Will the 2019-2020 season resume?

Yes. Some Regular Season Games To Finish, Then Postseason
18 (18.4%)
Yes. With Postseason Beginning Right Away
22 (22.4%)
No. It's Going To Be Cancelled
58 (59.2%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Author Topic: Poll: Do You Think This Season Resumes?  (Read 20465 times)

Re: Poll: Do You Think This Season Resumes?
« Reply #90 on: March 24, 2020, 06:38:19 PM »

Offline chiken

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 15
I figured we were Toast When Rudy got it...  But when Smart got it (interacting with the outside world) I knew the season was toast...

The NBA needs outside help to play games Safely, like doctors... Imagine if something similar to what happened to Gordon Happens.. Then what?
Where do you take him? And how do you feel taking an overworked sleep-deprived doctor way from the pandemic to heal a millionaire ballplayer?

« Reply #91 on: March 24, 2020, 08:20:23 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
The best chance to finish the season is to play it out in a country that is allowing sporting events to occur without fans.  So fly to China, Japan, or South Korea, quarantine everyone for as long as the country makes you, have 10-14 days or so to start to get players back in shape once quarantine is over, and then play the games.

You probably can’t add any other players to your roster from free agency, because they’d have to pass through quarantine.  But you could maybe get that to work to some degree.  The NBA should really look to China for this if they want to repair that relationship.  They probably couldn’t restart the season until mid-May, and it would mean being away from families for months during a global pandemic, which introduces a new set of hardships.

But they can’t play here.  Say you tear your knee — hospitals aren’t fixing ACLs right now, and won’t for awhile. It’s not just logistics of getting and keeping players, referees, and team officials healthy.  There are a host of secondary issues related to player safety and longevity that are affected too.
just curious, but why fly them all the way across the pacific to not play in front of fans? that could be done in the US, no?

As long as there is community spread in the US, which seems likely for several months, there is no way to guarantee that you won’t have to suddenly quarantine half of the teams for weeks.  One positive test of anyone associated with the games and it all has to shut down.  And again, injuries requiring hospitalizations happen in basketball.  You simply can’t play any reasonable number of games without one being needed, be it a head injury, knee, etc.  It’s just not responsible to send an injured player into the US hospital system for the next few months if it could be otherwise avoided, both for the public and the player himself, who’s treatment could be delayed, potentially causing long-term impacts for the rest of his career.

They just can’t play here.

'Doubtful that China would let them play there, either.  Aside from probably not wanting to risk bringing in another incursion of COVID-19 from the disease-ridden USA, they are probably more than a little sore at the US over Trump's recent 'China Virus' crap and of course at the NBA over the Hong Kong situation a few months back.

I just don't see anything like this happening.

Stick a fork in it, folks.  It's done.

I don’t think my idea is going to happen — I’m just illustrating the great lengths that the NBA would need to go to in order to restart some semblance of the season.

That said, I think China would relish the opportunity to show the world that they’ve got the disease under control, and could start back up faster than Trump.  I also think they’d delight in propagandizing an official apology from the NBA.

« Reply #92 on: March 24, 2020, 08:50:35 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395

Does anyone think there is a point it just kind of becomes poor taste to be worrying about this? I feel like in Italy right now if someone was pushing hard for a way to get soccer games going it would not go over pretty well.

I get it, but we also can't spend all day just feeling awful about all the people who are sick and/or dying.

Everybody understands there are bigger issues right now.

At the same time, even in the best of circumstances millions of people around the world look to sports not just for entertainment but for joy, excitement, and a feeling of community / solidarity with their fellow humans.  We could REALLY use some of that right now and the nature of this crisis is such that we DEFINITELY CAN'T and it's not clear when we'll be able to enjoy sport of any kind again.

Totally valid for people to want to talk, complain, or scheme about that -- in my opinion.

To be clear, I am not talking about us on the forum. I think that is obviously perfectly reasonable as is anything else on this forum. I am more talking about someone like Silver doing a media circuit or talking about how bad the NBA wants to continue the season at all costs. I do think there is a point, and maybe we are there, where pushing on this from his end becomes a bit over the top when 100+ are dying every day in new york and the numbers are going up each day. I am also noticing a lot less of a push from Hockey and baseball...

« Reply #93 on: March 24, 2020, 09:30:46 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2958
  • On To Banner 18!
Woj said it on ESPN, but the NBA has discussed the idea of holding a Finals on September at the latest.

Honestly, this just tells me the chances of the season resuming are super slim, and that there's no chance it resumes at all before July. Even if things get better by April-May, I can't imagine they'll be in a rush to just allow gatherings of 1000+ people for a while.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #94 on: March 24, 2020, 09:43:39 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Prez says we'll be back in biz by Easter.   :-\

That should get the NBA up and running by Memorial Day.

(sorry...not a political thread, but a baseless, super rosy estimate on a return date seems to work for our fearless leader, so I thought I'd give it a go).
Yup

« Reply #95 on: March 25, 2020, 12:45:21 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Woj said it on ESPN,

but the NBA has discussed the idea of "forcing "a Finals on September at the latest

« Reply #96 on: March 25, 2020, 12:52:09 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith

Does anyone think there is a point it just kind of becomes poor taste to be worrying about this? I feel like in Italy right now if someone was pushing hard for a way to get soccer games going it would not go over pretty well.

I get it, but we also can't spend all day just feeling awful about all the people who are sick and/or dying.

At the same time, even in the best of circumstances millions of people around the world look to sports not just for entertainment but for joy, excitement, and a feeling of community / solidarity with their fellow humans.  We could REALLY use some of that right now and the nature of this crisis is such that we DEFINITELY CAN'T and it's not clear when we'll be able to enjoy sport of any kind again.

Totally valid for people to want to talk, complain, or scheme about that -- in my opinion.

To be clear, I am not talking about us on the forum. I think that is obviously perfectly reasonable as is anything else on this forum. I am more talking about someone like Silver doing a media circuit or talking about how bad the NBA wants to continue the season at all costs. I do think there is a point, and maybe we are there, where pushing on this from his end becomes a bit over the top when 100+ are dying every day in new york and the numbers are going up each day. I am also noticing a lot less of a push from Hockey and baseball...

TOMMY POINT !  ;D

TP = toilet paper

« Reply #97 on: March 25, 2020, 12:57:53 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
Prez says we'll be back in biz by Easter.   :-\

That should get the NBA up and running by Memorial Day.

(sorry...not a political thread, but a baseless, super rosy estimate on a return date seems to work for our fearless leader, so I thought I'd give it a go).

Ehhh he’s only talking about States who aren’t hit as hard with the Virus. But I can see the NBA taking advantage of it.

« Reply #98 on: March 25, 2020, 01:48:21 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2958
  • On To Banner 18!

TOMMY POINT !  ;D

TP = toilet paper

OMG that's genius  :laugh:
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #99 on: March 25, 2020, 01:52:33 PM »

Offline petbrick

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 33
Woj said it on ESPN, but the NBA has discussed the idea of holding a Finals on September at the latest.

Honestly, this just tells me the chances of the season resuming are super slim, and that there's no chance it resumes at all before July. Even if things get better by April-May, I can't imagine they'll be in a rush to just allow gatherings of 1000+ people for a while.

But it could be an evil twist to implement a shortened season starting in December!

« Reply #100 on: March 25, 2020, 04:13:20 PM »

Offline wvcelticsfan

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 4

But it could be an evil twist to implement a shortened season starting in December!

call me a cynic, but that sounds more like a ploy to make sure Lebron gets his chance for a title this year

« Reply #101 on: March 25, 2020, 04:23:52 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
I could be wrong ....buttttttt i doubt it  ;D

New Yorkers could care less about the NBA season right now .

Silver is basically pandering to the LA crowd his biggest audience ...not wanting to make enemies...keep the hype /$ratings up and sponsors encouraged.

« Reply #102 on: March 25, 2020, 06:38:46 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395

New Yorkers could care less about the NBA season right now .

Silver is basically pandering to the LA crowd his biggest audience ...not wanting to make enemies...keep the hype /$ratings up and sponsors encouraged.

I don't think California is clamoring for basketball either: https://twitter.com/LANow/status/1242914152127004674

« Reply #103 on: March 25, 2020, 08:49:02 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Wait, are you the 'real' Charles Barkley?

« Reply #104 on: March 26, 2020, 01:04:36 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
Well if it does, we can look forward to a 7 game loss matchup vs Sixers to meet Lakers in the finals- lol...God, that would be hell
NBA2K says Sixers win the Finals too...

https://sports.yahoo.com/76-ers-win-the-2020-nba-finals-according-to-nba-2-k-20-163549731.html