Author Topic: CelticsBlog HOF: Year 1 (2004)  (Read 34989 times)

CelticsBlog HOF: Year 1 (2004)
« on: June 30, 2009, 07:17:40 AM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
Anyone here remember the original days back in 2004?  Be honest.  I'm pretty sure there were only a few hundred people that knew about the site at all in the earliest days.

Here are my inductees

hagrid - Original co-author and fellow mod from back in the FanHome days.

First CB post ever
http://celticsrant.blogspot.com/2004/03/back-to-future.html

The Boston.com Chat Room Migration - This was what got things really going here.  The Globe had a chat room that was pretty popular with several diehards like myself and Master PO.  They announced that they'd be shutting the place down.  Panic ensued.  I tinkered with some java-based chat room plug-ins and added the chat to CelticsBlog and invited everyone to migrate over.  Instant fanbase.  One of my proudest strategic moves.

Year 1 Anniversary Posts

http://celticsblog.wordpress.com/2005/03/30/top-10-moments-in-celticsblog-history-part-i/

http://celticsblog.wordpress.com/2005/03/31/top-10-moments-in-celticsblog-history-part-ii/
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

Re: CelticsBlog HOF: Year 1 (2004)
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2009, 07:36:39 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Ahhhh the good ole days when Jiri Welsch and Marcus banks were young talent we just couldn't trade, Mark Blount was an inside presence we would miss if shipped out and Chucky Atkins was the best pick and roll PG in recent memory.

Amazing what five years can do. Great great stuff Jeff. Thanks for getting this rolling.

And if I could be so bold I would like to nominate one Jeff Clark for Celticsblog HOF by general membership acclaim for his contributions in developing and creating of the greatest professional sports blog in the world!

Do I have anyone that would second this motion?

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2009, 07:56:41 AM »

Offline rickyfan3.0...

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 110
I am not HOF material due to the infrequent amount I am on here, but I deserve an honorable mention for making you the first blog in the country that we were getting KG (thusly winning Banner #17)

Besides that though I am a dink and deserve no mention.

Great job Jeff.

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2009, 08:06:04 AM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • ranter
I am not HOF material due to the infrequent amount I am on here, but I deserve an honorable mention for making you the first blog in the country that we were getting KG (thusly winning Banner #17)

Besides that though I am a dink and deserve no mention.

Great job Jeff.

a) we'll get to that when we get to 2007
b) that post is both self promoting and self deprecating at the same time - well done!

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2009, 08:17:05 AM »

Offline wil

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 88
Ahhhh the good ole days when Jiri Welsch and Marcus banks were young talent we just couldn't trade, Mark Blount was an inside presence we would miss if shipped out and Chucky Atkins was the best pick and roll PG in recent memory.

Amazing what five years can do. Great great stuff Jeff. Thanks for getting this rolling.

And if I could be so bold I would like to nominate one Jeff Clark for Celticsblog HOF by general membership acclaim for his contributions in developing and creating of the greatest professional sports blog in the world!

I'll certainly second that motion. 

Is there any way to find out the date you originally joined CB?  I know we're on, what 5.0 now?  but I am pretty sure I've been here since b4 the Tony Allen draft, so now I'm thinking I might have been on the Blog in its infancy, and didn't know it.  That makes me happy since this Blog has been such a big part of my life for a long time now.  Thank you so much Jeff and all the others that keep this thing running smoothly. 

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2009, 08:22:55 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I think Jeff's inductees are perfect, with the exception of the one guy he left out:  himself.

Even though hagrid and I weren't on the staff together for very long, I definitely picked up a lot of my moderation techniques from him.  He was a great example to learn from.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2009, 08:24:58 AM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155
When did the forums come into play?
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2009, 08:30:53 AM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • ranter
When did the forums come into play?

good question - here's the answer (November of 2004)

http://celticsblog.wordpress.com/2004/11/24/question-to-readers/

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2009, 09:05:17 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
wow here i thought i was a wiley ol' vet and i'm only 2006. just makes me wonder what took me so long -- staying on top of the Cs in those days was a true hassle -- hoping some sucker at ESPN would have a source and refreshing the globe page every 10 minutes.

thanks, guys.

Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2009, 09:52:51 AM »

Offline youcanthandlethetruth113

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 153

I 2nd the motion.

The 2004 days were great.

I'm sad with what happened to my old account. I think when the new look took over and joined the SB Nation I had to create a new account.
"Perk is not an alley-oop guy" - Tommy Heinson - Feb 27th 2008 vs. Cleveland

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2009, 10:47:47 AM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
I think Jeff's inductees are perfect, with the exception of the one guy he left out:  himself.

Even though hagrid and I weren't on the staff together for very long, I definitely picked up a lot of my moderation techniques from him.  He was a great example to learn from.
me too
he even moderate ME ( imagine  :P , lol, i should be moderated more often..) once i try to point at him, calling a moding against me personal.
I love when people show me I am wrong
when I am wrong
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2009, 10:53:59 AM »

Offline biggs

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71
Yes Jeff,  I remember the old days.  I used to be on the boston.com chat room all the time in the summer, and someone turned me onto celticsblog within the chat, the rest is history.  Hey I'm glad you mentioned him because what ever happened to Hagrid?  He was great.  RickyD fan, remember you.  I still remember getting a confirmation email from jeff way back when, and was like who's this Jeff guy? he's not even from Boston?  ;)  Now Jeff is the heralded mafia don of the family and should be.  Big shot out to the old schoolers that are still on these boards, because there are not enough familiar names from past.  Jeff is my only friend on the board :-[ ?  Just kidding.  The new community is pretty great, and the new mods to a good job.
Truuuuuuuuuth!

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2009, 10:55:03 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

me too
he even moderate ME ( imagine  :P , lol, i should be moderated more often..) once i try to point at him, calling a moding against me personal.
when I am wrong
You were once wrong, Edgar. No lo creo que si. Not you.

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2009, 12:07:50 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!

me too
when I am wrong
You were once wrong, Edgar. No lo creo que si. Not you.

Imagine.... :P

And to add something, hagrids eye was pretty scaring too....
so it makes u behave... ;D
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2009, 12:20:07 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
What year did the C's re-acquire Toine?  I'm pretty sure that was how I found this place.  I needed the info!

As for the inductee ideas I stand by Jeff's opinion on these (with the exception of his humble self exclusion). 

I also think it works nicely to start with the Class of `04 as we have a 5 year period to judge that no one goes Madoff on us or anything  ;) .

So, where do we from here in terms of some sort of official statement or home for this?
Yup