Author Topic: Early 2020 Draft Watchlist  (Read 22646 times)

Re: Early 2020 Draft Watchlist
« Reply #60 on: January 08, 2020, 03:29:22 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Daniel Oturu. Whoa! Dude is candidate for the Memphis pick, if it conveys. Don't see his name mentioned much for the lottery but he's improved significantly since last year. He's even added a "developing" 3-ball (considering he only took 2 all of last year). Must see on the Minnesota Gophers. Pretty sure someone already mentioned his name.

Gouki mentioned him!

Daniel Oturu is a big having a really nice season. Has a lovely touch around the ring.

Also, pasted from another thread:

Both are considered late 1st round picks mainly due to age (senior and junior) . Short analysis using scouting reports, games and video highlights.

Udoka Azubukie (6'11 280 pound monster)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdPJFaQlRuY

Pros:  Monster body, chiseled, co ordinated.  Likely stronger than many NBA centers.  Decent post moves and good rebounder/shot blocker.  Covers a lot of ground. Decent passing ability
Cons: Age.  Poor shooter (40 percent at the FT line and none existent jump shot).  Moves/runs well but plays an oldschool kind of game. 
Comparison: Andre Drummond

Kaleb Wesson (6'9, 270 pounds)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWp-JwercoU

Pros:  Sneaky athletic.  Good at PNR because he can shoot the 3.  Has a good BBIQ.  Good rebounder, shot blocker and passer.
Cons: Age.  A little on the pudgy side.  Needs to work on perimeter defense/quickness. 
Comparison:  Al Horford

Celts may lose Theis and Kanter next season (contract).  And Robert Williams hip situation is not promising.  I like Tacko but I don't think he will be much more than a 3rd string NBA center at best.

Pending no trade or inability to sign a decent PF/C, the Celts will be left with a big hole down the middle next season. 

Not saying either of these two prospects are the solution (late 1st round pick prospects).  But you have to start somewhere and start building depth.

Since the Memphis pick will probably be ours this year, I'd assume we would go for a big in the lottery. Not too knowledgeable on this years draftees, but it seems our best choices would be Dukie Vernon Carey and USC's Onyeka Okongwu, according to mock drafts.

« Reply #61 on: January 08, 2020, 04:33:59 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
Welpp, after watching Obi Toppin's first stint in the Dayton Lasalle game, I've seen enough.

There'll be no Toppin in Boston without trading up from the Memphis pick....

What a perfect Celtic he'd be as our longterm starting 4 next to Jayson and Jaylen

I don’t think he has the athleticism to succeed as a power forward. Feel like he’s a typically 4th year college guy who is older than his competition.
He's a sophomore but your'e right he's an old sophomore....(or is that what you meant?).  I hope other teams feel the same as you (and Tankathon which has him down in lower lottery), so that the Celtics could maybe grab him.  They just described him as the best dunker in college basketball and said he was like a hybrid of Amare Stoudamire and I forgot who else......so hard to picture that he's missing athleticism, unless these announcers are out to lunch.

Yes age wise he’s a senior. Judging him from film. Admittedly have not watched him in full games. Just a gut impression. Hope you’re right and I’m wrong.

He seems to move a little stiffly.  I'm hoping it's a meaningless stiffness....definitely might fall lower due to age.  The top of the draft is all about the super youth.
Not stiff at all. I guess you missed the move last night straight out of the Kevin McHale school of schooling people. He has good footwork, is smart and shoots the 3 ball well. He's looking like a top 10 pick. Didn't realize his age. His maturity shows on the court. I don't think he falls in draft much. Dude can play.
Edit: just realized Toppin was redshirted. It's why he's as old as he is.
Also, love the attitude in this video. Larry Bird-esque (DO NOT think for a second I am comparing the two).
https://www.espn.com/watch/player?id=28178915&lang=en

I don't care if he's stiff or not.  Was more of an aesthetic comment.  He's good and he'd be a great pick for the C's.  I did see the McHale-esque move.  It was sweet.  :)

« Reply #62 on: January 09, 2020, 12:38:49 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
someone mentioned over on SoSH, and whom tankathon has the celtics taking late in the first round, is Aleksej Pokusevski, Croatian, 18 years old, 7 foot with 7'3" wingspan and a 9'1" standing reach... and he is thin.  ;D

this is a woeful and sobering small sample size, but in the highlight video i watched he seems to move well. i like how he plays defense and blocks shots, keeping them in play for his team mates.

his shot from under the basket, 3 point range, and mid-range all looked good...in the one video.

oh, and in the video he passes the ball very well. here is info on him.

http://www.tankathon.com/players/aleksej-pokusevski

https://www.thestepien.com/2019/05/06/2020-international-guide-curious-case-aleksej-pokusevski/
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #63 on: January 22, 2020, 11:23:57 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
According to this:
https://www.nbadraft.net/nba-mock-drafts/
We are projected to pick with 30 pick Yurtseven from Georgetown.
I went to see the Hoyas with musketeers in Xavier tonight. I was 3 seats behind his coach Patrick Ewing.
I didn’t see any nba potential in Yurtseven.
He was as tall as his coach as his name implies - seven feet but that is about it ... he tried to shoot and play defense against smaller bigs and had to be benched midway through the game because he was being outplayed by everyone.
With that said he looks like someone Danny would draft just to mix it up lol
Oh and dam n Patrick Ewing was standing throughout the whole game and was taking most of my viewing area! He is enormous lol

« Reply #64 on: January 23, 2020, 03:51:18 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Haven't been paying attention to college ball yet.  If there is a good Cameroonian big who started basketball late, that's my pick.  Good things come in threes. 

« Reply #65 on: January 23, 2020, 04:12:26 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Haven't been paying attention to college ball yet.  If there is a good Cameroonian big who started basketball late, that's my pick.  Good things come in threes.
Sadly no Cameroonian big that I can find, but Zeke Nnaji is a guy who started basketball late. Elite efficiency scoring with good rebounding. Maybe he’s a late first target?
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #66 on: January 23, 2020, 08:35:53 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
delete
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 04:28:09 PM by Tr1boy »

« Reply #67 on: January 23, 2020, 08:38:08 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
duplicate

« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 04:28:29 PM by Tr1boy »

« Reply #68 on: January 23, 2020, 10:13:20 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Other than James Wiseman, not really impressed with any of the other 1st round C/PF

No real super athletes or stretch capabilities 

The two bigs I like are late 1st/2nd round prospects

Killien Tillie and Kaleb Wesson. Both can shoot the 3, pass. Co ordinated and fluid.  Both are older prospects though
Same here..may be the weakest draft class that I can remember
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #69 on: January 23, 2020, 05:16:15 PM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
Steven Enoch could be a big-man in our range at the end of the draft. He's old (22), but he is a real difference maker for Louisville. Doesn't get too much play (21MPG roughly), but he possesses really good OBPM, DBPM, BPM and WS/48 numbers since arriving at Louisville. Great rebounder, and has shown flashes of being able to shoot a three.

I really like the way Tyrese Haliburton plays.

Daniel Oturu is a big having a really nice season. Has a lovely touch around the ring.

Omer Yurtseven (seems like we have talked about him for 4 years straight) could be another late-round target.

I love Paul Reed. Developing jump-shot, but is a great rebounder and defender, and can score.

Feel like Ashton Hagans has become somewhat forgotten about. Could be a good pickup.

Avidjia also seems good, but don't know much about him.

Don't really want us to end up with 3 first rounders to be honest. Not sure if any team is looking to trade down though, who knows. Ultimate dream is we're able to package into the top 5 and snag Wiseman or something like that, but 2021 seems like a stronger draft to me. Jalen Green, Evan Mobley, Jalen Johnson, Ibou Dianko Badji (physical monster) and Saddiq Bey are all fun prospects, to name a couple.

Hagans looks great.  But hoping Tremont gets the nod for back up PG next year...but I'm sure Danny would take Hagans anyway if he likes him. 
Avidjia is intriguing as a bench option for a few years...then see where we're at with SF.  IF he's picked at 7-10 by Danny I'll have high hopes.
Yeah, my hopes / expectations for Waters and Edwards are probably why I'm less looking at point guard prospects.

Avidjia could be something. Not sure how he'll hold up, but he seems to have a good IQ for the game (from the very limited I've actually seen).
I watched playing for the Israeli national team, he looked great as the leader of that group. He made a mistake going to Maccabi where he don't get to play much. 
I am worried he might be like Bender, but i would say he has more potential.

« Reply #70 on: January 23, 2020, 06:15:31 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
Sadly no Cameroonian big that I can find, but Zeke Nnaji is a guy who started basketball late. Elite efficiency scoring with good rebounding. Maybe he’s a late first target?
Thanks.  Watched a few highlights and listened to a short interview.  I like what I see and heard.  Good energy and mobility.  Listed as 6'11/240 but doesn't look like it.  Seemed to have a very good personality.  I'll need to look into him more.  NBAdraft.net mock has him at 16. 

« Reply #71 on: January 23, 2020, 06:22:14 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Thanks.  Watched a few highlights and listened to a short interview.  I like what I see and heard.  Good energy and mobility.  Listed as 6'11/240 but doesn't look like it.  Seemed to have a very good personality.  I'll need to look into him more.  NBAdraft.net mock has him at 16.
I’ve seen him listed between 16 and 38, so he’s just one of those guys this early in the draft process. He could be a good piece I feel - still young and producing at a high level.

« Reply #72 on: January 23, 2020, 06:30:52 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
Other than James Wiseman, not really impressed with any of the other 1st round C/PF

No real super athletes or stretch capabilities 

The two bigs I like are late 1st/2nd round prospects

Killien Tillie and Kaleb Wesson. Both can shoot the 3, pass. Co ordinated and fluid.  Both are older prospects though
Super athletic and stretch capabilities are not what I'd prioritize for a big.  Embiid isn't super athletic and he wasn't shooting 3s in college.  Not particularly into older prospects either.  Experience can make players look much better than they actually are. 

« Reply #73 on: January 23, 2020, 07:47:23 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
I’ve seen him listed between 16 and 38, so he’s just one of those guys this early in the draft process. He could be a good piece I feel - still young and producing at a high level.
Doesn't sound like he started late.  In an interview, he said he wanted to be a NBA player since he was a kid and that his dad worked with him on it as a kid.  I do like what I've seen so far.

« Reply #74 on: January 23, 2020, 09:00:45 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Doesn't sound like he started late.  In an interview, he said he wanted to be a NBA player since he was a kid and that his dad worked with him on it as a kid.  I do like what I've seen so far.
You could be completely right, I was just going off his Wikipedia page, lol.