Author Topic: I got rid of Facebook. When will you?  (Read 33491 times)

Re: I got rid of Facebook. When will you?
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2011, 01:20:33 AM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
One of my best friends was just telling me tonight that he cancelled his account about a month ago. I didn't even notice but told him that was lame.

Fbook really is what you make of it. I go on it just enough where I find it interesting and sometimes informative. I also think it's fun being able to see what my "friends" are doing with their lives. So many people travelling the world, opening restaurants, writing news articles, it's just pretty interesting to me. It makes me stay connected slash keep in touch with some people that would be difficult otherwise.

Basically at the very least it's better than having to keep everyones email handy

« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2011, 01:37:42 AM »

Offline Witch-King

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 143
  • "Just do what you do best" - Red Auerbach
 :)
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 08:04:01 AM by Witch-King »
~W. King of Angmar/Dark Lord Sauron, "Sore-on", "Score-on", "Slore-on"/"W. King", "D. Lord" (Wins, Defense)/"W-itch King" (haha), All I do is win, and Cincy - TayoFromOhio 😄

« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2011, 02:24:06 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I really should get rid of facebook... It has really taken over my life and I cant stand it.

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2011, 02:27:30 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
I really should get rid of facebook... It has really taken over my life and I cant stand it.

Plus, there's really no point, now that you know you'll *never* get on Witch-King's friend list.

« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2011, 03:18:04 AM »

Kiorrik

After the Boston Celtics lost to the Los Angeles Lakers in the 2010 NBA Finals I de-friended all of my facebook friends and since then have continued to use facebook.com with zero friends after 'de-friending' almost 700 people. So far I have no regrets, though I might 'friend' Mark Zuckerberg (the inventor of facebook) and have one facebook friend until the next time the Celtics win an NBA championship  :P
Now that, is the 1 person in the world, who you can't "friend" :)

Kid you not!

« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2011, 03:20:11 AM »

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1796
  • The Dude Abides
After the Boston Celtics lost to the Los Angeles Lakers in the 2010 NBA Finals I de-friended all of my facebook friends and since then have continued to use facebook.com with zero friends after 'de-friending' almost 700 people. So far I have no regrets, though I might 'friend' Mark Zuckerberg (the inventor of facebook) and have one facebook friend until the next time the Celtics win an NBA championship  :P
Now that, is the 1 person in the world, who you can't "friend" :)

Kid you not!

Not until June-July atleast. :P
"An ounce of practice is worth more than tons of preaching." - M.K. Gandhi

« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2011, 03:58:01 AM »

Offline CELTICSNUM1

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 7
I have never had facebook and never will. My wife has facebook and I just don't see what the big deal is. I know a lot of people love facebook, and I respect that, it's just not something I would ever be interested in.

« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2011, 04:24:54 AM »

Offline Tnerb02

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 18
Facebook is just another way for your family to keep track of you, just like cell phones. That's why I don't have Facebook or a cell phone.

« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2011, 05:10:02 AM »

Offline kenmaine

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 25
  • Boston 104, New York 59
Must be a generational thing, although I have a couple of "friends" close to 60- actually old high school aqcuaint ances that I looked up and friended- who seem to post a dozen things/day.
Anyway, I joined about a year ago out of curiosity, and to look up a few people. And after about a year, I think I only have 9 friends and probably check the site once a week or so.
When I got a message that my ex-wife wanted me to buy some land or something on Farmville(whatever that is), I knew she'd gone off the deep end, lol!
One thing I don't get is why you need facebook to be a "friend" of a family member. What's wrong with the telephone or email? 
But overall, I think it's a great use of the internet and seems fairly harmless.

« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2011, 05:28:03 AM »

Kiorrik

One thing I don't get is why you need facebook to be a "friend" of a family member. What's wrong with the telephone or email? 
But overall, I think it's a great use of the internet and seems fairly harmless.
It's about as harmless as a newspaper; as long as you don't do anything silly, you won't end up getting hurt by it.

Sticks 'n stones, if you will.

« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2011, 05:47:15 AM »

Kiorrik

I keep being amazed by peoples opinions of online communities. Understanding the marketing goal behind it, and what drives it to its heights, kind of made me see them in a different light. It's now nothing more than a tool one might use for different purposes.

You can use it as:
- An instant messaging (chat) service
- A site where you can share photo's
- A place to be updated about events
- A way to find (and make) friends & acquaintances
- A gaming site (Farm ville is a great example indeed)
- A place to discuss any topic
- A way to associate yourself with certain groups

Or maybe just to pass time with any of the above.

As a designer/developer and marketing guy, it's awesome because we can;
- Approach users with promotions
- Get users to "share" us with their friends
- Find out what users want from us

I went from hating Facebook (and its likes) to appreciating it for what it is.

Not saying this is the view everyone should share, just pointing out how my opinion kind of did a 180 :)

« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2011, 06:24:20 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
I had it for a while, and between work, friends, family, friends of friends, friends of family, music contacts, dating, etc., there was absolutely NO way I could keep up with it, and when you can't keep up with it, people get offended.

Since then I was urged repeatedly by people here at CB to get it again, so I used my screen name, hoping that way it would just be people from here, and I could keep up. I was wrong, and I think I'll need to close it again. I completely see the value in it, and it's a great tool, but I honestly just don't have the time it requires, and I'm trying to become less social, not more.

I have also found that for purposes of the music industry, (at least for me), MySpace has become my preferred tool. For some reason MySpace is HUGE with people in the music and entertainment industry, and it has been priceless for me in that respect.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2011, 06:29:31 AM »

Kiorrik

I had it for a while, and between work, friends, family, friends of friends, friends of family, music contacts, dating, etc., there was absolutely NO way I could keep up with it, and when you can't keep up with it, people get offended.

Since then I was urged repeatedly by people here at CB to get it again, so I used my screen name, hoping that way it would just be people from here, and I could keep up. I was wrong, and I think I'll need to close it again. I completely see the value in it, and it's a great tool, but I honestly just don't have the time it requires, and I'm trying to become less social, not more.

I have also found that for purposes of the music industry, (at least for me), MySpace has become my preferred tool. For some reason MySpace is HUGE with people in the music and entertainment industry, and it has been priceless for me in that respect.
Make sure you make good use of Youtube too, and maybe create an artist account for Facebook, where you make sure to note that you will NOT be using it much due to time constraints.

I had the same situation as you, bud. People expect you to update every other day, or "as often as they do". I've always told people that I reply when I've got time. I don't even reply to chat. It works; as long as you set the rules, and make them see their error when they give you a tough time for not replying fast enough.

My_. Didn't think that would still be around by now, but yes, it's still there. Always found it slow and cumbrous.

« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2011, 06:39:20 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu

Make sure you make good use of Youtube too, and maybe create an artist account for Facebook, where you make sure to note that you will NOT be using it much due to time constraints.

I had the same situation as you, bud. People expect you to update every other day, or "as often as they do". I've always told people that I reply when I've got time. I don't even reply to chat. It works; as long as you set the rules, and make them see their error when they give you a tough time for not replying fast enough.

My_. Didn't think that would still be around by now, but yes, it's still there. Always found it slow and cumbrous.

Yeah ... the artist account thing sounds good, because most people in the music biz don't know my real name ... it's the same for many in the "Biz". MySpace is still around, and I get great exposure with it, but as I said, it's almost completely people in the entertainment industry, and not really a personal site anymore.

It's highly customizable, so that's the lure for the business ... it's very much not just about your music, (unfortunately), but also how it's presented.

I have made more important music production and performance contacts through MySpace, than through any other three sources combined, and I'd be lost without it, in that respect.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2011, 07:03:53 AM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 228
I'm in my last year of college right now. I remember when Facebook was still developing, not many people new about it, and Myspace was the craze. I was probably a junior or senior in high school then. The point of that little story is that I missed the Myspace craze, too.

I have a few friends. (people I see on a regular basis, talk to, and get together with.) That's it. Just a few. I used to have a lot more friends back when I was in high school, but I have no desire to stay in touch with them through the internet, unfortunately.

I know a lot of my former friends from high school have about 100 to 200 friends on their Facebook, and they are all former high school "friends." I just have no desire to see what Joe Schmo is up five years after high school, honestly.

Perhaps Facebook is a good tool for those who have twenty close friends. But how many people have that many close friends? Most have two, three, or maybe even four. Or maybe Facebook is good for those who just like to lurk around and see what their old acquaintances are up to. That's fine. That sort of thing is not for me personally, but I can understand why some do it.

I'm just not very social anymore. But I feel that there are many people who are less social than me who are on Facebook. What do they do, make good with strangers or half acquaintances? It's unfortunate that I'm indifferent on Facebook because when I meet someone new they invariably say, "Are you on Facebook?"

On another note, this is an observation I've made: I find that at school (a four year university) women are much more open about talking about Facebook than men, yet aren't men and women equally on FB? It seems like men keep it as a guilty pleasure...   Has anyone observed this?