Author Topic: Smart leading Grizz to 0 and 4 start  (Read 8218 times)

Re: Smart leading Grizz to 0 and 4 start
« Reply #45 on: November 03, 2023, 06:58:36 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 991
I don't really get the Smart hate tbh. He's not the issue with MEM, that team has a lot of other issues. Morant is also proving to be a world class moron, and then you have Adams needing season-ending surgery right before the season begins. That roster isn't exactly built well currently.

I actually wonder if Smart could get traded again especially if MEM remains terrible.

Except without Adams and Morant last year, and with Jones as their PG, they were a lot better.

Again, not Smart hate. Just Smart relief.

Sure, but they also had small forward Marcus Smart in Dillon Brooks.  Because that’s who Smart is actually supposed replace in terms of role, not Morant or Jones.  They’ve also added Derrick Rose, who is awful at this point, and he sets minutes on fire.  Full strength Grizzlies will have Smart taking Brooks’ minutes next to Morant, and not Jones’ minutes behind Morant.  With Rose playing terribly, Smart is going to be asked to fill the Jones role than he otherwise would have, but they were looking for a better Brooks with Smart.

« Reply #46 on: November 03, 2023, 07:07:37 PM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 767
I don't really get the Smart hate tbh. He's not the issue with MEM, that team has a lot of other issues. Morant is also proving to be a world class moron, and then you have Adams needing season-ending surgery right before the season begins. That roster isn't exactly built well currently.

I actually wonder if Smart could get traded again especially if MEM remains terrible.

Except without Adams and Morant last year, and with Jones as their PG, they were a lot better.

Sure, but they also had small forward Marcus Smart in Dillon Brooks.  Because that’s who Smart is actually supposed replace in terms of role, not Morant or Jones.  They’ve also added Derrick Rose, who is awful at this point, and he sets minutes on fire.  Full strength Grizzlies will have Smart taking Brooks’ minutes next to Morant, and not Jones’ minutes behind Morant.  With Rose playing terribly, Smart is going to be asked to fill the Jones role than he otherwise would have, but they were looking for a better Brooks with Smart.

With the cost they paid for Smart, I think its fair to say that they thought he could fill both the Brooks and the Jones role. They literally traded Jones for Smart in the deal.

« Reply #47 on: November 03, 2023, 07:12:22 PM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 620

He's not the "issue" but Smart was not a good pickup for them. He's not a match for Memphis uptempto fastbreak style of basketball. Smart was bottom 5 guard in the transition last year. He's a turnover machine. Coach Nick did a great break down on how awful Smart is in transition.
ok fine

« Reply #48 on: November 03, 2023, 08:20:08 PM »

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1246
I think one of the main reasons they traded for Smart is to put Ja’s head in check. He’s supposed to be the veteran guy to guide Ja Morant. We know Smart’s game is bad when he tries to do too much. With all of Memphis’ injuries, he’s doing exactly that. I’d like to see how he meshes with Ja before making a decision if Memphis made a good trade or not.

« Reply #49 on: November 03, 2023, 08:23:18 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1459
I think one of the main reasons they traded for Smart is to put Ja’s head in check. He’s supposed to be the veteran guy to guide Ja Morant. We know Smart’s game is bad when he tries to do too much. With all of Memphis’ injuries, he’s doing exactly that. I’d like to see how he meshes with Ja before making a decision if Memphis made a good trade or not.

Should be interesting.. Which guy is going to play off-ball, Ja or Marcus?
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #50 on: November 03, 2023, 08:44:40 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 739
Why are you guys crapping on Marcus Smart? He's had a good start of the season.

I will crap on Smart any chance I can get.  It's well known I hated that pick and have not liked his game from the beginning.  We needed size in that draft and Randle was sitting right there for us.

Randle was still on the board and Danny drafted Marcus Smart ?  OMG.
Obviously, I did not follow that draft very closely, but that is unbelievable.
I do remember Danny saying that Red always liked "instigators" on a team and that Marcus fit that role.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #51 on: November 03, 2023, 09:04:24 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1008

I will crap on Smart any chance I can get.  It's well known I hated that pick and have not liked his game from the beginning.  We needed size in that draft and Randle was sitting right there for us.

I do remember Danny saying that Red always liked "instigators" on a team and that Marcus fit that role.

We could've also had Giannis over Kelly Olynyk too.... just imagine.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #52 on: November 03, 2023, 09:20:22 PM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1415
  • Let's Go Celtics!

With the cost they paid for Smart, I think its fair to say that they thought he could fill both the Brooks and the Jones role. They literally traded Jones for Smart in the deal.

I think they overrated Marcus' impact and what he could replace. That's not his fault though. They lost Tyus Jones/Dillion Brooks/Steven Adams/Brandon Clarke and Ja Morant is suspended. That team was going to struggle. They were silly to think one player could fix it.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #53 on: November 03, 2023, 11:01:58 PM »

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1246

Yes, that is interesting. I imagine Ja will still have the ball in his hands with Smart as the secondary ball handler.

« Reply #54 on: November 03, 2023, 11:04:53 PM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2975
Watching my first 1 minute of Smart playing now

Soon as he come in he turned the the ball over with a bad pass,

20 seconds latter he jacks up a long three BricK ..

I seen enough , to recognize that pain .

Wow…he ll have to do better to stick

« Reply #55 on: November 03, 2023, 11:13:32 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

That's interesting that you missed that.  Because I've complained about that on draft day and since then about a 100 times.

Just seemed like an absolute no brainer talent wise. Smart made it close early on, but eventually real talent shows. And Randle is the superior player.

« Reply #56 on: November 03, 2023, 11:14:40 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Ed Macauley

6pts/2ast/2rebs/3TO’s at the half. 3-9 from the field, 0-4 from 3pt. Yeah, I don’t miss that.
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #57 on: November 03, 2023, 11:17:52 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 557

Yes, that is interesting. I imagine Ja will still have the ball in his hands with Smart as the secondary ball handler.
Obviously so.  Morant isn't an off-ball player. 

« Reply #58 on: November 03, 2023, 11:31:38 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Ed Macauley

Obviously so.  Morant isn't an off-ball player.

Neither is Marcus Smart. That’s the point..

« Reply #59 on: November 03, 2023, 11:49:48 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am

6pts/2ast/2rebs/3TO’s at the half. 3-9 from the field, 0-4 from 3pt. Yeah, I don’t miss that.

It's really incredible that we got Porzingis for Smart and even draft compensation that helped us to obain Holiday. It's not incredible, it's crazy. That is some Stevens wizardry.