Author Topic: Is Kyrie injury prone? Might depend on definition  (Read 485 times)

Is Kyrie injury prone? Might depend on definition
« on: January 04, 2019, 05:09:00 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
We have been gifted with a true all star guard
"Injury prone has such a negative attachment to it".The recent operation to remove hardware and then an infection with further need to remove screws "Hardly injury prone".This stemmed from that one nasty injury a broken knee cap.The knee is now 100% structurally sound and all hardware and screws removed. Kyrie is finally pain free.
Another injury a freak accident was the recent scraping of his cornea in a mild entangled collision.
I was thinking, how Kyrie has looked quicker and playing pain free.His defense has improved to another level and he has been taking charges making steals and even rebounding on offensive end.To cap it off his assists are up.

I have read the" trade Kyrie that he is fragile and weak" -Why should he jack himself up when his game is about being flexible and subtle. Kyrie is like a contortionist among the bigs sliding away from direct contact and keeping them confused with an array of wrong footed shots and spins.
Kyrie is a top 10 player in the league -right NOW

Kyrie is unique and a gifted scorer and it takes time for his game to become fully accepted and assimilated
but once that chemistry is found and ingrained.AND it may take Hayward back 100% or the trading of players that can't adjust after last seasons run.It is really Hayward that is holding back progress and eating minutes from others.

-Some might need to start and get more minutes.Their competitive nature although trying to harness it may just seep out.The diversity of the groups ages and experience may need adjustment Ever since Kyrie came into the league he has stood out and his pedigree is unquestionable.In my eyes he was a steal in that trade with the only drawback the inability to add another superstar because of some rule.
Kyrie is irreplaceable but not indispensable.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 05:14:40 AM by rollie mass »

Re: Is Kyrie injury prone? Might depend on definition
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2019, 06:34:14 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I would say he is a bit injury prone.   He does not get the star protection that some other guys get now he is not by LeBron's side.

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2019, 07:33:47 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
Celts4ever--do you consider taking hardware out an injury or the subsequent removal of screws due to infection.
I think anybody on Celts could pick up more injuries due to being asked to be two way players.
I don't call Marcus injury prone either as it is a measure of his defensive intensity and when it goes bad it's catastrophic.
If you play active defense  are ball dominant and take it to the basket against the bigs .Injuries will be more frequent  but the stigma of injury prone is fragile- is Marcus Smart fragile?
Also the degree of skill necessary to play like Kyrie suffers from injuries and pain.
Kyrie would have had a huge night against the Timberwolves. They were shorthanded and weak defensively.
So glad to see Hayward break out and Rozier play at high level even if it showcases him as a starter
« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 07:58:59 AM by rollie mass »

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2019, 07:34:51 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I would say he is a bit injury prone.   He does not get the star protection that some other guys get now he is not by LeBron's side.
Agree. His injury concerns are often majorly overblown by his critics
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2019, 08:13:05 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
He is a bit fragile and he looks like a skinny guy who has never lifted a weight in his life.  He’s one of the flimsiest looking players in the league.  Maybe he could be a little more proactive on the injury front.  Nobody really knows for sure since there are specimens like Blake Griffin who do everything humanly possible to enhance their bodies and are still always injured.  I do feel like it’s not fair when Kyrie collides with another player- like the chances are high that Kyrie will get hurt.

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2019, 09:45:27 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
He has suffered a concussion rookie season,a broken toe on an awkward landing while driving a broken finger punching a wall a wall at practice .Had a shoulder flareup end of season ducked a few meaningless games,With Celtics did he break a cheekbone and those operations don't count.
The article i read listed his early injuries, a freak accident his head colliding with DWades knee,punching a wall breaking his little finger'and an awkward fall breaking his toe.Called him unlucky and the author thought of injury prone was multiple  injuries to same area.
Was recovering from lower leg injury when he took a knee from Clay Thompson the resulting stress snapped his kneecap.
His hit to the face with Celtics and wearing a mask and now his scratched eye.

He is finally pain free playing defense at much higher rate,taking charges sneaking in for put backs and offensive rebounds,making steals.
I assume his look is part of his ability to contort,shift direction and stop start quickly.Avery had that slithery ability to get over top of screens.I think there was a period with Cavs he bulked up a bit.
Kyrie glances off people unlike IT who fell from high places
.Don't you think more bulk and weight would hurt more landing and interfere with those contorted squeeze by closes. .Rozier hates getting challenged in air.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 10:21:03 AM by rollie mass »