Author Topic: The Mars Volta  (Read 13105 times)

The Mars Volta
« on: September 15, 2008, 11:24:54 PM »

Offline blazingarrow

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 45
It seems like whenever I post about one of my non-basketball interests in the off topic forum, at least a few people know what I'm talking about

So any Mars Volta fans? I just watched these dudes absolutely kill it in Providence.

I think 10-15 years from now, when younger kids start picking up Volta albums and the band develops a posthumous following, I'll be bragging up getting the chance the see them play.

Volta fans, what's up

Re: The Mars Volta
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2008, 12:19:26 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I agree they are awesome. I missed their concert in Boston and I'm not happy about it? What did they start with? What did they do for their encore?
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2008, 12:46:42 AM »

Offline blazingarrow

• Al Horford
They opened with an extended version of Goliath.

I really like this lineup. It seems like there was a lot of improvising, and there's points where they vamp on parts of their songs but you forget what song they're even playing.

The new drummer is also not human. I don't know how the hell someone can play like that.

No encore, but I got my money's worth.

TP for being a fan as well.

Now I'm wondering if there are any fans of my other favorite non hip hop groups on this forum.

Clutch and High on Fire fans, speak up.

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2008, 01:02:05 AM »

Offline blazingarrow

• Al Horford
Suprise of the night

They played Widow as the next to last song. I remember that being their radio single a while back, but they usually don't play it because it's so low energy.

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2008, 01:58:33 AM »

Offline Tnerb02

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 18
I just looked them up on youtube, way too emo for me.

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2008, 03:48:13 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
Count me in!
About five years ago I read
a review of De-Loused in the
Comatorium, where the journalist
said that this would be the record
of the year. Of course I had to go
and buy it. I was not disappointed.
Being a fan of eclectic music like
Primus, Mr Bungle and others, TMV were
just to my liking and still are. I love
it when bands have the cojones to make
songs that are longer than the usual
three minute radio edits.

I saw TMV in February here in Copenhagen
and it was just a great gig.
So, yeah, count me in  :)

I just looked them up on youtube, way too emo for me.

Emo?! Please...

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2008, 05:45:30 AM »

Offline jackson_34

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 166
Big fan, saw them in Sydney in June, and back in early 2006 while Jon Theodore was still their drummer.

People who have seem them recently; did you notice the band basically looking in awe of their new drummer (Thomas Pridgen)?

Here's a fact for you Bostonians, he went to Berkley school of music in Boston. Plus he's the youngest drummer ever to get an endorsement by Zildjian (at the age of 14).

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2008, 05:58:12 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • A Celtic Fan
I wouldn't call this "emo".
I would call it "rawk"!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQMXP1nmBD8&feature=related

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2008, 07:44:40 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
I wouldn't call this "emo".
I would call it "rawk"!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQMXP1nmBD8&feature=related

i liked the song, and im not a across the board emo hater, but in the defense of person who said this is emo...they do sound a bit 30 seconds to mars'ish.

very good tune though, and as i said, i don't mind bands with a bit of emo influence so long as there not just whining in high pitched voices about ex girlfriends for entire albums.

These guys don't seem to fall into that trap, so i'll probley give the rest of thier stuff a listen.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2008, 07:46:08 AM »

Offline jojowhite10

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 49
Have to say, At The Drive-In is definitely a better band. If you like Mars Volta and don't know who At The Drive-In is, definitely give them a listen. And then reconsider the fact that you are a Mars Volta fan.

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2008, 09:44:05 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
Have to say, At The Drive-In is definitely a better band. If you like Mars Volta and don't know who At The Drive-In is, definitely give them a listen. And then reconsider the fact that you are a Mars Volta fan.

or go ahead and liek both bands  ;)
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2008, 10:42:23 AM »

Offline jojowhite10

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 49

haha I reread my post and realized that it made little sense. I meant that if you are a Mars Volta fan and you haven't ever heard of At The Drive-In then you probably aren't that big of a fan. I promote enjoying both bands.

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2008, 11:36:14 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • A Celtic Fan

haha I reread my post and realized that it made little sense. I meant that if you are a Mars Volta fan and you haven't ever heard of At The Drive-In then you probably aren't that big of a fan. I promote enjoying both bands.

I've heard of them but I haven't
heard their music.
Can I still call myself a TMV fan?  ;)

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2008, 11:44:54 AM »

Offline Gainesville Celtic

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1331
  • Ainge *still* has a Posse! Ubuntu Y'all

I really liked ATDI  --- Relationship of Command is one of my top 20-30 records of this decade and "Rascuache" off Vaya is one of the greatest songs ever IMO --- and was bummed that I never got to see them live; but have never been able to get much into Mars Volta, their music is too (don't know another word here) "weird".... maybe i'm a lazy music listener but too much of the stuff i've heard from them is dischordant and confusing.  I liked some of what i heard on "Deloused" but i listed to "Frances the Mute" the whole way through on a ride home from Orlando once and couldn't make it through the whole thing. :(

that said, I'm really looking forward to seeing them at this year's Austin City Limits Festival (anyone else going?) .... they're really talented, they just haven't been engaging enough for me to see them on their own.  maybe i'll become a convert.
GC's Yahoo! H2h League: Gainesville Celtics: 2014, 2016, 2017 Champs!

GC's Yahoo! H2h League permanent website (offseason roster, constitution, etc.) * Lucky was framed!

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2008, 06:49:09 PM »

Offline blazingarrow

• Al Horford

ATDI played with a lot more intensity, I'll give you that.

I think Volta takes it to another level though. The musicians Cedric and Omar hook up with are a lot more talented, and they're breaking a lot more ground in terms of what music can sound like without being noise.

I can't overstate how sick the new drummer is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_cnhaPgZ04