Author Topic: Mavericks (18-19) at Celtics (22-15) Game #38 1/4/19  (Read 37243 times)

Re: Mavericks (18-19) at Celtics (22-15) Game #38 1/4/19
« Reply #525 on: January 04, 2019, 10:48:16 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
35 assists for Boston vs 16 for Dallas there’s the game right there

35 Assists - Amazing.

Pierce & Billups I must say are right on the money with their comments - Kyrie is great and needed last 2 minutes of a tough game, It's the other 46 minutes where his style of play does not fit with the way the rest of the team plays. Also, Pierce commented on the lack of elite defensive effort. Sounds like a lot of what I have been saying all season, which gets turned into some "I hate Kyrie Irving as a person" perception.

I don't hate Kyrie Irving - I love the Boston Celtics.

Except the fact that they were going on reputation rather than his actual defensive effort this year. Also, Kyrie is averaging the most assists of his career and is 2nd in the league in secondary assists. As nice as these last couple of games have been, the team has to learn to play with their [super]star player.

I enjoy(ed) the commentary by Michelle, Paul, and Chauncey, but they are more there for entertainment than their pinpoint analysis.

Anyway, great game by Jaylen tonight; crappy game by Tatum (the broadcast was really pumping up his game despite his incredibly low efficiency). Really nice win overall and wonderful effort on the boards/passes, too!

« Reply #526 on: January 04, 2019, 10:51:42 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 324
Great win by the Cs. I feel bad for Dirk—he goes 0-for-10 (including 0-for-8 on threes) in his last game in Boston. And he needed only 2 points to pass Kobe for highest-scoring visiting player of all time in Boston!

That can't be right. With as many times as we've faced Lebron over the years in the Eastern Conference, how could he not hold that record?

My apologies: Most scored by a Western Conference opponent. Per Sean Grande:

https://twitter.com/SeanGrandePBP/status/1081311889261555714?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1081311889261555714&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.celticsblog.com%2F2019%2F1%2F4%2F18168596%2Fpreview-boston-celtics-vs-dallas-mavericks-doncic-tatum-irving-horford-hayward-nba
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #527 on: January 04, 2019, 10:51:57 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
Weird stat you would figure is wrong but isn't:

Tatum has led the Celtics in scoring in 5 games this year.

Brown has done it 6 times.

How many of those games was Kyrie out?
Just today.

I mean, look at the games those were in, though. Brown's games are all largely blowouts, and he's been the focus of the offense later in the game and during garbage time when the starters are usually out or playing lower minutes. The only game that he led in that wasn't really a blowout was the San Antonio game, though he looked like the best player on the floor that night for sure.

Tatum's games have all been tight games except for opening night against the Sixers. (Notice that they're all at the beginning of the season, too, highlighting his offensive regression since then.)

I think that's a big reason for Brown having more games as the leading scorer.

Brown - @ Detroit +20; vs Chicago +29; @ Chicago +56; vs Milwaukee -17; @ San Antonio -9; vs Dallas +21

Tatum - vs Philadelphia +18; @ New York + 2; @ OKC +6; @ Portland -6; @ Dallas -9;
good stats and research jp. but, really, i am not sure of your basic point in the post. add a sentence or three to explain that please. thanks.

oh, and tp for being in the game thread.  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #528 on: January 04, 2019, 10:53:07 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
Great win by the Cs. I feel bad for Dirk—he goes 0-for-10 (including 0-for-8 on threes) in his last game in Boston. And he needed only 2 points to pass Kobe for highest-scoring visiting player of all time in Boston!

That can't be right. With as many times as we've faced Lebron over the years in the Eastern Conference, how could he not hold that record?
he's a scrub?

;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #529 on: January 04, 2019, 11:04:10 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Don’t be fooled, this was a GREAT win and a statement kind of win. 4 players out (including Kyrie and Morris) and up against a red hot DAL team, and we won by 21.

Hayward is starting to find his groove and so is Brown. That’s a huge development and it could really spark us going forward.

Schedule is also going to ease up a bit this month (and finally we’ll have a good amount of home games) so we could really start to move up the standings soon  ;D

Also our defense seems to look a lot better as of late. Clearly it’s not perfect still but it’s certainly getting there.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #530 on: January 04, 2019, 11:12:33 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Just today.

I mean, look at the games those were in, though. Brown's games are all largely blowouts, and he's been the focus of the offense later in the game and during garbage time when the starters are usually out or playing lower minutes. The only game that he led in that wasn't really a blowout was the San Antonio game, though he looked like the best player on the floor that night for sure.

Tatum's games have all been tight games except for opening night against the Sixers. (Notice that they're all at the beginning of the season, too, highlighting his offensive regression since then.)

Brown - @ Detroit +20; vs Chicago +29; @ Chicago +56; vs Milwaukee -17; @ San Antonio -9; vs Dallas +21

Tatum - vs Philadelphia +18; @ New York + 2; @ OKC +6; @ Portland -6; @ Dallas -9;
good stats and research jp. but, really, i am not sure of your basic point in the post. add a sentence or three to explain that please. thanks.

Yeah, I don't get the point either. I was actually very surprised when I ran across the stat. First, didn't figure Brown had done it that many times given his reduced role and struggles. Also, Tatum was so very consistent for much of the year I thought he would have more.

I don't think it says much about either player, to be honest. I just thought it a strange stat given their years thus far.

Also strange, I would have figured Tatum to have a 30 point game already this year. Surprised to see he hasn't. Though probably more surprised Brown has one and Hayward has two given how Hayward and Brown have played this year.

« Reply #531 on: January 04, 2019, 11:26:48 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
great win tonight.  perfect example of their "live by the 3, die by the 3" offense.  when hitting their shots, they're up fairly comfortably.  they miss their shots, like that 0-10 and 2-17 stretch, Dallas was right back in it.

feeling better about Brown and Hayward now getting into their grooves again.  hope to see it continue through the season when we get everyone back healthy

« Reply #532 on: January 04, 2019, 11:54:28 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469

Just today.

Yeah, I don't get the point either. I was actually very surprised when I ran across the stat. First, didn't figure Brown had done it that many times given his reduced role and struggles. Also, Tatum was so very consistent for much of the year I thought he would have more.

I don't think it says much about either player, to be honest. I just thought it a strange stat given their years thus far.

Also strange, I would have figured Tatum to have a 30 point game already this year. Surprised to see he hasn't. Though probably more surprised Brown has one and Hayward has two given how Hayward and Brown have played this year.

Brown has been very good since coming back from his injury at the begining of dec.  He is averaging 14 ppg / 4 rpg since 12/6/18.   But he has been more up and down.  He will have dominating games and a few single digit games.

« Reply #533 on: January 05, 2019, 12:17:08 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Just today.

Brown has been very good since coming back from his injury at the begining of dec.  He is averaging 14 ppg / 4 rpg since 12/6/18.   But he has been more up and down.  He will have dominating games and a few single digit games.
He has had some games where he played well but just never touched the ball to score much, hence his low scoring games. His games against Minny and Memphis are two such games. Just not going to score a lot when not given enough shots. In 4 of his last 10 games, where he has been playing pretty great two way ball, he's had games of 3 shots, 4 shots, and 2 at 7 shots. He was 10 of 21 in those 4 games so shot well. But you can't expect consistent scoring if he isn't being given the shots on the regular.

« Reply #534 on: January 05, 2019, 12:33:46 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906

My apologies: Most scored by a Western Conference opponent. Per Sean Grande:

https://twitter.com/SeanGrandePBP/status/1081311889261555714?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1081311889261555714&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.celticsblog.com%2F2019%2F1%2F4%2F18168596%2Fpreview-boston-celtics-vs-dallas-mavericks-doncic-tatum-irving-horford-hayward-nba

Ah, that makes more sense. TP.

« Reply #535 on: January 05, 2019, 01:00:43 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
I'm really bummed that I couldn't catch this game.  I'm glad the Celts won but interested in how Luka looked - what did you guys think?
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #536 on: January 05, 2019, 01:05:17 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I'm really bummed that I couldn't catch this game.  I'm glad the Celts won but interested in how Luka looked - what did you guys think?
I only caught the last quarter, but dang he looked very good again. Making good play after good play, never looking uncomfortable, and pretty much looking like Dallas' best player pretty easily. I would kill for him to be in green
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #537 on: January 05, 2019, 09:05:00 AM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
Dallas really took advantage of Atlanta. Luka will be a superstar. Trae Young??

I loved our effort last night although we had stretches of missing many shots. Gordon good game but still concerned about how he can miss so many bunnies (layups). I was FINALLY impressed by Wannamaker. Smart is such a beast.