Author Topic: Tatum efficiency by location  (Read 3324 times)

Tatum efficiency by location
« on: August 03, 2020, 03:19:47 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789

From espn:
“ This season, he has been able to increase both his activity and his efficiency from downtown, making an impressive 39.4% of his 7.1 attempts per game, while simultaneously picking better shots inside the arc. The results are encouraging ...
... but the execution isn't always consistent. In Friday's restart opener against the Bucks and their top-ranked defense, Tatum was frozen, sinking only two of his 18 shots and hurting Boston's ability to steal a win. Then on Sunday vs. Portland, Tatum bounced back with a huge game, scoring 34 points on 22 shots and looking like the best player on the court.

Here's the thing: Boston's bubble fate depends on whether Tatum can play the way he did Sunday against top defenses -- you know, teams such as Milwaukee and Toronto, which rank No. 1 and No. 2 in defensive rating. Tatum has had an incredible season, but he has yet to prove he can do this every night. -- Kirk Goldsberry“

Re: Tatum efficiency by location
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2020, 08:55:45 AM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
Wow he is truly ghastly from the left corner for a shooter with his overall efficiency/volume.
#JKJB

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2020, 10:03:14 AM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
His poor shooting in the paint highlights what I hate about his game. His game is too dependent on his jump shot, which is why he has 5 point games when he's taking 18+ shots. Tatum's game is soft and although he's had success in the past I worry about him in the play-offs moving forward.

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2020, 10:07:55 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
His poor shooting in the paint highlights what I hate about his game. His game is too dependent on his jump shot, which is why he has 5 point games when he's taking 18+ shots. Tatum's game is soft and although he's had success in the past I worry about him in the play-offs moving forward.

TP.  This will keep him from becoming an MVP candidate. 

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2020, 10:44:28 AM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
I have faith that as he continues to fill out, he can become more efficient on the interior. His shooting prowess is what gives him the upside at his size. He will never be Giannis in the interior, but with continued work down there, coupled with his current mind set, he can be amazing.
#JKJB

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2020, 10:53:08 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

I think it's his passing - big time scorers who fail to punish collapsing defences with their threat to score usually aren't MVP calibre players unless they're elite defenders (Tatum is a good one, but I'm not in love with his man defence).
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2020, 11:15:15 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup

I think it's his passing - big time scorers who fail to punish collapsing defences with their threat to score usually aren't MVP calibre players unless they're elite defenders (Tatum is a good one, but I'm not in love with his man defence).

He is just 22 years old and has shown a dedication to working on his game and his body.  I think it's safe to say he has not peaked.
Yup

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2020, 11:36:30 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

He is just 22 years old and has shown a dedication to working on his game and his body.  I think it's safe to say he has not peaked.

Agreed.  23/7/3 while playing excellent defense at 22 years old.  There’s not much to complain about.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2020, 11:47:55 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

unless of course our 22 year old mr. tatum develops more as a player in improves his shooting there. brown's shooting has gotten better with practice and time. so has smart's shooting.

it is too early for me to fret and fuss and stew and worry and be concerned over this right now.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2020, 01:22:25 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald

Absolutely, I think he can be a strong All-NBA player like Pierce for a long time, which is still incredibly valuable.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2020, 01:42:03 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Absolutely, I think he can be a strong All-NBA player like Pierce for a long time, which is still incredibly valuable.

Is there any reason to expect that he cannot improve to at least a Kevin Durant level passer?  He’s already at the level of Kawhi and MVP Dirk. 

The kid took very large jumps in scoring and defense, improved his passing, and maintained his efficiency this season.  If he keeps adding to his game, he could be a top-3 player. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2020, 02:00:25 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
If Tatum *only* lives up to become Paul Pierce, then it'd have to be a mild disappointment.  Pierce should be this kid's floor.  Tatum's a more gifted basketball player.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2020, 02:54:44 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
If Tatum *only* lives up to become Paul Pierce, then it'd have to be a mild disappointment.  Pierce should be this kid's floor.  Tatum's a more gifted basketball player.

After witnessing his 30-40+ point performances in February/March, I fully expect Tatum to be on/above Durant's level or prime Kobe in 1-2 years.

I don't know if it's the kool-aid I'm sipping, but I think he shouldn't be watered down after 5 months of absence. He is fully capable of being on their level.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2020, 11:14:57 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald

Is there any reason to expect that he cannot improve to at least a Kevin Durant level passer?  He’s already at the level of Kawhi and MVP Dirk. 

The kid took very large jumps in scoring and defense, improved his passing, and maintained his efficiency this season.  If he keeps adding to his game, he could be a top-3 player.
I actually think he's below Kawhi and Dirk when it comes to passing, but yeah he could improve to Durant level in the passing department in his best case scenario. I just think it's unreasonable to expect that a player will experience linear growth (or at least keep on making big strides) and hit his ceiling, players like Kawhi are the exception and not the rule when it comes to player development.

I see his statistical jump this season as the byproduct of incremental growth and getting a larger role on offence - not only is he finishing more possessions (usage rate jumped from 22.1 to 28.6), he's also getting more on-ball responsibilities that he should've had last season. The statline is impressive, but I would credit most of that jump to a change in his role rather than him growing as a player. To me his likely outcome is a top 10-15 player rather than a top 3-5 player, which is something to celebrate as All-NBA calibre players don't grow on trees.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2020, 01:01:51 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617

From espn:
“ This season, he has been able to increase both his activity and his efficiency from downtown, making an impressive 39.4% of his 7.1 attempts per game, while simultaneously picking better shots inside the arc. The results are encouraging ...
... but the execution isn't always consistent. In Friday's restart opener against the Bucks and their top-ranked defense, Tatum was frozen, sinking only two of his 18 shots and hurting Boston's ability to steal a win. Then on Sunday vs. Portland, Tatum bounced back with a huge game, scoring 34 points on 22 shots and looking like the best player on the court.

Here's the thing: Boston's bubble fate depends on whether Tatum can play the way he did Sunday against top defenses -- you know, teams such as Milwaukee and Toronto, which rank No. 1 and No. 2 in defensive rating. Tatum has had an incredible season, but he has yet to prove he can do this every night. -- Kirk Goldsberry“

Is is possible to  get a playoff picture of this now that we have a decent sample?

Brad should be pushing the left side of the court non-stop.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.