Author Topic: My First Foray Into Rap (please tell me what you think)  (Read 12644 times)

Re: My First Foray Into Rap (please tell me what you think)
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2009, 07:29:06 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
EDIT: oh, and Jsaad too for recommending MacJams.

Add me as a friend.

I produced and recorded this sometime in 2006. Sampled Europe, man on fire and recorded Joe B Won. Let me know what you guys think:

http://www.macjams.com/song/49101

« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2009, 09:37:40 PM »

Offline Rondo_is_better

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 495
  • R.I.P. Nate Dogg
Jsaad, that song is hot.

Are you Joe B Won or is that a different person?

Also, what program do you use to make your beats?
Grab a few boards, keep the TO's under 14, close out on shooters and we'll win.

« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2009, 12:12:33 AM »

Offline BigDanz2000

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 33
I wasnt feeling it, but that does not mean it was not good.  I just have a different taste in rap.  I think that once you refine your voice and your lyrics evolve, I think you will have something better that what you have now.  Just my opinion. 

My boy Nickel writes and produces his own stuff.  Check him out, his voice is on point and his lyrics hit.  www.spotmeanickel.com 

Maybe he could be of some influence.

good luck brother.

« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2009, 08:49:20 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
Jsaad, that song is hot.

Joe B Won is my boy. I produced that beat (chopped it, sped it and added percussion) and recorded it using a protools set-up.

I've now moved on to Logic. What are you using?

« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2009, 08:51:54 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
Jsaad, that song is hot.

Joe B Won is my boy. I produced that beat (chopped it, sped it and added percussion) and recorded it using a protools set-up.

I also started using protools but have since moved to logic pro.  Its alot easier to use in my opinion and easier to manipulate things. 
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2009, 08:57:33 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
Jsaad, that song is hot.

I also started using protools but have since moved to logic pro.  Its alot easier to use in my opinion and easier to manipulate things. 

I agree. I also switched for hardware compatibility reasons, Avid/Digidesign (pro-tools) just didn't allow the same crossover.

« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2009, 09:00:22 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
Gotcha gotcha, I also find the plugins to be alot more practical for Logic.  I know alot of the plugins that we had for protools were just never used.  Whereas I find myself using alot for logic. 
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2009, 09:26:29 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
Gotcha gotcha, I also find the plugins to be alot more practical for Logic.  I know alot of the plugins that we had for protools were just never used.  Whereas I find myself using alot for logic. 

Yeah and that's the other thing too, soooooo many free plugins for Logic/Garageband are available for free. It's great.

Have you re-posted Rondo2287?

« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2009, 09:30:21 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones

Yeah and that's the other thing too, soooooo many free plugins for Logic/Garageband are available for free. It's great.

No not yet, ill try and do that tonight.  Im mad its not working though, it worked on my mac at home yesterday but isnt working here.  But ya, ill repost today when I get home and then bump the thread. 

« Reply #39 on: September 30, 2009, 09:30:58 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
I wasnt feeling it, but that does not mean it was not good.  I just have a different taste in rap.  I think that once you refine your voice and your lyrics evolve, I think you will have something better that what you have now.  Just my opinion. 

My boy Nickel writes and produces his own stuff.  Check him out, his voice is on point and his lyrics hit.  www.spotmeanickel.com 

Maybe he could be of some influence.

good luck brother.

Yup. This guy is good. Being from NYC might hurt though.

« Reply #40 on: September 30, 2009, 09:31:56 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey

No not yet, ill try and do that tonight.  Im mad its not working though, it worked on my mac at home yesterday but isnt working here.  But ya, ill repost today when I get home and then bump the thread. 

Cool. I don't limited myself to only hip-hop so I'm looking forward to checking it out.

« Reply #41 on: September 30, 2009, 09:36:18 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones

Cool. I don't limited myself to only hip-hop so I'm looking forward to checking it out.

Ya Ill upload everything I did.  One is a techno pop song done in logic, two afrobeat songs, one original and one cover of the song, "Expensive Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline." and then I have a cover that I did of the song, "Just a friend," by Biz Markie, that I recorded using only outboard equipment, and an 8 track tape.  No computer in otherwords, its not as good but it took soooo long that im pretty proud of it.

« Reply #42 on: September 30, 2009, 05:38:37 PM »

Offline Rondo_is_better

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 495
  • R.I.P. Nate Dogg
Jsaad, that song is hot.

I'm just using Garageband, man. It came on my laptop. I haven't purchased anything for my music--just Garageband, the internal microphone, and software instruments.
Grab a few boards, keep the TO's under 14, close out on shooters and we'll win.

« Reply #43 on: October 01, 2009, 09:53:54 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Loved the background music. Very relaxing. The lyrics are meaningless.

« Reply #44 on: October 01, 2009, 10:27:22 PM »

Offline feckless

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 93
Why is so much of rap misogynistic, just always been curious why demeaning, and talking about using women, often violently, is such a major part of rap?  Or am I just listening to the wrong people?
Days up and down they come, like rain on a conga drum, forget most, remember some, don't turn none away.   Townes Van Zandt