Author Topic: The Mars Volta  (Read 13106 times)

Re: The Mars Volta
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2008, 07:44:46 PM »

Offline vw pirate

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 9
Never saw the mars volta, but i did see at the drive in a bunch back in the late 90's, middle east upstairs even. 

I am not a huge volta fan i prefer Sparta, the other band that spawned from at the drive in.  Sparta is a lot closer to to ATDI, so if you liked themn and have not heard sparta chek them out, i saw then only once but it was you know like all the other bands i honestly wasnt paying attention when they were on.

funny thing is that at the drive in broke up cuz they were getting too big and didnt like it.  It was after relationship in command came out on capitol records.

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2008, 07:51:37 PM »

Offline vw pirate

• The Green Kornet
Actually just re-reading the thread.

Gainsville celtic, i assume you live in gainsvilee, if so you are quite lucky to have such a great music scene down there.

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2008, 10:31:14 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
It seems like whenever I post about one of my non-basketball interests in the off topic forum, at least a few people know what I'm talking about

So any Mars Volta fans? I just watched these dudes absolutely kill it in Providence.

I think 10-15 years from now, when younger kids start picking up Volta albums and the band develops a posthumous following, I'll be bragging up getting the chance the see them play.

Volta fans, what's up

right on, blaze.  They hit up the local clubs here in San Diego quite a bit, and get lots of support from the local radio station (check it out, they rock:  http://www.fm949sd.com/home/index.cfm )

« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2008, 10:59:24 PM »

Offline ThreadCrasher

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 26
I wouldn't call this "emo".
I would call it "rawk"!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQMXP1nmBD8&feature=related

The 70's called and they want Pink Floyd back.

Really though, it's ok...a little pretentious.

« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2008, 12:14:45 AM »

Offline blazingarrow

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 45
I would call it "rawk"!

Music isn't pretentious. People are.

If you've ever watched TMV play live, they're anything but. It's really obvious that they are having fun up there, smiling, and improvising.

They take song composition very seriously, and the act of playing those songs with a grain of salt.

Look at Cedric. If anything, he reminds me of Freddie Mercury.

As for the Pink Floyd thing, I don't see anything wrong with someone picking up that mantle and taking it to the next level.

Not to mention that Floyd never played with as much Spanish flavor and rhythm, so the Floyd argument is kind of moot.

I'm not sure where you're getting the pretentious thing from

« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2008, 12:31:09 AM »

Offline blackbird

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 64
I'm pretty sure that song could send bi-polar folks into acute manic psychosis. The jarring unpleasantness of it is Stravinsky-esque.

I like Otis Redding.

I'm old.

« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2008, 03:11:08 AM »

Offline nica_sainz

• Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 1
I saw them live in Madrid 5 years ago and they were pretty good. If you like them maybe you should have a look at their previous band called "at the drive in".

« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2008, 03:46:16 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
I'm pretty sure that song could send bi-polar folks into acute manic psychosis. The jarring unpleasantness of it is Stravinsky-esque.

I like Otis Redding.

I'm old.

Well, Otis is from a time when pop was good.
Nowadays pop is just BS and people eat it
happily. It sucks.
I'm actually still discovering music from
the 60s and 70s. There's so much great stuff
out there. And oh, did I mention I almost
never listen to the radio? Thank goodness
I still have a choice whether to "tune in"
or in this case, "tune out"  ;)

« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2008, 09:42:38 AM »

Offline ThreadCrasher

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 26
I would call it "rawk"!

Music isn't pretentious. People are.

If you've ever watched TMV play live, they're anything but. It's really obvious that they are having fun up there, smiling, and improvising.

They take song composition very seriously, and the act of playing those songs with a grain of salt.

Look at Cedric. If anything, he reminds me of Freddie Mercury.

As for the Pink Floyd thing, I don't see anything wrong with someone picking up that mantle and taking it to the next level.

Not to mention that Floyd never played with as much Spanish flavor and rhythm, so the Floyd argument is kind of moot.

I'm not sure where you're getting the pretentious thing from

Pretentious: Making or marked by an extravagant outward show; ostentatious. See Synonyms at showy.

Queen is an apt comparison too, imho.  Suprised you'd take the Pink Floyd comparison like an insult.  Every generation has its band that plays 15 minute, over-produced, over-written, theory driven songs outside of the main stream of music. Doesn't mean they aren't good, just that they aren't that original...genre-wise, not musical influence-wise.

« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2008, 10:41:30 AM »

Offline Gainesville Celtic

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1331
  • Ainge *still* has a Posse! Ubuntu Y'all

Gainsville celtic, i assume you live in gainsvilee, if so you are quite lucky to have such a great music scene down there.

Yes I do and yes we are  ;D  ---- you got any Gville faves?  I could make you jealous about shows i've seen.
GC's Yahoo! H2h League: Gainesville Celtics: 2014, 2016, 2017 Champs!

GC's Yahoo! H2h League permanent website (offseason roster, constitution, etc.) * Lucky was framed!

« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2008, 10:53:11 AM »

Offline BrickJames

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 185
  • Master Mason
It seems like whenever I post about one of my non-basketball interests in the off topic forum, at least a few people know what I'm talking about

So any Mars Volta fans? I just watched these dudes absolutely kill it in Providence.

I think 10-15 years from now, when younger kids start picking up Volta albums and the band develops a posthumous following, I'll be bragging up getting the chance the see them play.

Volta fans, what's up

my screen name since 2000 has been volta based, after atdi broke up.

they are one of the most talented bands out there today.  it sucked when jon theodore left because he's one of my favorite drummers of all time.

i still think deloused and their tremulant ep was their best work - they should revert to their roots.  i guess they can't w/o jeremy...
God bless and good night!

« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2008, 10:55:59 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan

« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2008, 12:37:29 PM »

Offline BrickJames

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 185
  • Master Mason
and a TP for you :)
God bless and good night!

« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2008, 01:20:23 PM »

Offline carlherrera

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 3
I like TMV and they rock live but I just couldn't get that into them... The first time I heard them I thought of Radio Head on acid... I think its the prog rock influence that turns me off a bit. In anyh case, there is no question that they are extremely talented and original :)

BlazingArrow, Brick, Amager, and others: do you like Devotchka? (I "discovered" both bands at around the same time).

« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2008, 03:18:21 PM »

Offline vw pirate

• The Green Kornet

Yes I do and yes we are  ;D  ---- you got any Gville faves?  I could make you jealous about shows i've seen.

Well my favorite band is Still Hot Water Music, i cant seam to grow out of it.  I thought Palatka was amazing, got to play with them a few times and they were so tight it blew my mind. 12 hour turn(think they were from J-ville though) **** parade was good, i liked discount alot.  i mean there was a lot and i feel like im going away from the subject of the thread so ill stop.  Feel free to PM me though.