Bucks for Bledsoe
0 (0%)
Spurs for Murray and filers
2 (40%)
Sixers for Simmons and a filler
2 (40%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Voting closed: May 25, 2019, 01:10:32 PM

Author Topic: If Kyrie wants to go to a team with no or little cap space:  (Read 1851 times)

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
What if Kyrie decides to surprise everyone in his typical fashion and decides he wants to go to a team with little cap space. The only options are:
 sign and trade - very unlikely
 Irving Picks his option and gets traded - (Chris Paul style )
What is the best option for the Celtics in that case?
I would go with Spurs . We pick up a young and disciplined point guard plus a veteran Mills for salary matching plus he’s got great shooting and leadership skills.
Note that from financial stand point Kyrie would almost net the same as if he went to the lakers or clippers at the max.
If he goes to Philly or Bucks they become unbeatable in the east.
If I were Kyries financial advisor I would tell him to go Houston or San Antonio for one year at $21M and then sign for the super max 5 years next summer. I would think this would better for him from financial stand point (than goingto the east coast or California) because of tax savings and future income he may miss if he signs a four year max contract.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 01:24:13 PM by NKY fan »

Re: If Kyrie wants to go to a team with no or little cap space:
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2019, 01:41:25 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I don't think Kyrie would want to play with James Harden. He wants TO BE James Harden. Not to play alongside. He wants everything to revolve around him on offense. To be able to do whatever he wants whenever he wants the way Harden is.

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2019, 01:48:31 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Sorry, but you aren't getting anything if Kyrie leaves.  Team doesn't get assets.  Team doesn't get cap space.  The only "positive" of Kyrie leaving is it shuts up the misguided fans who think we're better without him. 

Most likely we'd just keep Rozier and he'd be starting point guard.

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2019, 01:52:53 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Sorry, but you aren't getting anything if Kyrie leaves.  Team doesn't get assets.  Team doesn't get cap space.  The only "positive" of Kyrie leaving is it shuts up the misguided fans who think we're better without him. 

Most likely we'd just keep Rozier and he'd be starting point guard.

I would be very upset if that happens. At that point, I'm okay with running with Smart at PG.

I liked Rozier, I thank him for his awesome playoff scoring last year. But his attitude, demeanor, and his immaturity clearly shows that he shouldn't be anywhere near the Celtics.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2019, 02:00:50 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
I don't think Kyrie would want to play with James Harden. He wants TO BE James Harden. Not to play alongside. He wants everything to revolve around him on offense. To be able to do whatever he wants whenever he wants the way Harden is.
I’m not sure Kyrie is not weird enough or capable of requesting a trade to the bucks. He knows he failed as a leader and in Milwaukee he can be the sidekick to giannis but above Middleton on the pecking order

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2019, 02:04:01 PM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!

According to Jackie Mac, that's the exact opposite of what he wants.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2019, 02:08:27 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell

Both Kyrie and harden are above average passers and way above average offensively... defense will be a problem but they can make it work with a few more defensive guys

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2019, 02:10:23 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

Both Kyrie and harden are above average passers and way above average offensively... defense will be a problem but they can make it work with a few more defensive guys

Sigh.... CP3/Harden I can understand, because CP3 isn't much of a scorer anymore. But really?
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2019, 02:13:32 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell

Sigh.... CP3/Harden I can understand, because CP3 isn't much of a scorer anymore. But really?
Could be fun to watch against the warriors next year especially if Durant is not with the warriors 🤷🏻‍♂️

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2019, 02:14:55 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
He doesn't.

Kyrie will play for one of these 5 teams next year and every single one of them can sign him this summer without the need for a trade.

Boston
New York
Brooklyn
Los Angeles
Los Angeles

Kyrie will be in one of those 5 jerseys next year.  No one else.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2019, 02:21:02 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
The only "positive" of Kyrie leaving is it shuts up the misguided fans who think we're better without him. 

Really?  I thought at least one positive would be that we wouldn't have to read his dumb faux-intellectual musings or his passive aggressive, "everybody's fault but mine" post-game comments.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2019, 02:25:47 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
The only "positive" of Kyrie leaving is it shuts up the misguided fans who think we're better without him. 

Really?  I thought at least one positive would be that we wouldn't have to read his dumb faux-intellectual musings or his passive aggressive, "everybody's fault but mine" post-game comments.
I’m not a disgruntled fan. I’m trying to be realistic in whether there is any chance of getting something for him since he’s checked out. I’m indifferent in whether he stays or no.

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2019, 02:50:06 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277

Not at all.

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2019, 04:14:08 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Not at all.

So you're saying we will somehow have to live with that being a part of the Celtics experience even if Kyrie goes to another team?

That's a bleak outlook.   ;D
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2019, 04:14:45 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
If he doesn't sign in Boston, I don't really care where he signs or if we get any actual players/picks in return for him. What I do want - and I don't understand why more teams signing big FAs away from other teams don't do this as a good will gesture - is a humongous TPE. This would allow us to take on a big contract from any team looking to shed salary without having to match that salary.