Author Topic: BOS - NO - ORL 3-way trade idea  (Read 2505 times)

BOS - NO - ORL 3-way trade idea
« on: May 14, 2019, 08:49:57 PM »

Offline celts10

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 25
This is my first ever trade proposal in the forum. I wanted to get your thoughts on this three-way trade idea between New Orleans, Boston, and Orlando with the intent of improving the needs of each of the three teams.

BOS trades: Jayson Tatum, Marcus Smart, Guerschon Yabusele, and 3 #1 first-round draft picks to NO for Anthony Davis

ORL trades: Markelle Fultz, Timofey Mozgov, and #16 Overall 2019 draft pick to NO for Jrue Holiday

New Orleans gets a young blossoming talent in Tatum, a long-term project in Fultz, Mozgov's expiring contract, and a host of draft picks to build towards the future. Boston gets their long-coveted franchise superstar in Davis in order to pair with a re-signed Kyrie and vie for a championship. Orlando gets an experienced, defensive-minded former All Star guard in Holiday while preserving their young rising core of Gordon, Isaac, and (hopefully) Bamba. An added bonus for New Orleans is that they get to send their top two stars, Davis and Holiday, to the East instead of further strengthening their Western Conference rivals.

What do you guys think of this deal?
(Edit: This post was made before the results of the 2019 NBA draft lottery.)

Re: BOS - NO - ORL 3-way trade idea
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2019, 05:08:11 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
These are two completely independent trades right? Just checking I'm not missing something...

I think it'd be very important which picks go out. If Tatum is gone then I really hope we keep the Memphis pick. Seems an overpay to give them two high lottery players. Otherwise this trade is pretty much where I expect to end up if they trade AD to us. Only other scenario I can see is Hayward going to NOP/3rd team instead of Smart and the picks but not sure I like that at all.

On the NOP side, they don't get to dump any bad contracts in these two trades, does that limit their flexibility in the future?

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2019, 05:47:02 AM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
These are two completely independent trades right? Just checking I'm not missing something...

I think it'd be very important which picks go out. If Tatum is gone then I really hope we keep the Memphis pick. Seems an overpay to give them two high lottery players. Otherwise this trade is pretty much where I expect to end up if they trade AD to us. Only other scenario I can see is Hayward going to NOP/3rd team instead of Smart and the picks but not sure I like that at all.

On the NOP side, they don't get to dump any bad contracts in these two trades, does that limit their flexibility in the future?

This is NOP's cap situation: https://hoopshype.com/salaries/new_orleans_pelicans/

I don't really see any salaries that they would want to dump. And if their goal is to rebuild, cap shouldn't be a concern
I'm bitter.

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2019, 06:00:24 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
I'd think NOP could get a better deal for Holiday. 

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2019, 06:15:14 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
ORL trades: Markelle Fultz, Timofey Mozgov, and #16 Overall 2019 draft pick to NO for Jrue Holiday

No one wants Fultz....

Real GMs do not have draft binkies that they desperately hope will improve to make them right.  They need results.

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2019, 06:24:04 AM »

Offline celts10

• Jaylen Brown

Nah, it's a 3-way. I tried it and it worked in the ESPN NBA trade machine, sorry if it looked a little confusing in the original post. Apparently, Hollinger's analysis said it improved BOS by +11Wins, NO -14Wins, and ORL +4 Wins. I know we and Orlando want to get better while New Orleans wants to get worse (at least for next season) lol.

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2019, 06:34:30 AM »

Offline mqtcelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 236

Nah, it's a 3-way. I tried it and it worked in the ESPN NBA trade machine, sorry if it looked a little confusing in the original post. Apparently, Hollinger's analysis said it improved BOS by +11Wins, NO -14Wins, and ORL +4 Wins. I know we and Orlando want to get better while New Orleans wants to get worse (at least for next season) lol.

Boston and Orlando interact in absolutely no way. It’s two separate trades, even if you put it together in the trade machine as all 3.

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2019, 06:40:39 AM »

Offline celts10

• Jaylen Brown

Boston and Orlando interact in absolutely no way. It’s two separate trades, even if you put it together in the trade machine as all 3.

Got it. My mistake.

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2019, 11:10:15 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199

This is NOP's cap situation: https://hoopshype.com/salaries/new_orleans_pelicans/

I don't really see any salaries that they would want to dump. And if their goal is to rebuild, cap shouldn't be a concern

Good point. It was Soloman Hill I had in my head but there would be no reason to dump one year of salary. It'd probably end up being the other way around, taking on longer term money for picks.

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2019, 06:42:43 PM »

Offline celts10

• Jaylen Brown

No one wants Fultz....

Everyone said the same thing until Philadelphia traded him. I was torn between Fultz or Bamba in my proposed deal, but I'm not sure the Magic are willing to give up on their own lottery pick in Bamba just quite yet. I thought Jrue Holiday would be a good fit in Orlando and help them build upon their recent postseason taste.

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2019, 07:06:23 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586

What kind of market do you think there is for Holiday?  3 more years at $$26-27m each year, I don't think there's a huge market out there for that.  Good player, but not what teams are looking to give up value for.

Washington just dumped Otto Porter (worse player granted, but similar contract) for a couple of expirings and a protected 2nd.

What are some better hypothetical deals you think might work?

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2019, 04:16:12 PM »

Offline celts10

• Jaylen Brown
What kind of market do you think there is for Holiday?  3 more years at $$26-27m each year, I don't think there's a huge market out there for that.  Good player, but not what teams are looking to give up value for.

A recent report claimed the Suns, Bulls, and Magic are the ones who are most interested. I'm sure he wants to go to a playoff team rather than one on the rebuild.

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2019, 05:24:11 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

Washington just dumped Otto Porter (worse player granted, but similar contract) for a couple of expirings and a protected 2nd.

What are some better hypothetical deals you think might work?
Holiday is much better than Porter.  Holiday brings good offense and can play on or off ball.  He is one of the best defensive players in the league.  He can guard larger wings.  He was a near all-star in the west and NBA players voted him as most underrated player.  Holiday is about to turn 29 so the contract runs through his prime. 

As for the proposed trade Mozgov is filler and Fultz is probably negative value since whoever has him will have to pickup his 12M 4th year option before the season starts.   
I haven't thought of specific trades but the Knicks and Lakers should have interest in him if they can't get AD.  Minny and Miami should as well.  Possibly the Hawks.   

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2019, 05:47:31 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
I like both trades. The 1st one is what I've been saying for months and the second one is good if NO thinks Fultz can be a player. Holiday would be an excellent pickup for Orlando.

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2019, 05:54:33 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Mo bamba is more focused on his rap career these days. Not joking or exaggerating