Author Topic: Planted story on Kyrie Irving's future  (Read 3768 times)

Planted story on Kyrie Irving's future
« on: February 14, 2019, 09:08:30 AM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121
https://sports.yahoo.com/nba-rumors-celtics-believe-rich-015538784.html

The Celtics were annoyed by the story of Irving having eyes for New York, not because of Irving, but because they felt the story was planted by Davis' agent, Rich Paul, in order to scare the Pelicans into thinking Boston would back off making a trade offer for Davis in July if Irving left.

"It was cheap and underhanded," one source told SN.

Re: Planted story on Kyrie Irving's future
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2019, 09:15:56 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
shocker but the source is Yahoo News so I'll take it with a grain of salt.  to be fair, it's not exactly a stretch

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2019, 09:42:31 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
I mean, if you look at the direction of all the rumors during the two week AD saga, it's pretty clear most of it was coming from one source with a very specific agenda. I think they frustrated a lot of unintended targets along the way (Durant, Kyrie) and ultimately failed to gain traction.

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2019, 09:54:26 AM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
...and water is wet.

We all knew who was putting this stuff out there. It still would've  been nice to have Kyrie shoot it down as nonsense but whatever.

We know who works for the Lakers and Bron. Shellhorne, Meninen (sp), Windhorst. If it's not from McMullan, Forsberg, Woj or Washburn it's probably not a good insider reporting. Haynes had the Hayward signing but Hayward wasn't a Celtic yet.

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2019, 10:13:16 AM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 919
I swear, this league has turned into the WWE. We might as well replace Silver with Vince McMahon.

Mike

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2019, 10:21:44 AM »

Online tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 468
Teams and players leak stores to fit their agenda.  Rich Paul knew if AD wasn't traded to the Lakers before the deadline then his only chance of being a Laker will be in FA.  He also knows that if AD goes to a Boston or a NY or another team and likes it he would stay and Paul will lose money because AD would stand to make more in endorsements in LA.  Maybe AD was pushing for LA because he lives there and Paul was doing what his client asked.  A lot more to this then meets the eye.  It will be an interesting off season.  If the C's get their Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline. together and win the whole effing thing then hopefully they just keep the band together with minor tweaks. 

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2019, 10:31:40 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2934
Yeah, we didn’t need a source reporting this to realixevwgat this was all along lol

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2019, 11:05:02 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
But Kyrie's interest in New York has been well documented for quite some time, before he was even traded to the Celtics because he grew up in New Jersey

I don't see what Rich Paul has to do with it.

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2019, 11:06:04 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
...and water is wet.

We all knew who was putting this stuff out there. It still would've  been nice to have Kyrie shoot it down as nonsense but whatever.

We know who works for the Lakers and Bron. Shellhorne, Meninen (sp), Windhorst. If it's not from McMullan, Forsberg, Woj or Washburn it's probably not a good insider reporting. Haynes had the Hayward signing but Hayward wasn't a Celtic yet.

Whoever told you that was lying.

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2019, 11:24:22 AM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
But Kyrie's interest in New York has been well documented for quite some time, before he was even traded to the Celtics because he grew up in New Jersey

AD won't join the Celts if Kyrie is not a Celtic.

If there is doubt on Kyrie's future, it might force the Pels to not wait for the Celtics after the season.
According to the article, Rich Paul was forcing the Pels to trade AD to the Lakers.
Rich Paul knows the Celts have and will have the best offer.
Only way to discourage the Pels from dealing with the Celts was to cast doubt on Kyrie's future.
If the Celts lose Kyrie after the season then there's no way the Celts will trade for AD.

I think if Ainge knew Kyrie was leaving after the season, he would have traded Kyrie at the trade deadline.

By not trading Kyrie at the trade deadline, that means the Celts are confident Kyrie will remain in Boston for many years to come.

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2019, 11:50:11 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

I'm not sure he could be more clear. He wants to retire a Celtic. He's made commercials about it. He wants his number in the rafter with his and his dad's name on it. He wants to lead the Cs to championships.

His "ask me in the summer" was not about changing his mind. It was about the disgust that he keeps getting asked these questions, and the rumors keep swirling, even though he has made his intentions as clear as possible.

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2019, 12:01:59 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
A question on my mind: Do the Cs really want to deal with Rich Paul, as they would have to if they get Davis?
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2019, 12:14:48 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
A question on my mind: Do the Cs really want to deal with Rich Paul, as they would have to if they get Davis?

Right now Celts have leverage.

The Lakers and all the other teams had their chance at the trade deadline.

It's the Celts' turn to get AD.

AD is a generational talent.
The agent should be the least of their concerns.

There are more important questions like will Ainge gamble on giving up Tatum even if AD doesn't commit to Boston long term?

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2019, 12:29:35 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466

I'm not sure he could be more clear. He wants to retire a Celtic. He's made commercials about it. He wants his number in the rafter with his and his dad's name on it. He wants to lead the Cs to championships.

His "ask me in the summer" was not about changing his mind. It was about the disgust that he keeps getting asked these questions, and the rumors keep swirling, even though he has made his intentions as clear as possible.
Well, he could have been more clear when asked about it during that time.  I tend to agree with Ainge's assessment of the July 1 statement (which was actually my initial read as well) but yes, Kyrie could have been at least a little more clear.

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2019, 12:51:37 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I hope Lebron misses the playoffs

What a loser