Poll

Do you think Kahwi Leonard comes to Boston?

Yes
14 (15.9%)
No
74 (84.1%)

Total Members Voted: 88

Voting closed: June 29, 2018, 11:30:27 PM

Author Topic: Kawhi Leonard (Merged Threads)  (Read 119311 times)

Re: Here we go..Leonard wants out of SA...
« Reply #105 on: June 15, 2018, 03:50:37 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I think many people have independently looked at the Sixers roster and came up with the same no-brainer trade:   Covington + Fultz + #10 for Kawhi.   Gonna be tough to beat that.

« Reply #106 on: June 15, 2018, 03:52:55 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 637
  • MASTER OF PANIC
I think many people have independently looked at the Sixers roster and came up with the same no-brainer trade:   Covington + Fultz + #10 for Kawhi.   Gonna be tough to beat that.

Brown + 2019 pick trumps that deal. Fultz is a nothing at this point. Covington is spot up shooter with a bloated salary.

« Reply #107 on: June 15, 2018, 03:53:50 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

What? That offer isn't even that good...
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #108 on: June 15, 2018, 03:54:32 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907
Look on the bright side: No matter what happens with Kawhi, we're probably done with the "three new LeBron threads on CB every day" trend.

Mike

« Reply #109 on: June 15, 2018, 03:55:14 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

Fultz is still an elite prospect.  Youngest player ever to have a triple double.

« Reply #110 on: June 15, 2018, 03:55:16 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 306

Jaylen Brown and a Chipotle coupon would be a far better deal for Spurs.

« Reply #111 on: June 15, 2018, 03:56:19 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

Fultz is still an elite prospect.  Youngest player ever to have a triple double.

This is great work by you. They should also find a way to get Alex Peters.

« Reply #112 on: June 15, 2018, 03:58:19 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 306
If Danny gives up anything significant for him, he has to be ultra confident in resigning him. You can't give up Jaylen Brown for a one year rental of anyone. Risk seems too great, IMO.

« Reply #113 on: June 15, 2018, 03:59:26 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Kevin O'Connor

Verified account

@KevinOConnorNBA
 51s52 seconds ago
More
Expect the the Sixers, Celtics, Lakers and Clippers to be the main four teams pursuing Kawhi Leonard, per sources. Teams with top picks could always jump into the sweepstakes, but the risk would be significant considering Leonard has just one more season left on his contract.

0 replies 2 retweets 0 likes

We can dream, but one of his biggest beefs was his shoe contract being small from being in a small market. For selling shoes he is not going to think Boston or Philly has a chance of changing that.
Hasn't Kyrie's shoe line done awesome since coming to Boston?

« Reply #114 on: June 15, 2018, 04:00:22 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
It was reported months ago that Kawhi was upset that lesser players get bigger shoe deals than he does.  So, he wants exposure.

Under those circumstances, LA and NYK make sense, even if I'd argue that winning is the best exposure.
It has nothing to do with city with Leonard, it is him.  He is just a boring quiet player.  Sure, he probably gets a bigger deal in NY or LA, but he still won't get as big as he could because of his personality.  Westbrook has done just fine in Oklahoma City.  James did just fine in Cleveland.  etc.

It doesn't matter if it is actually true, it matters if Leonard thinks it is true. And it really seems like he does.

« Reply #115 on: June 15, 2018, 04:00:25 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 637
  • MASTER OF PANIC
If Danny gives up anything significant for him, he has to be ultra confident in resigning him. You can't give up Jaylen Brown for a one year rental of anyone. Risk seems too great, IMO.

Don't think you can give up Brown, picks unless you know for sure Leonard resigns in Boston...too much risk

« Reply #116 on: June 15, 2018, 04:02:01 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

Nah, that's just the Sixers fan in you.

At this point, Murray (who himself is only 21) looks like the far superior prospect to Fultz. #10 in this draft is not really that great of a pick. Just look at the names available. Covington is a nice 3 and D player, but his vanishing act in the playoffs/sheer inability to put the ball on the floor probably raised concerns across the league.

« Reply #117 on: June 15, 2018, 04:05:15 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Kevin O'Connor

Verified account

@KevinOConnorNBA
 51s52 seconds ago
More
Expect the the Sixers, Celtics, Lakers and Clippers to be the main four teams pursuing Kawhi Leonard, per sources. Teams with top picks could always jump into the sweepstakes, but the risk would be significant considering Leonard has just one more season left on his contract.

0 replies 2 retweets 0 likes

We can dream, but one of his biggest beefs was his shoe contract being small from being in a small market. For selling shoes he is not going to think Boston or Philly has a chance of changing that.
Hasn't Kyrie's shoe line done awesome since coming to Boston?

It's always been doing well, although Kyrie 2 and 3 are the best frequently used models, and most comfortable I might say, this is when he was in Cleveland. Kyrie's and Paul George's shoes have been the top selling shoes, and most NBA players 'preferred,' sneakers to wear.

Which is funny, because Jaylen Brown alone blows Covington/Fultz out the water, but sure keep prodding about useless stats like that actually matters when Fultz has played 14 games.

I consider Fultz a elite prospect too, but doesn't mean his value is anywhere near his at draft day.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #118 on: June 15, 2018, 04:06:40 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 866
  • GOT IT!!!
The C's are missing that one mid tier salary to make the trade more balanced. Every young player  outside of Tatum would be gone. Think a third team would have to get involved. Then again Ainge may just say here we're going all in and fill out the depth with ring chasing vets.

« Reply #119 on: June 15, 2018, 04:06:57 PM »

Offline Ed Hollison

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 195
The whole saga is a reminder of why I, an NBA fan since the mid-80s, finds this league hard to enjoy.

You can do everything right as a franchise and still come up short. The Lakers have been one of the worst-run teams in the league for years, they've been awful at managing the cap, have a huge amount of dead money on their cap. So what? Three of the right guys decide they like the idea of living in Southern California, and voila! All that is forgotten. Doesn't matter.

I thought the league was kind of moving past this, but I guess not. Remember when Lamarcus Aldridge had a free agent meeting with the Lakers and they pitched him on marketing and endorsements and stuff, and hardly anything about basketball? He chose the Spurs instead, the best-run organization in the NBA. Basically the most glamorous places -- LA and NY -- have struck out in free agency in recent years, and most people interpreted it as "guys are prioritizing winning and well-run franchises". Well, maybe we got ahead of ourselves.

What we've got here is a cycle where the teams show no loyalty to the players, and the players show no loyalty to the teams. If you were Kyrie Irving and you'd just seen Isaiah Thomas summarily dumped by the team he carried to the ECF on the weight of a bum hip, wouldn't you be a little cautious?

The way out of this mess is to shift your priorities to draft picks and guys on rookie deals. The only way you can guarantee that an elite player will stay with your club in the long-run is to sign him as a rookie and max him out when he becomes a restricted free agency 5 years later. Something to think about before we trade away Jaylen or, God forbid, Tatum.
"A thought of hatred must be destroyed by a more powerful thought of love."

http://fruittreeblog.com