Author Topic: Are the Knicks serious?  (Read 20791 times)

Re: Are the Knicks serious?
« Reply #45 on: December 07, 2012, 10:48:58 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
But the stats doesn't mean anything when you talking about SCORING ABILITY. Its obvious Carmelo is better

Post moves in the paint: Carmelo is better
3 point shot: Carmelo is better
17 ft shot: Carmelo is better
One on one: Carmelo is better
Cutting: Lebron
Do you care about how many pretty ways Carmelo can score more than how often he does it in the game (and gets points for his team)?

Is Big Al a better scorer than Shaq/Howard? He certainly has a better 18 foot jumpshot, "refined post game", and free throw shooting on both of them.

« Reply #46 on: December 07, 2012, 10:52:12 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
They're better then us presently. And they have more potential too. Bad matchup for us also. I want no part of them in a 7 game series.
Why is New York a bad matchup for Boston?
Yeah New York doesn't seem bad for the C's if the C's get things together.

Carmelo at the 4 is a problem, but Chandler doesn't demand attention from KG so he can roam. Meanwhile Terry can be hid on Jason Kid as much as we'd like and they're not a team that will pile up offensive boards on the C's.

« Reply #47 on: December 07, 2012, 10:57:38 AM »

Offline ctrey

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 110
They're better then us presently. And they have more potential too. Bad matchup for us also. I want no part of them in a 7 game series.

Carmelo at the 4 is a problem, but Chandler doesn't demand attention from KG so he can roam. Meanwhile Terry can be hid on Jason Kid as much as we'd like and they're not a team that will pile up offensive boards on the C's.

We are nearly twenty games in and lets face it, we are not getting by New York or Miami. If the playoffs started today we would play Miami in the first round. Early "Gone Fishin'" for the Celtics.

« Reply #48 on: December 07, 2012, 10:58:52 AM »

Offline OsirusCeltics

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 198
But the stats doesn't mean anything when you talking about SCORING ABILITY. Its obvious Carmelo is better

Do you care about how many pretty ways Carmelo can score more than how often he does it in the game (and gets points for his team)?

Is Big Al a better scorer than Shaq/Howard? He certainly has a better 18 foot jumpshot, "refined post game", and free throw shooting on both of them.

Yeah ask Dwight Howard about his lack of "pretty" ways he scores in the paint, and see if his deficiencies helps him score in the clutch moments in the 4th quarter

« Reply #49 on: December 07, 2012, 12:08:02 PM »

Offline soap07

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 145
Yeah ask Dwight Howard about his lack of "pretty" ways he scores in the paint, and see if his deficiencies helps him score in the clutch moments in the 4th quarter

I've read this a couple times and I'm not sure what this has to do with anything.

« Reply #50 on: December 07, 2012, 12:13:15 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

We are nearly twenty games in and lets face it, we are not getting by New York or Miami. If the playoffs started today we would play Miami in the first round. Early "Gone Fishin'" for the Celtics.

It all goes back to small ball. If we try to match up against Miamis line up with James at the 4 and Knicks line up with Melo at the 4, we get toasted. We need to point out their weaknesses and hit them in the paint and in the interior.

Yes Ny has Chandler but if they put Melo at the four we can expose that by playing a traditional lineup. We arent athletic enough with KG, and Pierce to out run the small ball lineups they have.

« Reply #51 on: December 07, 2012, 12:13:28 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

Dwight has an actual problem with the late fourth quarter situations because of his free throw shooting.

LeBron has no such problems over his career, and since you didn't actually answer my question I'll assume you prefer "skillset" to production.

If Carmelo is a better scorer why does he score less and score less efficiently?

« Reply #52 on: December 07, 2012, 12:34:05 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401

It all goes back to small ball. If we try to match up against Miamis line up with James at the 4 and Knicks line up with Melo at the 4, we get toasted. We need to point out their weaknesses and hit them in the paint and in the interior.

Yes Ny has Chandler but if they put Melo at the four we can expose that by playing a traditional lineup. We arent athletic enough with KG, and Pierce to out run the small ball lineups they have.

They can't. There isn't enough big man talent on this team outside of KG to do that.

Boston's best chance is matching up and playing small.

If they had better big men around Garnett, playing big would be a good option ... but they don't.

« Reply #53 on: December 07, 2012, 12:53:09 PM »

Offline OsirusCeltics

• Bailey Howell

Dwight has an actual problem with the late fourth quarter situations because of his free throw shooting.

LeBron has no such problems over his career, and since you didn't actually answer my question I'll assume you prefer "skillset" to production.

If Carmelo is a better scorer why does he score less and score less efficiently?

I did answer it Carmelo has better production. But better production doesn't equate a team producing wins, you know that right? Like Michael Redd scoring 57 points in a loss because his team sucks

Its obvious his efficiency is lower when you are basically the only consistent scorer putting up points for your team for so many years. Look at those "lowly" Cavs teams Lebron was on. He had a plethora of scoring options on his team. Maybe Iverson, JR Smith, and Billups were the only scorers Carmelo ever had before he came to the Knicks

Paul Pierce's efficiency improved when the Big 3 came, and why is that? Because he had alot more help with the scoring load

Free throw shooting has nothing to do with problems with late game production. Just ask Shaq. He said it himself, if you dominate with the "pretty skillset" as you say, free throw shooting doesn't matter as much as you think

Why in almost 10 years of playing, Lebron still doesn't have a consistent 17 ft jumpshoot as a perimeter player? Or even basic post moves in the paint? It's those skillset moves that get you out of trouble when the defense is tight and the game slows down (AKA the last 5 min of the 4th quarter)

« Reply #54 on: December 07, 2012, 01:22:05 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962

It's not about frequency he's talking about versatility.  If LeBron went out there and took 40 shots a night and averaged 50 like Wilt that wouldn't change his scoring ABILITY.  Teammates and quality of looks and the other thousand variables during a 48 minute game are never going to allow you to compare any way other than subjectively.  One way I personally think makes a lot of sense is to look at who's better at scoring when they have to, under pressure, when they're trying their hardest to put the ball through the net (aka in the clutch).

Carmelo isn't a better scorer because he's more makes a higher percentage of shot attempts, he's a better scorer because he's better from everywhere on the court.  He takes and makes harder shots than LeBron.  He pulls up for more jump shots to make the defense pay for cheating.  Taking less efficient shots hurts your numbers but it doesn't say everything about your scoring ability. 

Carmelo is harder to stop from scoring.  LeBron is harder to stop period because you have to account for his passing.  If you think that makes him a better "scorer" than Carmelo or Durant I just don't see it.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #55 on: December 07, 2012, 01:27:36 PM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134

But they don't, so really there's no point in looking at who's playing great NOW. All that matters is who has their act together come playoff time.

« Reply #56 on: December 07, 2012, 01:38:31 PM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175
I feel better knowing the same guy who thinks Chris Paul is the be all end all best point guard and Rondo is nowhere even close by any measure thinks carmelo Anthony is better than lebron James and one potential mvp (after the knicks won without him no less) would prove it. Nothing points to him winning that award over lebron anyways. Come on man. Lebron is a tier above Carmelo Anthony and always has been but yes the knocks are serious as they proved without carmelo last night.

« Reply #57 on: December 07, 2012, 02:35:45 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

They can't. There isn't enough big man talent on this team outside of KG to do that.

Boston's best chance is matching up and playing small.

If they had better big men around Garnett, playing big would be a good option ... but they don't.

Right, which is why we need to make a trade to do so.

« Reply #58 on: December 07, 2012, 04:21:16 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
I don't think any team that relies too much on the three is legitimate.  If they can't hit threes they are not winning, and in the playoffs that happens, both because slumps will happen especially on the road and the defense will step up.

They took 41 threes against the Bobcats and won by 2.  I do not think that is acceptable shot selection.

Oh wow 20 whole games!?!

Are you a Celtics fan?  Did you see last year?
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 04:55:32 PM by Snakehead »
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #59 on: December 07, 2012, 04:54:40 PM »

Offline OsirusCeltics

• Bailey Howell
I don't think any team that relies too much on the three is legitimate.  If they can't hit threes they are not winning, and in the playoffs that happens, both because slumps will happen especially on the road and the defense will step up.
They took 41 threes against the Bobcats and won by 2.

Oh wow 20 whole games!?!

Are you a Celtics fan?  Did you see last year?

Better yet, did he see that 2009-2010 season?