Author Topic: Report: Pelicans still not interested in trading with Lakers after draft lottery  (Read 2910 times)

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I don’t really buy it, but I hope it’s true.

This particular report might not have merit, but it was very clear the Pels had no interest in dealing with the Lakers at the deadline; I don't know why that would have changed. I get that they now have the #4 pick, but the best asset coming back (Ingram) now has a future that is totally up in the air. Those things are a wash, at best.

I doubt the report for two reasons:

1.  It's too early in the process to make that decision.  NOP hasn't worked any of the prospects at #4 out, they haven't reviewed Ingram's medical records, etc.  It just doesn't make sense to make a decision without knowing fully what's on the table.

2.  It makes no sense to limit the number of suitors at this point, if only for leverage purposes.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

This particular report might not have merit, but it was very clear the Pels had no interest in dealing with the Lakers at the deadline; I don't know why that would have changed. I get that they now have the #4 pick, but the best asset coming back (Ingram) now has a future that is totally up in the air. Those things are a wash, at best.

1.  It's too early in the process to make that decision.  NOP hasn't worked any of the prospects at #4 out, they haven't reviewed Ingram's medical records, etc.  It just doesn't make sense to make a decision without knowing fully what's on the table.

2.  It makes no sense to limit the number of suitors at this point, if only for leverage purposes.

Exactly

Griffin would have little to no leverage this way

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593

This particular report might not be true, but it was very clear the Pels had no interest in dealing with the Lakers at the deadline; I don't know why that would have changed. I get that they now have the #4 pick, but the best asset coming back (Ingram) now has a future that is totally up in the air. Those things are a wash, at best.

Well outside of the addition of the 4th pick to the Lakers offer.

The Pelicans have a new GM.

Also, as much as we'd like to believe it's because they hold a grudge against the Lakers, it may just be because they wanted to field competing offers from teams like Boston and New York (plus any other wild cards that could potentially come up if a surprise team won the draft).

And trading with the Lakers at the deadline likely puts the Lakers in the playoffs, so we can see the advantage of waiting to trade with the Lakers as they just landed the 4th pick.

So there's all those things.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
Maybe it's just a simple case of the Fakers being a western rival and the Pels do not want to deal with AD for 4x a Yr. In the next 10 years...plus the playoffs once they start entering it...

Of course the Boston offer trumps theirs anyway.

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789

This particular report might not be true, but it was very clear the Pels had no interest in dealing with the Lakers at the deadline; I don't know why that would have changed. I get that they now have the #4 pick, but the best asset coming back (Ingram) now has a future that is totally up in the air. Those things are a wash, at best.

Also, as much as we'd like to believe it's because they hold a grudge against the Lakers, it may just be because they wanted to field competing offers from teams like Boston and New York (plus any other wild cards that could potentially come up if a surprise team won the draft).

And trading with the Lakers at the deadline likely puts the Lakers in the playoffs, so we can see the advantage of waiting to trade with the Lakers as they just landed the 4th pick.

the pels not answering the Lakers phone calls lowers the pels leverage. I fail to see how its strategic to their advantage. Now boston can lower their bid knowing Lakers are out of the race

At worst, Celtics don't have to be as aggressive as previously thought

Knox and #3 isn't a  sexy package

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

Those are all good points and as you probably noticed, I literally mentioned having the #4 pick immediately after the part you bolded in my post. I just happen to think that Brandon Ingram was previously their 'Tatum' and now his future is very uncertain. The #4 pick makes up for that a bit, but it certainly isn't a guarantee.

I also think that there is a decent amount of animosity towards the Lakers and that probably hasn't changed a lot since a couple of months ago. Sometimes, in business, people just refuse to work with a certain person/company out of spite. It may be somewhat harmful to their cause, but it's not like AD isn't a desirable asset.

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550

1) They haven't worked any out yet, but they have likely scouted them extensively so far this year. Working a guy out probably doesn't carry nearly as much weight as his high school and college career to date. in other words they have a pretty good idea if they like that pick.

2) Limiting suitors only matters in terms of leverage if other teams actually believe the threat of the LAL is real, and looking at the package they can offer with the injuries and general underperformance of their youth no team in the league is gonna take them seriously  if they try to use the Lakers as leverage. Because the Lakers package isnt good. 

Its  easy to not want anything to do with the Lakers, because their package isnt good. And if all else is just even you wuld have to think NOP would rather send Davis to the eats, and away from the team that tampered with him.

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550

Counterpoint.

The move up to 4 doesn't matter all that much in a 2.5 player draft (depending on how you feel about Barret). There is a significant drop off after that top 3. And even if they have a new GM deals like this involve the owner as much as the GM, if the Pels owners didn't like the Lakers offer at the deadline they don't like it any more now. And sure, they probably wanted competing offers. but there have been numerus reports they were angry with the Lakers, and numerous reports that the Lakers felt they weren't negotiating in good faith. It does seem there's some bad blood there. Add in that while their draft pick had improved, the value of Ball and Ingram has fallen due to injuries since the deadline. Plus neither guy is a good fit with Zion anyway, since neither is a good shooter.

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593

Those are all good points and as you probably noticed, I literally mentioned having the #4 pick immediately after the part you bolded in my post. I just happen to think that Brandon Ingram was previously their 'Tatum' and now his future is very uncertain. The #4 pick makes up for that a bit, but it certainly isn't a guarantee.

I also think that there is a decent amount of animosity towards the Lakers and that probably hasn't changed a lot since a couple of months ago. Sometimes, in business, people just refuse to work with a certain person/company out of spite. It may be somewhat harmful to their cause, but it's not like AD isn't a desirable asset.

Rest assured, I am literate, and what I was I trying to say was something more along the lines of:

"Well outside of the addition of the 4th pick to the Lakers offer which you already mentioned...;)

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class