Author Topic: Ricky Rubio Has Interest In Signing W/Boston  (Read 5646 times)

Re: Ricky Rubio Has Interest In Signing W/Boston
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2019, 12:54:25 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
If we lose Smart and Rozier, he's a decent fill-in piece in the backcourt. Not sure he'd mesh well with Kyrie though--in theory Kyrie could play SG on offense, but he doesn't seem to like the ball out of his hands.

If we lose Kyrie and keep Smart, it's a bad fit.

« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2019, 01:14:02 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
Would you prefer Rubio to Rondo, given Rondo is likely to come cheaper?

I'm fine with either. Yes, even Rondo.

I'm all aboard the Rondo train, love that guy. I also think AD would feel more inclined to stay with Rondo, given their past.

I just want the return of Playoff Rondo!!

Is that you, Janos?
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2019, 06:53:41 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Any idea why his usage has gone down the past 2 years? He played on 28 per game this past season and seems to be getting used less and less over past few years. His numbers estimated for low to mid 30's per game would be pretty decent. How is his net effect on court?

He would be a huge step up vs Rozier as a back up and could be a decent starter as well but not upper echelon I don't believe. He is still young as well and has yet to be in a decent organization it appears too. Intriguing.

Donovan Mitchell

« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2019, 07:20:55 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
If Kyrie is back, the team will most likely have only the taxpayer MLE to sign a new player. Depending on if a Davis trade happens, Smart could or could not be back. There are a lot of variables.

Regardless of how it happens, if the Celtics have only the taxpayer MLE to sign Rubio, I don't think he signs for $5.7 million a year. He is too good for that. If the Celtics have only the standard MLE, I guess, regardless of role, Rubio might agree to getting that $9.2 million a year. I could see that happening as long as Rubio is given a strong role as a starting PG or 3rd guard off the bench.

Danny could make worse signings. Rubio would be a good add but not really a difference making one. But he would know his role, which is important.

« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2019, 07:24:22 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
If Kyrie is back, the team will most likely have only the taxpayer MLE to sign a new player. Depending on if a Davis trade happens, Smart could or could not be back. There are a lot of variables.

Regardless of how it happens, if the Celtics have only the taxpayer MLE to sign Rubio, I don't think he signs for $5.7 million a year. He is too good for that. If the Celtics have only the standard MLE, I guess, regardless of role, Rubio might agree to getting that $9.2 million a year. I could see that happening as long as Rubio is given a strong role as a starting PG or 3rd guard off the bench.

Danny could make worse signings. Rubio would be a good add but not really a difference making one. But he would know his role, which is important.

Exactly.  This team desperately needs veterans who know what they can do and what they can't do.

Even if Kyrie signs elsewhere and the team refocuses on building up Tatum & Brown, it will be hugely important to sign at least a few veterans with a clear sense of their role in the league.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2019, 08:44:03 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
I think this team has other pressing needs before we get to backup PG. We need to sort out it starters first.

Well yeah, the first two things we need to figure out are Kyrie's FA and potential AD trade. Once we do that, we can start looking more at these options + other current FAs of ours (Morris) depending on what happens.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2019, 08:47:20 PM »

Offline satch

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 136
If he is another iso guard nooooo.

« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2019, 09:35:37 PM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
Rubio or Darren Collison would be my top choices of replacing Kyrie / Rozier if the price is right.

Collison definitely. 47.1FG%, 39.4 3P% for his career vs Rubio 38.8FG%, 32.2 3P%

« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2019, 05:19:28 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
first, rubio plays far better defense now.

second, rubio is less moody and plays hard consistently.

third, rubio is a tiny bit better at 3 pointers over his career (32.2% vs 31.5%) but much better at FT(83.8% vs 60.5%). and as noted above, rubio probably fits better with CBS offense than rondo. but neither is an offensive force.

finally, rubio is 28 years old, rondo is 33 years old.

the big problem with rubio is his paycheck - he made $14.75 million last year. too much for a back up. but if kyrie walks, rubio might be a credible replacement.

Agreed with all points, but if we get AD, Rondo might be a better fit in terms of being good friends/previous teammates.

Plus Rondo would come cheaper, and be an awesome backup.

Rubio has said he wants to start.

Agreed also with H. Rondo is less of a ball hog than before and a better on court coach, I'd be interested in his impact on JT and JB. Age concerns me less as I don't see it being a long term job, just a couple of years.

Either starting alongside Brown in the back court excites me.

I'm fine with either. Yes, even Rondo.

I'm all aboard the Rondo train, love that guy. I also think AD would feel more inclined to stay with Rondo, given their past.

I just want the return of Playoff Rondo!!

Is that you, Janos?

Nay. Rondo is the player that got me into Celtics basketball, before that I didn't watch much NBA at all, living in England. I'll always have a soft spot for him, which probably doesn't make me the best judge :D

« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2019, 06:54:53 AM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
if he plays for Boston ,  my wife will watch every dang game , ill get no dinner or attention
« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 10:52:16 AM by SHAQATTACK »

« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2019, 07:37:05 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
if he is a last resort at PG then yes
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2019, 08:08:11 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
That would be fun. Rubio would be a good replacement for Kyrie. More of a team player and passer than Rozier.

I think Rubio would really help to improve team chemistry.

« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2019, 09:07:43 AM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140

100%.  Rondo's body is done man.  He looks like a corpse out there when he plays.

« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2019, 10:50:30 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199

100%.  Rondo's body is done man.  He looks like a corpse out there when he plays.

I haven't been able to watch much of him the last few years, my memories are all I have.

I would be very happy with Rubio, the question would be how much he could be paid and whether that would be enough for him. I'd imagine he'd take the MLE to play for us, but there's the obvious downside of that hardcapping us.

« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2019, 10:53:35 AM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
he is entertaining to watch ,  natural team player .