Poll

Is Lack of Bigs Production the real problem

Yes
14 (50%)
No
14 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Author Topic: Poll: Is Lack of Bigs Production the real problem  (Read 1705 times)

Re: Poll: Is Lack of Bigs Production the real problem
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2018, 02:58:22 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
Brad doesn't play his bigs. It is hard to produce when you are sitting on the bench.

We got killed inside last night while Baynes and Williams sat on the bench. It drives me crazy.

The Jazz got 17 more rebounds than we did. I would have played Williams, unless his knees are bad.

I think the problem is that Baynes and Williams are not that good (or in the case of Williams not that good yet).  That is why he is not playing them.  And yes, I think that is our problem.  We need more skill at PF and C.

« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2018, 04:27:11 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164

Love Horford. Perfect Team guy.

Agreed!

Cold truth is this. He's 32 years old. He's post prime now. Prime ended at 27 years old for Big Al.

I’d say that his game is aging well, and that the last two seasons he has contributed as much to winning as he ever has. Having said that, he’s undoubtedly had a slow start - and I’m confident that it IS a slow start, since he finished last year so strong and hasn’t had to deal with injuries or procedures this year.

He's a 12 ppg 6rpg big

Beware of per-game stats. Boston plays slow and Horford is under 30 minutes.  Having said that, he’s defensive-rebounding worse than Rozier.

No. There is no single “real problem”.
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2018, 06:00:15 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Love Horford. Perfect Team guy.

Agreed!

Cold truth is this. He's 32 years old. He's post prime now. Prime ended at 27 years old for Big Al.

I’d say that his game is aging well, and that the last two seasons he has contributed as much to winning as he ever has. Having said that, he’s undoubtedly had a slow start - and I’m confident that it IS a slow start, since he finished last year so strong and hasn’t had to deal with injuries or procedures this year.

He's a 12 ppg 6rpg big

Beware of per-game stats. Boston plays slow and Horford is under 30 minutes.  Having said that, he’s defensive-rebounding worse than Rozier.

No. There is no single “real problem”.

TP Vermont Green and Hoop.

His game is again well but not his rebounding peak was 26 years old and has been down every year since. Not picking on the guy it's his weakness as an aging star.

That said we need a Dominant young big man in his prime that can gobble up 10 boards a night and play perimeter defense as well.

We hope it's What about Bob. But we have to get an NBA ready version ASAP. He has to be good enough that Stevens has to play him 25 plus minutes.

« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2018, 07:06:17 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I see the problems being many and not just one but here they are, in no particular order:

- Cold shooting. They lead the league in wide open shots but have completed a horrid percentage of those shots. The offense is creating the opportunities but just not making them.

- Lack of offensive balance. The team needs to drive with a purpose to finish at the rim rather than just kick out for a three pointer. Just way too many three pointers. This is easily remedied with more pick and roll offense, especially with Horford or Baynes running to the rim. Theis is great at this. He has been missed.

- Lack of cohesion with the starters. Clearly everyone hasn't figured out their role yet and that is compounded with Hayward being far from the player he used to be. Tatum is not a PF and has transformed his game for the worse with mid range iso ball. Brown started in an awful slump and Kyrie seems to be hesitant, until recently, of being the alpha man on offense.

- Lack of scoring off the bench except for Morris. Theis was having a good year until getting hurt but other than he and Morris, not one player on the bench is shooting well or giving the team any type of consistent scoring.

- Lack of a player that can play defense against the bigger more talented centers in the league. They need someone who can take on the Jokics, Goberts, Embiids, etc. in the league. That may be Robert Williams in two years but it isn't now and Horford has not been able to contain those bigger talented centers in the NBA.

« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2018, 07:40:10 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I see the problems being many and not just one but here they are, in no particular order:

- Cold shooting. They lead the league in wide open shots but have completed a horrid percentage of those shots. The offense is creating the opportunities but just not making them.

- Lack of offensive balance. The team needs to drive with a purpose to finish at the rim rather than just kick out for a three pointer. Just way too many three pointers. This is easily remedied with more pick and roll offense, especially with Horford or Baynes running to the rim. Theis is great at this. He has been missed.

- Lack of cohesion with the starters. Clearly everyone hasn't figured out their role yet and that is compounded with Hayward being far from the player he used to be. Tatum is not a PF and has transformed his game for the worse with mid range iso ball. Brown started in an awful slump and Kyrie seems to be hesitant, until recently, of being the alpha man on offense.

- Lack of scoring off the bench except for Morris. Theis was having a good year until getting hurt but other than he and Morris, not one player on the bench is shooting well or giving the team any type of consistent scoring.

- Lack of a player that can play defense against the bigger more talented centers in the league. They need someone who can take on the Jokics, Goberts, Embiids, etc. in the league. That may be Robert Williams in two years but it isn't now and Horford has not been able to contain those bigger talented centers in the NBA.

I would add rebounding to that list. That is where I think swapping one of the SFs (Tatum, Hayward, Jaylen) for a 2nd big man in the starting lineup would help the most.

« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2018, 07:47:19 PM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
right now we are a average team..
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2018, 03:44:33 AM »

Offline Kyriefor3

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 4
Give Baynes more time by starting him but please for the love of god have him stop shooting those threes with that increasingly ugly shot of his.

« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2018, 07:14:56 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512

I would add rebounding to that list. That is where I think swapping one of the SFs (Tatum, Hayward, Jaylen) for a 2nd big man in the starting lineup would help the most.

I think it’s time to go back to the Baynes Horford starting combo that worked so well last year.  Horford can get his minutes at center still but mix it up more.   Maybe by not starting 3 wings they don’t be as tentative, and be more aggressive.

« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2018, 10:43:32 AM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
I think Horford and Baynes need a side kick. I feel like we play too small for too long. A 3rd big would give us more rebounding and more interior defense.  Our tandem of 2 just doesnt get it done when one is a bruiser and one plays outside the paint or on the perimeter.

Our rookie might be that guy. We never found out if Theis was because he is hurt, My guess is he is not.

Last year we ran more and in lushing the pace we attacked the rim. This is our only other option IMO with the current roster.
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2018, 11:18:38 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Biggest problems statistically have been Brown, who has been brutal, and Hayward, who has been below average. As a team, we've slipped a bit offensively, but our ratings overall aren't that different than last year's. I think time is probably the best solution.

« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2018, 11:47:33 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
I’m pretty sure Horford is pacing himself and that they are monitoring his workload. Last year, he cane out like a gang buster. This year he seems not as aggressive so far.

« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2018, 12:04:20 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Horford brings it in the playoffs... feels like there have always been complaints about his performance in the regular season since he joined BOS...

« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2018, 12:11:04 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
The whole premise of this thread is false, another big is not going to suddenly make shots fall, which is our real problem.

« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2018, 01:21:44 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Absolutely not. Horford is our only good big. Gobert killed us. Add to that Horford inside game is sub par compared to Prime Al.

. We need a big man that can score and rebound.

« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2018, 11:17:37 PM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
I think Horford and Baynes need a side kick. I feel like we play too small for too long. A 3rd big would give us more rebounding and more interior defense.  Our tandem of 2 just doesnt get it done when one is a bruiser and one plays outside the paint or on the perimeter.

Our rookie might be that guy. We never found out if Theis was because he is hurt, My guess is he is not.

Last year we ran more and in lushing the pace we attacked the rim. This is our only other option IMO with the current roster.
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku