Author Topic: Ainge got his big at pick 27. Welcome Robert Williams  (Read 43653 times)

Re: Ainge got his big at pick 27. Welcome Robert Williams
« Reply #225 on: June 22, 2018, 01:06:24 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
The more I review Robert Williams he compares much better to Drummond than Capela

Capela is not as explosive as Williams nor Drummond.  Williams ceiling is Drummond but with a shot and better perimeter skills.  Which would be scary

I think Draymond Green is a good comp for Williams.

eh?

naw...they are different

Green is a good athlete but not above rim like Williams.  But Green has top level handles, iq for a PF (one of the best in the league).

« Reply #226 on: June 22, 2018, 01:08:54 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
The more I review Robert Williams he compares much better to Drummond than Capela

Capela is not as explosive as Williams nor Drummond.  Williams ceiling is Drummond but with a shot and better perimeter skills.  Which would be scary

eh?

naw...they are different

Green is a good athlete but not above rim like Williams.  But Green has top level handles, iq for a PF (one of the best in the league).

I think he meant in terms of defensive intensity/wingspan/height, but other than that, they play nothing alike. Hopefully, Horford can instill his passing acumen into Williams.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #227 on: June 22, 2018, 01:13:23 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
ByJayKing
Robert Williams said he went to a relative's house last night right after the draft and went to sleep because he was so tired. His sister informed him this morning about the missed conference call.

« Reply #228 on: June 22, 2018, 01:13:49 PM »

Offline Chief Macho

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 84
Like I said in the other thread,  he reminds me of a Theo Ratliff

« Reply #229 on: June 22, 2018, 01:19:41 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
Adam Himmelsbach

Verified account

@AdamHimmelsbach
 3m3 minutes ago
More
Robert Williams: "I feel like I love defense. I feel like most of all, I thrive off of defense."

Am I the only one who thinks it's weird that his best attributes are his defense and rebounding but his big question is his competitiveness? How many players have you ever heard of that are lazy but great defenders?
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #230 on: June 22, 2018, 01:20:22 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
ByJayKing
Robert Williams is pumped up to work with Al Horford.

"Horford is a great example, a great vet. He leads everyone so I'm happy to be around him."

Williams also said he's excited to land in such a "great organization."

« Reply #231 on: June 22, 2018, 01:21:05 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
Adam Himmelsbach

Verified account

@AdamHimmelsbach
 3m3 minutes ago
More
Robert Williams: "I feel like I love defense. I feel like most of all, I thrive off of defense."

Am I the only one who thinks it's weird that his best attributes are his defense and rebounding but his big question is his competitiveness? How many players have you ever heard of that are lazy but great defenders?

Andre Drummond, LeBron James, Westbrook, Rajon Rondo, and a few others come to mind.

« Reply #232 on: June 22, 2018, 01:21:06 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
Adam Himmelsbach

Verified account

@AdamHimmelsbach
 3m3 minutes ago
More

cousins? Then again cousins isn't the most amazing defender

« Reply #233 on: June 22, 2018, 01:22:06 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Adam Himmelsbach

Verified account

@AdamHimmelsbach
 3m3 minutes ago
More

Drummond had a bad rap about lack of competitiveness

Look how he turned out (considered a steal)

« Reply #234 on: June 22, 2018, 01:24:37 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150

eh?

naw...they are different

I think he meant in terms of defensive intensity/wingspan/height, but other than that, they play nothing alike. Hopefully, Horford can instill his passing acumen into Williams.

They are different but he's a defender like Green. Williams is only 20 and his handle, while not Green's, is decent for a big man. Williams has potential to function like Green does. I can see Williams guarding LeBron and switching onto guards etc... What pick was Green?

« Reply #235 on: June 22, 2018, 01:25:47 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
Now I know the reason he didn't pick  up, Ainge called him bob yesterday during the rozier call:

ESPNForsberg
Biggest takeaways from Robert Williams’ rescheduled conference call:

* Celtics should buy him a new phone (bonus if it has an alarm)

* He does not want to be called Bob

* He was very tired after a busy draft day

Quoted with emphasis for the hilarity of that particular aspect of Forsberg's take.   ;D

LOL.

He's gonna need a non-Bob nickname.

I can't believe we got a lottery talent at 27. Ridiculous luck.

Bona fide comparisons to Drummond and Jordan. Edit: And Ratliff!
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #236 on: June 22, 2018, 01:38:30 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

eh?

naw...they are different

They are different but he's a defender like Green. Williams is only 20 and his handle, while not Green's, is decent for a big man. Williams has potential to function like Green does. I can see Williams guarding LeBron and switching onto guards etc... What pick was Green?

2nd round... 30ish

Green came into the league where traditional centers still had value

« Reply #237 on: June 22, 2018, 01:40:44 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas

eh?

naw...they are different

Oh yeah I know, that's what I meant by defensive intensity/versatility. He's been asked to switch on guards, and can recover rather quickly.

Green was the 35th, and was apparently beloved by Mike Zarren.

The Boston Celtics had two first-round picks in the 2012 NBA draft, and neither of them were used to select Draymond Green, a transcendent two-way force who’s single-handedly proving how influential a defender can be.

This was a mistake, but isn’t one anyone can fault the Celtics for making when 28 other teams did the exact same thing. The Golden State Warriors eventually snatched Green up in the second round (as their third pick of the draft), and the rest is history.

But at this year’s Sloan Sports Analytics Conference in Boston, former Celtics forward Brian Scalabrine revealed that the team’s assistant general manager, Mike Zarren, once had Green ranked third on his draft board. Instead, Boston selected Jared Sullinger at 21 and Fab Melo at 22.

« Reply #238 on: June 22, 2018, 01:41:57 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

eh?

naw...they are different

Oh yeah I know, that's what I meant by defensive intensity/versatility. He's been asked to switch on guards, and can recover rather quickly.

The Boston Celtics had two first-round picks in the 2012 NBA draft, and neither of them were used to select Draymond Green, a transcendent two-way force who’s single-handedly proving how influential a defender can be.

This was a mistake, but isn’t one anyone can fault the Celtics for making when 28 other teams did the exact same thing. The Golden State Warriors eventually snatched Green up in the second round (as their third pick of the draft), and the rest is history.

But at this year’s Sloan Sports Analytics Conference in Boston, former Celtics forward Brian Scalabrine revealed that the team’s assistant general manager, Mike Zarren, once had Green ranked third on his draft board. Instead, Boston selected Jared Sullinger at 21 and Fab Melo at 22.

Danny and Docs fault

« Reply #239 on: June 22, 2018, 01:43:15 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas

eh?

naw...they are different

Danny and Docs fault

Everyone else besides the GSW missed out on him. Can't fault him alone for that... It happens when you're picking that late in the draft. This only tells you how valuable Mike Zarren is.