Author Topic: Rondo impresses Gary Payton but dislike everything about the NBA  (Read 8281 times)

Re: Rondo impresses Gary Payton but dislike everything about the NBA
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2014, 07:40:23 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
I don't agree with much in the article at all.
I love the Glove, but his 'good old days' tone is in full effect here. I believe the elite defenses of today would simply crush most 80's and 90's teams full of isolation basketball with no zone allowed.

Modern basketball has evolved to a game of complete perfection and athleticism combined. To think that the grandpa San antonio Spurs could take a team of Lebron, Wade and Bosh to 7 games and almost win in game 6 is something that I don't believe could ever happen in the 80's and 90's. Or our Celtics in 2012 could take the Heat to 7 games in the ECF simply through our defense is something you'd rarely see in the 90's wave of athletes and iso-ball. (perhaps you'd see the 2012 defenses slightly more in the 80's)
Same with the Mavs vs the Heat in 2011.
I think the game is still based around superstars but it's based around defensive toughness and three point shooting that create space for those mega stars.... far more because the zone is allowed now. Skill is paramount, and the athletes are better, but coaching is probably the most important thing in the NBA.
I'm so excited to have Brad Stephens because he is one of these brilliant minds.
I do miss the 'thug life' factor of 90's basketball like the Pacers and Pistons, as well as the Bad Boys of the 80's but the game has become simply beautiful to watch from a technical stand point (at least if you're watching the top 6 or so teams).

Statistics and math are so evolved in basketball and they'll only continue to play a bigger part. There's a reason Ainge has such a good draft record- he's a numbers guy. The latest draft is perfect evidence of this and the win shares % our picks had. (All top 10 in their position in the NCAA).

To watch a team of such talent like the OKC Thunder lose again and again in crunch time, being exploited by superior coaching is just heartbreaking yet facsinating at the same time.

Greg Popovich's coaching in last years playoff run was one of the greatest achievements in modern basketball in my opinion.
From his strategy vs the Grizzlies and doubling Gasol and Randolph in the post, to running the Thunder off the court and abusing Scott Brooks inability to effectively adjust, topping it off with the spacing required to get Parker and Duncan high percentage looks and Danny Green those three point looks.

One of the biggest changes we are witnessing before our eyes is the evolving factor of size in basketball. We've got a generation of college kids coming through who saw Lebron and Durant dribble the ball around like point guards, and shoot the three like a 2 guard- but those kids are 6 feet 6 point guards and 7 foot small forwards- it's slowly becoming the norm and size isn't dictating what position you play. The 6 foot 9 kid on the high school or AAU team doesn't always have to play center now. He can be point-center. It's an incredible basketball revolution.
Sorry, I do miss the toughness, but the game is superior now- and so are the athletes. Just my opinion and It's cool if you don't agree.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2014, 08:17:09 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Wrong thread

« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2014, 09:29:40 AM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
NHL is more violent and more physical than the NBA and they've been drawing more than the NBA.  So family friendly PG programming isn't really answer.  This isn't (pure) entertainment or a TV show, it's sport.  Now I'm not saying should be as violent as the 80's and 90's but physical plays and hard foul should be allowed without turning it into flagrant and stuff.  This is why this generation is the softest of any generation in history...just kids turned (by parents) into bunch of weak sissies
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 09:35:01 AM by Clench123 »

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2014, 05:06:32 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
NHL is more violent and more physical than the NBA and they've been drawing more than the NBA.  So family friendly PG programming isn't really answer.  This isn't (pure) entertainment or a TV show, it's sport.  Now I'm not saying should be as violent as the 80's and 90's but physical plays and hard foul should be allowed without turning it into flagrant and stuff.  This is why this generation is the softest of any generation in history...just kids turned (by parents) into bunch of weak sissies

Looks like you picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue if you really think the NHL outdraws the NBA.

And I enjoy hockey, so that's not a knock on the sport, but basketball is significantly more popular across the globe, and in the US.

Also, TP to chambers for the well thought out response.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.