Author Topic: Stick a fork in em  (Read 8295 times)

Re: Stick a fork in em
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2012, 09:06:06 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
We aren't exactly looking like a 2008 reincarnation but we don't have KG, we don't have Bass. We are on the road and the Pistons are 7 of their last 9 games.

Our turnovers were just horrific.

As I've said before. Let these old stallions gallop into the glue factory/sunset and enjoy their last playoff run.
KG and Pierce and Ray will play with one leg before they concede to not making the playoffs, they have too much pride.

Run horsies ruuuunn!!
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2012, 09:09:02 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 366
The trolls have started to swarm recently.

it's only the first grim tiding of a dark time to come.

Yep...might as well get used to it.  This group is going only to get worse as they age .  Then it may take several seaons to get the right players under contract to move back to the top.

I'm going to stick with DOC though.  Once all the oldies are gone and were in the rebuilding mode, and STILL SUCKING , people will want Doc s head .

Its going to be the DARK AGES for a good while.

maybe, maybe not...depends on Free agency/drafting...the fact that we already have a player in Rondo makes attracting solid players easier than say...for the Bobcats or Pistons

« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2012, 09:10:43 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good

Yep...might as well get used to it.  This group is going only to get worse as they age .  Then it may take several seaons to get the right players under contract to move back to the top.

I'm going to stick with DOC though.  Once all the oldies are gone and were in the rebuilding mode, and STILL SUCKING , people will want Doc s head .

maybe, maybe not...depends on Free agency/drafting...the fact that we already have a player in Rondo makes attracting solid players easier than say...for the Bobcats or Pistons

honestly, the Pistons ought to be more enticing to free agents with Monroe, Stucky, and Brandon Knight.  That's a better core of young players than we have (Rondo, Bradley, Johnson, Moore).
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2012, 09:12:42 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Lately I have not enjoyed watching this team. They play solid defense, but it's painful to watch. They can still make shots but can barely get good shots.

What really worries me is that with the way the big 3 are playing we will get .25 on the dollar for anyone we try to move. I think if we don't make a trade it will be because no one would give us value for them. For the record I expect a move on the first.

I now look forward to reading up on the draft and checking out any thread with a trade machine created deal in it.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2012, 09:14:43 PM »

Offline birdbrady

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 74

Yep...might as well get used to it.  This group is going only to get worse as they age .  Then it may take several seaons to get the right players under contract to move back to the top.

I'm going to stick with DOC though.  Once all the oldies are gone and were in the rebuilding mode, and STILL SUCKING , people will want Doc s head .

honestly, the Pistons ought to be more enticing to free agents with Monroe, Stucky, and Brandon Knight.  That's a better core of young players than we have (Rondo, Bradley, Johnson, Moore).

Except the Pistons already blew all their cap space on Ben Gordon and Charlie V.

Although maybe Detroit will sign Dwight for the MLE because Dwight wants to win so bad, and also play in a vibrant city like Detroit where their economy is off the charts awesome right now.

« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2012, 09:17:04 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo

well, personally I think with an Allstar PG and a coach in Doc rivers who has a proven system that has won a championship and ownership who has proven to spend to win we have as good a shot as anyone at the top FA's...Rondo's a proven player..none of the guys on the Pistons are

I know we all remember the pre-big 3 90s...but honestly that had as much to do with cheap ownership/bad GM's who never invested around pierce/walker

« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2012, 09:18:54 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Rondo = Good

Except the Pistons already blew all their cap space on Ben Gordon and Charlie V.

Although maybe Detroit will sign Dwight for the MLE because Dwight wants to win so bad, and also play in a vibrant city like Detroit where their economy is off the charts awesome right now.

never said they were going to sign Dwight, just pointing out that Detroit has a more enticing group of young players than the Celtics do.

I'd say for the next couple of seasons the Pistons will likely be better than the Celtics.

- Doc Rivers

« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2012, 09:20:10 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Rondo = Good
Lately I have not enjoyed watching this team. They play solid defense, but it's painful to watch. They can still make shots but can barely get good shots.

It's really a struggle watching a team that has to scrape for every field goal.

- Doc Rivers

« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2012, 09:24:19 PM »

Offline birdbrady

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 74

never said they were going to sign Dwight, just pointing out that Detroit has a more enticing group of young players than the Celtics do.

Detroit isn't signing anyone.  You said they would be 'more enticing' because of their young players.  It's not.  They only have the MLE to spend, which I doubt they are using.  Detroit is an absolute mess of a city right now, that team is losing money, they have something pathetic like a 55% attendance capacity right now.  And only like 40% even show up for games.  That's historically bad.  That's 2002 Charlotte Hornets territory when their fans were boycotting the team.  They are of no factor in free agency, despite who they have on their team.

I'd say for the next couple of seasons the Pistons will likely be better than the Celtics.

We'll see.  People said the same thing about the Lakers 2005-2007.  They had a team that looked like they were locked into a forever-7 seed.  Then they got lucky.  These trademark NBA franchises like the Celtics, Lakers, and Knicks will always find their way to be competitive.  Only way it doesn't happen is if you have a complete moron as GM (ML Carr, Isiah Thomas.)  Only the Bulls took the 'tank' rout.  And many people will point out - look how it worked out for them, they got Rose! Yeah, after throwing away an entire decade.

« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2012, 09:25:25 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo

I think playing with Rondo may be more enticing to a free agent than a bunch of non-proven(but with potential) youngsters...OJ mayo and Josh smith have already said as much theyd like to play with him.

you act like we will be rolling out a team of scrubs next year...theres no telling what danny plans to do. but I doubt its fully building through the draft.

« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2012, 09:29:46 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Rondo = Good

I think playing with Rondo may be more enticing to a free agent than a bunch of non-proven(but with potential) youngsters...OJ mayo and Josh smith have already said as much theyd like to play with him.

you act like we will be rolling out a team of scrubs next year...theres no telling what danny plans to do. but I doubt its fully building through the draft.

well, if Danny is smart, we will be rolling out a team of scrubs next season, with perhaps Rondo and a few veteran role players signed on low-cost deals.

- Doc Rivers

« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2012, 09:31:13 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Rondo = Good

Detroit isn't signing anyone.  You said they would be 'more enticing' because of their young players.  It's not.  They only have the MLE to spend, which I doubt they are using.  Detroit is an absolute mess of a city right now, that team is losing money, they have something pathetic like a 55% attendance capacity right now.  And only like 40% even show up for games.  That's historically bad.  That's 2002 Charlotte Hornets territory when their fans were boycotting the team.  They are of no factor in free agency, despite who they have on their team.

We'll see.  People said the same thing about the Lakers 2005-2007.  They had a team that looked like they were locked into a forever-7 seed.  Then they got lucky.  These trademark NBA franchises like the Celtics, Lakers, and Knicks will always find their way to be competitive.  Only way it doesn't happen is if you have a complete moron as GM (ML Carr, Isiah Thomas.)  Only the Bulls took the 'tank' rout.  And many people will point out - look how it worked out for them, they got Rose! Yeah, after throwing away an entire decade.

again, my point wasn't about what the Pistons actually have to spend.  just suggesting the players might be more excited to play alongside a talented young center and a couple of athletic scoring guards than Rondo and a bunch of scrubs.

- Doc Rivers

« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2012, 09:46:34 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 733
The C's are in year five of a three year plan. Their play isn't that surprising if you think about it.

A very accurate perspective that we often forget.

this would not be nearly as painful as it is right now if this group had gotten that second banner i think they deserved either in '09 (KG knee) or '10 (Stern's striped henchmen).
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 09:52:41 PM by tenn_smoothie »
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2012, 09:50:27 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo

well, if Danny is smart, we will be rolling out a team of scrubs next season, with perhaps Rondo and a few veteran role players signed on low-cost deals.

well, thats if he strikes out in FA...reach out to D.howard, Eric Gordon etc.(although id prefer we draft austin rivers)

« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2012, 09:52:53 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Rondo = Good
The C's are in year five of a three year plan. Their play isn't that surprising if you think about it.

A very accurate perspective that we often forget.

this would not be nearly as painful as it is right now if this group had gotten that second banner i think they deserved either in '09 (KG knee) or '10 (Stern's striped henchmen).

very true.

well, thats if he strikes out in FA...reach out to D.howard, Eric Gordon etc.(although id prefer we draft austin rivers)

The only big time UFA are Dwight and Deron.  I don't think there's even a slight chance either will come here.  The rest of the major FA are restricted, meaning we'd have to totally overpay to get one of them.

We'll be working with two mid to late 1st round picks in the draft, so I'm not expecting any miracles there.

- Doc Rivers