in at times, but I also can quite easily walk away (for an hour or so  ;D  )

I've had more struggles with CelticsBlog in the past to tell you the truth. Here we start out pretty anonymous, but create our personas by what we choose to contribute.  Then that persona begins to define you within the circle.  I find that a little stranger in some ways.  Being a faceless contributor, but with an easily identifiable personality and history.

Yup

« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2011, 10:16:55 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I love the stupid little time killing games.  Play a ton of them, as does my wife.  Gives us another thing to share together.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2011, 10:37:07 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
To quote:  "It is what it is."  or "It is what you make of it."

I've enjoyed reconnecting with friends from college, high school etc...I don't really understanding the need for peripheral acquaintances to be my "friend" but most of them are local people.  I can see where it could be really harsh for teens and college kids, but I honestly give less of a crap about what other people think about me at this stage in my life.  I YAM WHAT I YAM.

I can see the addictive side of it, and have gotten sucked in at times, but I also can quite easily walk away (for an hour or so  ;D  )

I've had more struggles with CelticsBlog in the past to tell you the truth. Here we start out pretty anonymous, but create our personas by what we choose to contribute.  Then that persona begins to define you within the circle.  I find that a little stranger in some ways.  Being a faceless contributor, but with an easily identifiable personality and history.

I think FB is a nice little way of catching up on people. We are having a a school reunion party (for the first time in I don't know how long) this summer and without FB we wouldn't be having one.

Plus, there are people here on the blog that I've befriended and it's been a pleasure to get a small glimpse of their everyday life, their happy stuff, their sad stuff, their funny stuff. Not just a screen name and an avatar. I've had mail exchanges (packages, too) with some of them. To answer the OP, yes, "it is what it is" or maybe "it is what you make of it", like Redz said.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 10:42:16 AM by ACF »

« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2011, 10:47:52 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
NEVER!!!!!!!!!!      8)

« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2011, 11:14:49 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
But does anyone else feel detested with the culture of facebook? How it has the power to eat away at your sanity because of people and comments that promote gossip and negativity rather than what they should be promoting? Anyone feel me on this?

In my experience the best solution to this is to turn 30.  That petty social drama crap dries up pretty fast when people have spouses and careers and children to worry about. 

I use Facebook basically to keep tabs on people, since none of my friends really call each other much.  Once in awhile I'll put something up about how I'm doing, or post a link I like or something.  Like a lot of things, it's all in how you use it.

« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2011, 11:21:27 AM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
Facebook is like drinking,both should are best when used in moderation."Do not drink and drive",it could be something to that with how Facebook is used.

« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2011, 11:24:42 AM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
Probably at some point.. I havent posted in it in over a year...

« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2011, 12:15:53 PM »

Offline Tai

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 32
Gotta be honest, I had pretty much stopped using facebook after my sophmore year in college for a year, maybe longer. As in, after not using it all that often in the first place; I just played the games on it and even tried to get high scores! : p

I had only come back to it this coming fall semester cause I was joining a fraternity and were adding people I actually met in person regularly.

I dunno, I guess I'm one of the people who "get" it?

« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2011, 12:49:23 PM »

Offline Rondo_is_better

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 495
  • R.I.P. Nate Dogg
Soon enough... it's kind of dumb.
Grab a few boards, keep the TO's under 14, close out on shooters and we'll win.