Author Topic: Ainge got his big at pick 27. Welcome Robert Williams  (Read 43692 times)

Re: Ainge got his big at pick 27. Welcome Robert Williams
« Reply #255 on: June 22, 2018, 03:10:20 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
Adam Himmelsbach

Verified account

@AdamHimmelsbach
 3m3 minutes ago
More
Robert Williams: "I feel like I love defense. I feel like most of all, I thrive off of defense."

Am I the only one who thinks it's weird that his best attributes are his defense and rebounding but his big question is his competitiveness? How many players have you ever heard of that are lazy but great defenders?
Defense and rebounding. Because shooting, post moves, and free throw shooting actually require putting in the hours...

With his physical tools, just playing hard on defense and rim running may be enough to stick in the rotation. Maybe it's true that he hasn't had the professional work ethic to really hone himself skill-wise, but Texas A&M also isn't the Celtics in terms of the support & training available.

« Reply #256 on: June 22, 2018, 03:25:39 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
Adam Himmelsbach

Verified account

@AdamHimmelsbach
 3m3 minutes ago
More
Robert Williams: "I feel like I love defense. I feel like most of all, I thrive off of defense."

Am I the only one who thinks it's weird that his best attributes are his defense and rebounding but his big question is his competitiveness? How many players have you ever heard of that are lazy but great defenders?
Defense and rebounding. Because shooting, post moves, and free throw shooting actually require putting in the hours...

With his physical tools, just playing hard on defense and rim running may be enough to stick in the rotation. Maybe it's true that he hasn't had the professional work ethic to really hone himself skill-wise, but Texas A&M also isn't the Celtics in terms of the support & training available.

Even if he was "coasting" he was a heck of a player. I mean he really is able to increase his effort we could have a monster on our hands. Compare his college stats to Embiid:

Embiid:

ORtg: 116.6 DRtg: 90.9
PER 28.2 eFG% .629 2P% .639 3P% .200
ORBD % 12.7 DRBD% 27.3 Block % 11.7
WS 3.4 WS/40 .213
OBPM 4.7 DBPM 10.2 BPM 14.9

Williams:

ORtg: 113.5 DRtg: 90.2
PER 25.5 eFG% .632 2P% .668 3P% .111
ORBD % 10.2 DRBD% 26.8 Block % 10.4
WS 3.5 WS/40 .184
OBPM 2.5 DBPM 9.4 BPM 11.9

Doesn't look that bad in comparison. He probably won't be Embiid of course but potential is very high..

« Reply #257 on: June 22, 2018, 03:28:23 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
6'10, 240 lbs, 7'5 wingspan, 40" vertical.  Am I missing something here?  I don't see why people are not doing cartwheels over this pick.  If you watched Brad Stevens interview you will actually see him smile/smirk when talking about Williams.  That's a surefire sign that Brad is very pleased with this draft selection and he already has ideas how he could use him.

https://youtu.be/PTrzMWk9Y5c

Our head coach emphasized the words athletic and above the rim.  Rob Williams brings us a dynamic and athletic rim protector to Boston! 

Really can't ask more from the #27 pick.  Honestly Williams could have been taken in the top 10-15 picks and nobody would have batted an eyelash.

Check out his athleticism alone and tell me that isn't tantalizing potential!  He could become a physically dominant 5 if he reaches his ceiling.

https://youtu.be/LwMuMY73Tgo

« Reply #258 on: June 22, 2018, 03:33:50 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
I think this was a BEAUTIFUL pick at #27. Usually at #27, you go for the guy with the most upside and hope someone falls a bit so you can grab him. Robert Williams was that guy last night, and he was presumed a lottery pick not long ago.

I know folks were looking at Bruce Brown, Khyri Thomas, Grayson Allen, etc., but honestly those guys mainly projected as role players in this league with decent-but-not-that-high upside.

Is there risk? Yes, but it's a gamble worth taking IMO. Also, he may not be as polished as Tatum was, but I think the C's can afford to wait a year if needed to let him get more adjusted (like Jaylen his first year). Having guys like Horford, CBS, hopefully Smart, etc. should help him with his maturity and adjusting to the league as well.

And I know the logic is usually always to take the best player available, but I think it was a HUGE BONUS for us to land the BPA at #27 that ALSO fills a need for us (athletic, shot-blocking big who has the upside to be like Clint Capela or DeAndre Jordan). And we don't even need to rely on Williams to score in bunches to win games each night (the way our team is constructed). I mean, Capela and Jordan don't usually score 18+ a night for their teams, but they are still all-star caliber players who contribute and help their respective teams a ton, right?  

Ultimately, we may need to be patient with Williams in his rookie year, but there's a lot of potential and there's a reason most Draft experts think this could be the late "steal" of the 1st round  ;D
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #259 on: June 22, 2018, 03:42:22 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Adam Himmelsbach

Verified account

@AdamHimmelsbach
 3m3 minutes ago
More

Even if he was "coasting" he was a heck of a player. I mean he really is able to increase his effort we could have a monster on our hands. Compare his college stats to Embiid:

Embiid:

ORtg: 116.6 DRtg: 90.9
PER 28.2 eFG% .629 2P% .639 3P% .200
ORBD % 12.7 DRBD% 27.3 Block % 11.7
WS 3.4 WS/40 .213
OBPM 4.7 DBPM 10.2 BPM 14.9

Williams:

ORtg: 113.5 DRtg: 90.2
PER 25.5 eFG% .632 2P% .668 3P% .111
ORBD % 10.2 DRBD% 26.8 Block % 10.4
WS 3.5 WS/40 .184
OBPM 2.5 DBPM 9.4 BPM 11.9

Doesn't look that bad in comparison. He probably won't be Embiid of course but potential is very high..

TP for the solid info.

This is also considering the fact they lost their PG, RW got suspended for a few games, and playing out of position. He's going to be a perfect asset and scary on defense.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #260 on: June 22, 2018, 03:46:11 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
So it's confirmed he overslept. Laker forums were laughing about it (http://forums.lakersground.net/viewtopic.php?t=183331&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=11775) even after last night they wondered how Celtics stole Williams from them. Seems they're coping still

Robert Williams, the Boston Celtics' first-round selection in the 2018 draft, admitted he overslept the team's originally scheduled introductory conference call on Friday morning, although the team believes it was simply a miscommunication compounded by different time zones.

The Celtics snagged Williams with the No. 27 pick but ran into troubles trying to get him on the phone in the aftermath of the selection, including with Friday's 11 a.m. EST call.

"Right after the draft, I actually ran to my aunt's house and went to sleep because I was so tired from everything," Williams said Friday afternoon in a call that took place an hour later than originally scheduled. "When I woke up, my sister woke me up, she said, 'You have a conference call.'"

Williams later noted that it was, "a good night's sleep after a busy two days."

The Celtics were not concerned about the missed call, in part because of the time difference. Poor audio hindered the follow-up call as Williams' phone broke up repeatedly while answering questions during a 10-minute session with reporters.

The Celtics plan to formally introduce Williams next Friday in Boston.

Williams, an athletic 6-foot-10 big man out of Texas A&M, was ranked No. 12 on ESPN's final predraft big board, but there were concerns about both a knee injury and his approach to the game. Missing the initial call, accidental or otherwise, did not seemingly help dispel some of those concerns as social media had a field day with his absence.

The Celtics were deemed one of the night's winners after Williams slid to them. Williams seems to already have motivation from those that doubt him, especially after falling in the first round.

"You always have people that doubt you," said Williams. "I know that I'm definitely going to make a lot of noise when I get there."

Some wondered if Williams hurt his stock by returning for a sophomore season with the Aggies, but he said he does not second-guess his decision.

"Definitely no regrets," said Williams. "I definitely feel like everything happens for a reason."

« Reply #261 on: June 22, 2018, 03:54:07 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Anyhow, God I hope this pans out. If he's nearly as good as the Robert Parish, can we call him the Little Chief?
I prefer his Mom's knickname for him.

Boo Butt.

Not bad ;D, but I've got a new one for him - phone home ::).

« Reply #262 on: June 22, 2018, 03:57:14 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
ESPNForsberg
Biggest takeaways from Robert Williams’ rescheduled conference call:

* Celtics should buy him a new phone (bonus if it has an alarm)

* He does not want to be called Bob

* He was very tired after a busy draft day

So is every order draft pick, ever! Tired is the excuse? Man, I pray he grows up soon! He bought his mother a truck, he can afford 1000 alarm clocks and phones.

Last night I did a lot of searching and watching him and I came away with the thought that he could be excellent but I also saw he is a lot like Terry on social media but what I didn't see was Terry's work ethic. I found no one saying he was a hard worker. No videos of him doing anything other than flexing with a chain on him styling on pushups. Looking at pre draft workouts and he used the same answers each time as if coached, there was no deviation. What he did say was that all the teams kept telling him he needs to give more effort out there.

It's so weird learning about him because he seems like a guy we haven't picked in a long time. It's as though we went with only hard workers over the last few seasons, I hope he finds his way to that but I'm not feeling it (I know my opinion doesn't matter lol). Seems like a classic coaster.

S/N: we will know early if he is a worker because either CBS/DA will say he does or he doesn't. I have found they tell it like it is in that regard. Told us about guys that worked hard but also told us about Sully and Young when they didn't.

TP :).

« Reply #263 on: June 22, 2018, 03:57:36 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
Anyhow, God I hope this pans out. If he's nearly as good as the Robert Parish, can we call him the Little Chief?

Boo Butt.

;D ;D ;D

Sister should just start calling him CC.

He'll be like, "what does that mean?"

"Conference call. You missed a conference call, again."

« Reply #264 on: June 22, 2018, 04:01:07 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
https://twitter.com/adamhimmelsbach/status/1010179244545265664?s=21

Himmelsbach says it was a miscommunication on both sides

Not a good sign when you’re barely 12 hours in and already need to do damage control.  His agent should have made sure he was available — unless he’s already gotten rid of his second agent since April.

This guy is GOLD ::).

« Reply #265 on: June 22, 2018, 04:03:12 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
https://twitter.com/adamhimmelsbach/status/1010179244545265664?s=21

Himmelsbach says it was a miscommunication on both sides

Not a good sign when you’re barely 12 hours in and already need to do damage control.  His agent should have made sure he was available — unless he’s already gotten rid of his second agent since April.

This guy is GOLD ::).

Lol, you really don't like this pick.

« Reply #266 on: June 22, 2018, 04:05:36 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
This was a good pick,  7'5" wingspan, can guard the perimeter, 6'10" with a 40 inch vertical !

https://www.facebook.com/bleacherreport/videos/10154878620491006/

He lacks skills but lordy does he have potential.

Stevens said he's very high on him.

I still wanted Spellman, but I'm gonna trust Steven's judgement.

I don't like the fact he had immaturity issues and terrible shooting mechanics, but we gotta give him a chance.

Man, they say that same crap every year, lol ::) ;D. Didn't Stevens also say that R.J. Hunter was going to have a great career ::)? I just, I can't, lol ;D.

Don't get me wrong, I'll certainly be watching the guy in the Summer League, etc., but it's just never a good idea to take any guy with a sub-par motor and/or work ethic, imo, as those are characteristics that you simply cannot teach, in my view. You've either got it or you don't, to me, but we'll see as to what happens.

Had Williams been drafted by the Warriors, for example, I could have seen that possibly panning out owing to Draymond and company constantly being in his ear and all that comes with being immersed in a championship environment, but I really don't know about this one, man, and what's the deal with Khyri Thomas?

All this complaining about Williams when your binky didn't even get drafted? ROFL

Yes, I have legitimate concerns about Williams - sue me ::).

Given your track record of Celtic picks you have disparaged in the past (Jaylen Brown, Terry Rozier), Williams will probablyl turn out to be a spectacular pick.

Actually, I thought that Rozier was okay, and while I would not have picked him, myself, I could at least see as to why Ainge liked him in that Terry is an athletic combo guard who can create his own shot.

Still, at least Rozier stayed up for the conference call, even if he did jump into a pool right after being drafted, lol ::) ;D.

Having said all of that, yes, I was wrong about Brown :), and I really do hope that Williams pans out, but I just don't like taking players with questionable motors and/or problems related to work ethic, among other things :-\.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 04:23:23 PM by Beat LA »

« Reply #267 on: June 22, 2018, 04:07:56 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
Some very smart posters here, like Salt and Roy, seem very bearish on Williams.  Don't be fooled, I've scouted pretty well over the past decade to 12 years when I bother to watch, and I think Williams is a great pick, and attones for passing on DeAndre Jordan.

For reference, I was on record for Tatum last year, was perhaps the most vocal Kyrie trade supporter (i posted videos of IT and Kyrie showing how Kyrie was simply better, stats be [dang]ed) and after we got Morris I immediately researched and stated we won that trade. 

So I feel my opinion has been overall pretty solid the past year, and I love this pick.  This is not like selecting Fab Melo or Deyonta Davis, it's like picking DeAndre Jordan or Willie Caulie-Stein.

Not sure the motor criticisms are fair. His drb% is on par with the tops in the country, and much higher than JJJ and he has a very high block % as well.

It’s not like picking Willie Cauley-Stein.  WCS is not and will never be a perfect player, but he took a step forward in college every year.  Williams was the same player this year as he was last year.  He got suspended for 3 games at the beginning of the season for violating team rules (presumably pot). His on-court effort issues are widely agreed upon.

I get the pick.  I think it was the correct one.  I just think people are way too excited about him and are setting themselves up for disappointment.  It’s a lot easier for me to see him never making it into the Celtics rotation than it is for me to see him as a foundational piece, or even really a useful on that leaves after his rookie deal.  I hope he reaches his considerable ceiling, or even gets 80% of the way there. That would make the Celtics future even more bright than it already is.  I don’t see it happening, but I’d love to be wrong.

Just curious if you did indeed watch A&M games at all, or just basing this on what you've seen on highlights/draft videos?

There was absolutely no floor spacing. There were a lot of injuries. Their point guard Caldwell was kicked off the team, two other teammates also got suspended for a few games, and he was next to a non-floor stretching big. And no competent passers for a lob catching/rim running big.

Robert Williams fell supposedly due to his motor, and knee issues, but from what I've seen. He is a threat for a lob every time.

Positives:
Can handle the ball somewhat, will be able to do give and go's.
Midrange shot is still weak, but showed a lot of improvement.
Lob catcher, A&M threw lobs from almost full court, (despite how many frugal passers there were on the team,) and explosive athlete.
His passing is actually underrated skill set of his.
Elite defender, smart at keeping ball within the court

Negatives:
How worrisome are knee concerns
Not a fluid athlete
Handling/shooting form is very suspect, very inconsistent
Doesn't do a lot of the little things
Passing needs more shape up

Basically all of his concerns minus shooting/ball handling, a good coach/leader can inspire him to do better.

Capela/DeAndre Jordan literally couldn't shoot a mid range to save their life. I think Williams could.

Ok Salt, so I see you aren't sooo bearish, but re: WCS, you wanna compare his freshman stats to Robert Williams?  Because they aren't even comparable. 

Just because Williams stayed another year and his stock fell, like other defensive wizards Marcus Smart and Joakim Noah, doesn't diminish the fact that he was a lottery freshman in the very deep 2017 draft, and could be a real find for us.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #268 on: June 22, 2018, 04:11:37 PM »

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 286
If RW3 overslept the day after the draft that's okay with me.

I still remember the day after the draft that the Celtics took Len Bias.

« Reply #269 on: June 22, 2018, 04:24:49 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji

Boo Butt.

;D ;D ;D

Sister should just start calling him CC.

He'll be like, "what does that mean?"

"Conference call. You missed a conference call, again."

Lol, happy 500th TP for that one ;D.